5.0 out of 5 stars Fashion, Finally!
Published on February 28, 2005 by Tina Martinez

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but a bit disappointing
Published on September 27, 2004 by Alison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but a bit disappointing, September 27, 2004
Alison (Brooklyn, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Circle Easy Plus-Size Knits: 50 Knit and Crochet Styles (Hardcover)
I was very excited to see a book for Plus Size knitwear. I got my copy and the illustrations look clear, lots of variety in the pattern. So what don't I like? There are 50 patterns - only 10 go up to size 3x. I will say that 40 patterns (including some one size ones) do go up to size 2x. However why include patterns that stop at Large or Extra Large? Swirl of Gold (p. 34) is very attractive but only goes up to size Large - I don't think it should have been included. I'm glad to have the 10 patterns that will fit me - I just wish there had been more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fashion, Finally!, February 28, 2005
I fell in love with this book while I was browsing in JoAnn's. I had only read the two reviews here on Amazon so I was leery of the title when I saw it. Lo and behold, when I opened it up I found a wealth of beautiful patterns for plus size women, and none of that frumpy, crappy "mens" sweater stuff either. They had beautiful long duster sweaters, v-necks, cowl necks... anything a plus size gal could reasonably expect. All but one of the patterns I saw went to at least a 2x, and the majority went to a 3x. Matters of taste differ, as we all know, but I found the patterns to be stylish, flattering, and interesting. Of course there were a couple I wouldn't be caught dead in, but you can't like them all.

I was truly inspired by the patterns I saw in this book. I recommend this brand (FC Easy Knitting) all the time in it's magazine form, and now I know I'll be buying this ASAP to make my first sweater from. If you want beautiful, trendy (but not TOO trendy) plus size sweaters that you'll actually wear now (and years from now), this is the book for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Crochet Patterns, October 28, 2004
Although the dust jacket says 50 Styles to Knit and Crochet there is only ONE ugly crochet shawl pattern included in the book. Also, I agree with the previous reviewer, a PLUS SIZE book should only include patterns for 1X and above. Deceptive titling, skip this book at this price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for anyone over XL, September 16, 2007
I got pretty excited about the title--however, when I got this book I noticed that a majority of them were for sizes starting with small (modeled on thin girls)and there were a larger amount that topped out at XL. The prettiest sweaters are not for anyone over a large. If it was plus sized, why were small patterns even considered? Save your money if you are looking for plus sized patterns.

1.0 out of 5 stars Family Circle Easy Plu-Size Knits, April 13, 2008
I purchased this book as I really liked the sweater on the cover. When I received this book, I was very diappointed as the sweater only comes in X large and XX large, upon going through this book, I noticed that most of the patterns were in smaller sizes. I would not recommend this book as a plus size knitting book.

1.0 out of 5 stars That's great, but...crochet?, August 5, 2005
Listen to the crocheters who picked this book up only to find the one truly awful shawl pattern. The title is definitely misleading and the lack of crochet patterns was a sad disappointment. If you're really curious about this book, find it at your local library or get it through interlibrary loan. Nothing here for the crochet enthusiast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crochet? What Crochet?, December 3, 2008
If you were looking for patterns to crochet a plus size sweaters, this isn't a book for you. It's all knit. Some crochet trim. Also if you are a REAL woman looking for REAL plus sizing this isn't the book for you either. Only 10 patterns go to 3X the rest stop at 2X. Very disappointing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Crocheters beware!!, July 15, 2005
I was very disappointed in this book. Out of 48 patterns only ONE is crocheted and it is a very ugly shawl that resembles a big spider web - there wasn't even the obligatory granny square vest. However, if you're a knitter there are a few nice looking sweaters that might make this book worth your while -- quite a few are rated for beginners.

3.0 out of 5 stars misleading title, September 3, 2010
It's a good book with some really great knit patterns, but be warned... the title is quite misleading.
I assumed 50 knit and crochet styles meant there would be around 30 knit and 20 crochet. No. There is 1 crochet pattern. That's right. One. And it's a shawl. So not a very useful book for someone who only crochets.
And yet, there are a few really nice patterns, so I've taught myself to knit. The obligatory scarf is only 15cm long so I'm still a fair way off trying any of the patterns, but I'll get there.
Oh, another not so great thing about it. It tells you the brand of yarn that is used, but doesn't use the yarn weight guide system so you are left trying to figure out the yarn weight from the needle size and the picture, and googling the brand in hopes that you can still find a description of it somewhere that tells you the weight. It does tell you the yardage per ball so when substituting you can easily ensure you buy enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars knitting........, February 9, 2008
chicagokathy (Northern Minnesota) - See all my reviews
I thought this book would have different things to knt AND crochet. It didn't. Everything in it was to be knitted with a few ideas of adding crocheting for decoration. There might have been a purse to crochet but since it didn't interest me I don't remember for sure. Plus-size sweaters would have been fun to make and practical in my case. I ended up returning the book as it was a great disappointment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Family Circle Easy Plus-Size Knits: 50 Knit and Crochet Styles
Family Circle Easy Plus-Size Knits: 50 Knit and Crochet Styles by Trisha Malcolm (Hardcover - Sept. 2004)
Used & New from: $6.33