Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 15, 2001
I first read Laurie Colwin's _Family Happiness_, years ago, and it just gets better.Polly Solo-Miller Demarest is an outwardly conventional upper-middle class Manhattan wife and mother.She has looks, brains, social graces, money, and a secret life.She unexpectedly fell in love with the dashing Lincoln Bennett, a semi-monastic, and very good artist.Her inner conflicts drive this beautifully written, engaging book.This is similar, in theme, to Anne Tyler's _Back When We Were Grownups_, but Colwin's characters are far more interesting and personally appealing, and there is more resolution.This book is for anyone who has a complicated, hard to define inner life.
on February 21, 2001
This is a wonderful book. I'm always sad to go the Laurie Colwin section in my library and know there will be nothing new, but knowing this book is usually there makes me feel a little better.
Polly's conflict is age old. In the middle of a seemingly wonderful life, the ache she feels is really touching. I think the search for her real self and the chaos it creates to the people around her is so funny and sad at the same time. It askes the question: Who am I really?
I love Polly's family and the way she relates to each member. As just their Polly, she is ultimate diplomat. The toll this task takes, I think, I something many women can relate to. I know I can. And while I'm not sure an affair is the answer, it fills the emptiness and helps her to realize that she is a person with needs too.
I love all of Laurie Colwin's books. This one, though, is my favorite.
on August 19, 2015
In Colwin's novels the sensory details are just as important as the plot to the benefit of both. I related to the protagonist less than in some of her other novels (who is as perfect as Polly?) but the struggles are nonetheless real and her writing is gorgeous as ever.
on September 30, 2015
Ms. Colwin wrote character studies more than novels and this is basically another one. She also writes a LOT about people having affairs. She's a terrific writer but this book never really comes together. The main character, Polly, comes across as selfish and self-serving. And by the end of the book, she decides to have her cake and eat it, too -- and this after MANY chapters of soul searching. Would have made a better novella.
on March 15, 2016
Complex characters looking for easy in today's complex world. Some people don't know when they have it good or can only see the grass greener on the other side. They are fun to visit put I was happy to leave them when the book ended.
on October 8, 2014
I enjoyed this book very much. It really looks at marriage problems realistically. It also faces the problem of sexual affairs. It might help American women understand and accept the maybe helpfulness of an affair to the marriage.
on April 22, 2016
Book came highly recommended from an article I had read about must read books. It took a bit to warm up to but proved to be a good read. Not sure it left me with a sense of completion about the turn of events.
on May 16, 2013
I have read this book several times and finally decided to buy it for myself so I can re-read it whenever I want to.
on May 6, 2013
I have read this book many times over the years. I love her descriptions of everyday life in Manhattan, family dynamics, food. Highly recommended.
on January 24, 2016