on April 8, 2014
I attached this to a Kill-A-Watt power meter. Then I plugged in zero to four devices. It scales up power draw as you add each device. Furthermore, when a device is finished charging, it drops the draw again. Draws zero watts (I assume rounded down from something between 0.0 and 0.049 watts) when there are no devices attached or all devices are charged. This enables me to leave it plugged in 24/7 - significantly better than all the plugging and unplugging I used to do.

UPDATE:
During one year of use, 3 of the 5 ports stopped working, one by one. I contacted Anker and they sent me a full refund with no fuss.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2014
UPDATED 2/15
All put one port failed on my second charger. This stuff is junk.

Look I am usually really happy with products I get from Amazon, but this product stinks. I'm in IT, I cannot for the life of me understand how a charger can possibly fail so quickly. At first I thought it was my cables... Then I realized when my wife told me that one of the "bad" cables worked just fine for her that it was device.

Update:5/30/2014 - Anker contacted me directly once I posted the review, they asked for some details around the cables used and the model number, I promptly sent them. They then at no charge shipped me a new unit, did not expect the old one returned. The new unit has worked flawlessly for nearly two weeks. Will update with any further information if the situation changes.
4141 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2015
Not a solution. There are still a lot of cables around.
on June 20, 2014
I purchased this product because I didn't want to carry around extra chargers. Unfortunately, when being used on my vacation with my wife, it almost killed us. My wife woke up to the burning smell of plastic and I looked over to find my Anker burning up. I grabbed it and pulled it out of the electrical socket slightly burning my hand also. I was charging my headphones and my iPhone. Both were being used with official cables from the manufacture. I cannot recommend this product until they correct this issue. It didn't destroy my iPhone or headphones, but did make a hole in the side table. The smell of burnt plastic is terrible and fused into the room. Now I maybe stuck paying to replace the side table and cost of "smoking" in the room because of this smell. DO NOT BUY!

Posted images in the customer image section.

----------------------

Updated my review to 3 stars.

Customer support was great and all my issues handled. It still didn't change the fact that I had a hotel suite that smelled like burnt electronics for the entire weekend of my anniversary vacation. Thanks Anker. Love most of your products, but wished this one didn't fail.
review image review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Anker 40W 5V/8A 5-Port USB wall charger is one of the most powerful wall chargers I have ever received.

Pros:
-8 amps of output power to the USB's
-5 USB ports (all 5 USB ports share the 8 amps of output power)
-Each USB port has a max output of 2.4 amps
-The USB ports are "Smart Ports" which adjust to how much power the device needs to charge at max speed
-Small and portable (size of a deck of card)
-Uses a 5ft power cord that allows the user to put the wall charger to a desired location
-Great for international use by using AC 100-240v input voltage
-Has overvoltage, overcurrent, overheating and short circuits protection
-Can charge and iPad Air, iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPad 3 each at 2 amps
-Can charge 5 tablets at once but is recommend for an overnight charge because the tablets are not charging at full speed
-Works with all USB chargeable phones, tablets and other USB chargeable devices
-No annoying LED status light
-Ideal for a family/person who has many tablets and smartphones (I have an iPad Air, iPhone 5 and an iPod touch 5 that works great with this wall charger)
-Makes an excellent gift
-Looks great
-Excellent price
-Well designed
-Very high quality construction
-18 month warranty
-UL listed (updated version!)

No cons found!

My wishes to make this product perfect:
-Make the max output 12 amps so 5 tablets, like an iPad, can charge at full speed at 2.4 amps
-Add micro suction on one side so I can stick it to my night stand

This is a very powerful and well-designed wall charger and I highly recommend it.

UPDATE 3/31/14: I have been using this wall charger everyday since I made the review. I have had no problems with charging my iPad Air, iPod touch 5, iPhone 5 and 2 other USB chargeable devices when using this wall charger. I love it!

Watch my video review.
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation, and I promised that my review is fair and honest.
4343 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2014
+ Works exactly as expected. Worry free charging for nearly any USB device (apple, android, tablet) on any of the 5 ports.
+ Compact, silent, sleek and no annoying lights (LED, blinking, or otherwise).
+ Gets only slightly warm when charging: neither too hot to handle nor enough to burn.
+ Draws minimal power when not charging devices (10mA at idle), so few concerns leaving it plugged in.
+ Best price to performance ratio in the market at an excellent price point ($26).
-- Charges Wii U Pro and PS4 controllers but possibly not PS3 controllers, PS Move controllers, or PS Vita (no consensus).
-- The major unknown is long-term reliability. It's new, only time will tell if it lasts. (6 months so far, have 3 of them now...all good).
-- CE+FCC marked, RoHS compliant, but don't see a UL listing. This could be a problem for the corporate/government environment.

I've been in the market for a good USB charger for the past few years. The number of devices I own that charge via USB seems to have exploded recently. Between the mix of android, iOS, and other devices (kindle, raspberry pi, etc) that I have, I was puzzled that no one had created a reasonable product that would charge all of them. Now, yes, I know there are several devices that have labelled ports (2.1 Amps, iOS, Android, etc), or dedicated chargers, but it's all such a hassle. You have to keep track of which port went to which device, keep track of cables, and all that. What a mess! Confuse something up and your device would either charge too slowly and not have a full charge in the morning, or worse, not charge at all! All I wanted was something where I didn't have to worry about what device I was plugging into what port or with what cable. I wanted it to "just work." Charge any device I throw at it at full speed on any port. Make it foolproof! Mercy, is that really too much to ask?

