5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Array of Issues with an Outstanding Cast
Published on February 5, 2012 by CC Baby

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept
I really like the concept, and the plot. The writing was okay and the acting okay. It is not a bad movie but I really would not have spent money to purchase it had I watched it before hand.
Published on March 13, 2012 by qw33n

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Array of Issues with an Outstanding Cast, February 5, 2012
This review is from: "Family" (Amazon Instant Video)
Just rented "Family" and i must say i was thoroughly surprised for a B-list movie. I felt like the movie gave a great representation of black lesbians and the many issues that surround coming out, sexual identity, and dealing with one's professional image. I would totally recommend viewing this film especially if you are an ethnic woman in your late 20's to mid 30's who may be struggling with coming to terms with being gay. The acting was actually pretty good and convincing for being a lower budget film. I wish they would produce a sequel because this film has so much potential and room to take the storyline to new heights.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - relatively good quality for a small budget film., December 16, 2011
This review is from: "Family" (Amazon Instant Video)
This film was enjoyable. It presented a topic that is rarely touch upon - and it did that with class. Understanding that this is a low budget film, with a novice director and editor, you can really appreciate the story line, and overall quality. Kudos to Faith Trimel. I hope she inspires others to make films which highlight the diverse lives of black lesbians.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept, March 13, 2012
This review is from: "Family" (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, October 7, 2012
This review is from: "Family" (Amazon Instant Video)
I saw the title of this movie on another website. It is a great movie show casing african american lesbians and the realities of the world lived in. Hats off for a great production.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family - A Must See, January 3, 2012
This review is from: "Family" (DVD)
Never heard of this film but ended up purchasing it after it was recommended by Amazon and I must say, I LOVED THIS FILM. I came out in college but I can understand the challenges this group of women faces trying to come out in their 30s. Great acting by some beautiful actresses and a terrific storyline.

I would say this is a must see for all members of the LGBT community. And I would add that the issues of challenges with family, conflicts with friends and matters of the heart are universal problems that everyone must deal with and can relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific movie, well worth the price, December 20, 2013
This review is from: "Family" (Amazon Instant Video)
I'm pretty hard on black movies overall and this is one of the best I've seen.

POSITIVES:
This is one really great story! It is skillfully woven and incorporates a really wide range of experiences. I truly believe that every bisexual or lesbian African-American woman can find some character or situation to connect with. Well acted, well directed, well cut, and artistically-filmed. More than once I laughed, I cried, and I actually said out loud "this is really good!"

NEGATIVES:
Honestly, after reading the negative reviews I expected this movie to be much lower level than it was. Yes, once you saw the camera man's shadow, once someone coughed in the background and a few times you could tell the difference in the image quality (probably due to the shifts in cameras). Frankly, however, most of the actors were extremely good (minus one really noticeably inconsistent Jamaican accent).

OVERALL: This movie is definitely worth watching. Rent it at least.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for young adults, April 3, 2013
This review is from: "Family" (Amazon Instant Video)
This started out like a real stinker, as in skunk stink. But, we stayed with it and it turned out to be a very good representation of the trials and tribulations of being lesbians. If you can wade through the first 10 or so minutes, it will be worth your time. Youngsters wouldn't appreciate how these women have suffered throughout their lives, mainly because today's LGBT community doesn't face the fear factor in being gay/lesbian. Thank God they can be out and proud and that society today is finally, step by step, giving ALL of us equality. I had a time trying to keep a couple of the characters straight but it honestly didn't effect the movie. I AM glad we rented it instead of buying it. Good rental, not for owning. Of course, that's our opinion. You may decide to buy after watching it. Glad we watched it. Oh, btw, we're in our mid 60's and have been together over 46 years. ;o)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that great a movie but not that bad either. A nice Lesbain film., June 4, 2014
Carol Clarke "zenabuff" (Hell sometimes called Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: "Family" (Amazon Instant Video)
A nice lesbian film about a group of woman who have become like a small family to each other. Small Dyke drama here and there, a little love story tossed in, On Lesbian who falls for a male. And how her friends judge her which I thought was dumb, love is to hard to find if you find it at all be happy for that person don't judge. But that just me. Anyway as I day dyke drama and family. Bring on the sister sledge. "We our Family I Got all my Sister and Me."

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MOVIE!!, May 31, 2014
This review is from: "Family" (Amazon Instant Video)
I loved this movie so much it was so good and exciting. I feel it was well done.. Most black lesbian movies are poorly made but this one was awesome and quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars IMPRESSIVE MOVIE..., May 26, 2014
This review is from: "Family" (Amazon Instant Video)
The movie held my attention...it was more informative & inspriational than I'd anticipated. I keep it as one of my favorites that I reply frequently....LOVE IT!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

"Family"
"Family" by Faith Trimel (DVD - 2011)
$14.95