1,637 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful!
Published on October 11, 2006 by Cappi Lipaj

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it even free.
This book is bad on so many levels...

*SPOILER ALERT*

1. Excessive foul language: really it was not needed except to lengthen the book considerably.
2. Uncle Harry: He really grated on my nerves, besides cussing with just about every breath he took his mind was constantly in the gutter, not a likable character at all.
3. The "other" woman:...
Published on September 30, 2012 by Fan of the classics

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful!, October 11, 2006
In A Family Affair, we watch Christine, a successful lawyer who feels compelled to confront her late father's mistress, a woman she is prepared to loathe. Instead, what she finds in Magdalena turns her well-ordered life upside down. Campisi's use of contrast in both characterization and plot creates a wonderful tension that is nothing short of masterful. Note to the author: I'll be disppointed if I don't hear more about the warm and wonderful folks in Magdalena, especially Miriam, my favorite.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it even free., September 30, 2012
This review is from: A Family Affair: Truth in Lies (Truth in Lies, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is bad on so many levels...

*SPOILER ALERT*

3. The "other" woman: Really, she rattles on about "God's will" while she had been having an affair with a married man and not one bit sorry for it, plus she was portrayed as being some kind of saint, as was the cheating husband.
3. Nate: There was nothing about this character that I liked, while I understand it is natural to defend a parent, he was old enough to realize that his mother was as much to blame for his little sister not having a steady father as the man she was cheating with, they BOTH made the choice and he was wrong to say that whether or not she was willing is not the point, it is exactly the point. Plus I find it hard to believe that the main character would throw herself at a man who constantly blamed her for something she had no control over, his attitude was sickening and she should have told him to get lost.

The whole thing left me with a bit of a depressed feeling that took a little while to shake off, I guess it was because this cheating couple was made out to be a pair of saints by a whole town and made it to seem like what they did was all right.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Top Ten, July 19, 2012
Nenebird (San Diego County, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I guess I am starting to produce reviews more regularily. For me the highest compliment is to have read a book and not felt like it was a waste of my time.

Real characters, real situations and stories where people change, realize, reflect and move on seem to be my favorites.

A Family Affair has all these elements. Great read, awesome story development and at the end satisfaction of reading a story well told....

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of the story....but one of the author, sometimes, October 3, 2011
There was no problem with the style of writing, but seriously... Miriam was like the saint in the book and the heroine's father the misunderstood elder son who deserved happiness. And unless there are some "serious" issues with parents and children (which don't come across as such, I know those who are much worse), a child typically doesn't question a more familial connection with the "other woman" over her mother because she has a simpler life, and if she does surely it would take longer than 2 visits. The only character that I believe was true to form was Nate, the hero. Real emotions. Real expressions. He might have had illusions of his own father, but Miriam's side thoughts about the type of man the father was, wasn't sound enough. The relationship with another woman's husband shouldn't have been more fulfilling than wanting something of her own. I just don't see how anyone, fact or fiction, could justify accepting grains of love and life. More self-love, in my opinion would nip that in the bud. And goodness the mother and the uncle of the heroine, I won't even get started on. Honestly aside from Lily and Nate, there wasn't much redeemable about the story line. All the characters seem so out of touch with reality that liking the book was not possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story!, August 3, 2008
The book was my very first love story. I love to read mysteries and never steered away from that. I borrowed this book from a friend and could not put it down. This book is an absolute page turner!

1.0 out of 5 stars Left me feeling annoyed., October 2, 2013
Mom O'3 (Oak Ridge, TN) - See all my reviews
I wasn't able to really sympathize with, like and/or respect any of the characters... except Lily. I also don't care for books filled with profanity, crude descriptions of women and explicit sex between people that I don't even 'buy' would like each other. I agree with other reviewers that a book rating system, like that for movies, would be helpful for those of us who would rather choose books without these elements. I was distracted by the repetition of the characters' thoughts and (annoying) actions such as lighting cigarettes and the pouring, pouring, pouring of Jack Daniels. I'm afraid I only finished it because I have a pathetic need to know how it ends.

I am torn about leaving less-than-glowing reviews, I feel for creative souls that put their work out there for others to critique. At the same time, honest reviews allow potential readers to decide if this is the kind of book they are looking for. I also hope to perhaps encourage authors to write stories that hold-up without the foul language, that leave a little to the imagination on some topics and where young women (and older ones) don't sell themselves so cheaply.

3.0 out of 5 stars Was the excessive profanity and excessive sexual descriptions necessary?, July 30, 2012
The storyline and the characters were well developed, but the unnecessary profanity and explicit sexual encounters were inappropriate. Had I known the book had so much of this inappropriate material I would not have purchased it!

5.0 out of 5 stars i loved this book, July 19, 2012
stephanie (Fort Worth, Texas) - See all my reviews
This book was not what i was expecting. I was expectimg to find this trite and medial, but it wasn't. I fell in love with Miriam, Lily, and Chrissie. Uncle Harry was a welcomed presence and Nate grew on me. I was expecting to read through this book and be partially amused, but it turned out to be a heart warming tale of famly and struggling to find oneself through turmoil, comfusion, and the knowledge that life isn't always as it seems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twists, turns and totally engaging, August 16, 2011
I was smitten with this book within moments of starting it. Couldn't put it down and when I did, I couldn't wait to pick it up again. So many lies, so much deceit and I found myself feeling compassion for all of the characters. So many surprising spots in the story. It will keep you wondering throughout and you'll look for another great read by Mary Campisi. I know I am right now. A terrific story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time to read, November 24, 2012
A Family Affair
This story was implausible and boring. It was written like a cheesy soap opera. The author had trouble coming up with expletives. They all kept saying Jesus over and over. The families were mildly disfunctional with no really likable characters. None of them had any really good reason for their bad behavior. I am not opposed to sex in my books but it seemed out of place in this book. The book was free so it wasn't a waste of money but definitely a waste of time.