Gratefully, that's no longer too much to ask for. I've only had it for a little over three months now, but I am very impressed. I've now bought three of them, all flawless. It works exactly as described: full power to every device (Apple tablets, Android tablets, Android phones, Kindles, Raspberry Pis). It does so silently (no buzzing, hissing, or whining sounds) and without any annoying bright or flashing LED lights anywhere. Yes, it's completely sans-lights, remarkable! Finally, a manufacturer with some sense. I'm really hoping this thing is built to last (it certainly feels like it might be, but only time will tell).

I don't have enough 10W sucking iPads to push the limits of the power ratings, but between the assortment of devices that I have, I was able to verify 25W of power drawn simultaneously without issue regardless of port via a Weanas power meter. It also draws 10mA when not charging, so it's quite efficient to leave plugged in. Note however, that most devices will continue to draw some power (usually cycle between charging and idle) even when fully charged, so you have to remember to unplug the devices from the charger when fully charged if you're very power conscious. For the vast majority of use cases, (i.e. those involving a mix of high and low power draw devices like phones and tablets), this should meet and exceed all requirements. Note though, that at only 40W, it can only provide high speed charging to four iPads simultaneously (or other similar big 2A draw devices). So if you're eying this as an iPad charging station, it will work, but I would recommend designating only four iPads per charger.

I should note that it does warm up a bit when charging. This is to be expected of anything pushing over 25W, but it doesn't seem to get too hot, only mildly warm. I have no concerns as far as any accidental contact burns or for those with curious children.

In summary, it's sleek, compact, and does its job well. It's also in a class of its own at this very low price point. You won't get a better ratio of devices per dollar at this time. Trust me, I've looked. So if, like me, you're tired of futzing with dedicated chargers or those kludgey multi-chargers that only work sometimes with only some devices on _only_ some ports, buy this well-designed but affordable charger. The stress you'll lose and the hassle you'll save as a result alone will pay for itself many times over.
review image
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 13, 2014
I purchased this to replace the many chargers that I usually have to bring for my gadgets. I mainly use a speaker, a Bluetooth headset, a phone, a tablet and an iPod Classic. I have other gadgets but these are the main ones. Just right for the 5 ports of the charger. And I was in charging bliss. Or so I thought.
Turns out, 2 months later, two of the ports have stopped functioning, and I'm worried that the others will break down if I continue using them. I only use the charger during weekends when I travel far from home and I use my standard chargers on weekdays.
Needless to say, I am very heartbroken and disappointed. I cannot recommend the product. My father-in-law wanted to buy one also but I shall dissuade him from doing so. Please think twice before making your purchase.

Update 1: I was contacted by Anker and was sent a replacement unit with their upgraded hardware. Will begin my stress testing in earnest and will update this review accordingly. I granted another star for this review because of the swift and diligent follow-ups. The first unit I purchased on the other hand has only one port left that can charge my gadgets. Perhaps it's only a matter of time now before it fails completely.

Update 2: tested the replacement by connecting 5 different gadgets to it. They charged quickly and so I set on draining them to test the charging again later on. After 18 hours, I set up my gadgets for charging again. Lo and behold, the 3rd port wouldn't charge! I switched my phone to other ports to see if they were okay but shortly after, the 5th port stopped working! This is ridiculous!
Unless there is a way to reset the circuits somehow, I'm inclined to keep the rating or revert it to one star. So very, very disappointed!
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 28, 2014
I'm a hardware engineer. This charger has a significant design flaw. Rather than using current-limiting circuitry on each output, the designers took a short-cut and installed 3A fuses on each port. What does this mean to a user? If you plug in a bad cable or bad device with a short circuit, the fuse will blow and the port will be dead. You will then naturally think, "How come this isn't charging?" and will try the device on the next port, blowing it too. It happened to me. I ended up with 3 dead ports before I figured out that the cable must be causing the problem.

If you have many devices and many cables, you will eventually plug in a bad one that has a short circuit. So buy a well-designed unit with proper current limiting, instead, that can survive a bad cable.

UPDATED Sept 29, 2014... AnkerDirect was kind enough to provide me with a replacement unit. They also claim, in an support email to me today, that all units now being shipped through Amazon no longer have the design flaw. The 3A fuses have been replaced with a proper current limiting circuit. But as of Sept 28, I see that several new one-star reviews are still complaining of dead ports. Perhaps they bought their units before the revised version was available?

Assuming the design flaw has been fixed, I'm upgrading my review from 1 star to 4 stars. In a few months of use I may either revise it again to 5 stars if I have no problems or 1 star if the "dead port" problem reveals itself again.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2014
It worked well for a whole week and then 4 of the 5 USB ports died within the following few days. Bad quality!
on June 18, 2014
Update
---
Anker has been proactive in replacing the defective unit originally shipped. The replacement works well. Anker customer service has been outstanding, both calling and emailing to find a solution that worked for me, and then shipping the replacement promptly, and finally calling back to verify that we were satisfied.

Anker's customer service earns them 5 stars alone; the product is good, but the quality defect on the original does deduct one star.

I do revise my conclusion: I will buy from Anker in the future and do recommend them if a solid, high current power supply is needed.
---

What I originally wrote
---

Three ports are dead. Completely. Unacceptable. For now two still work. I'm ditching this and going back to using standalone USB chargers.

This is definitely not a product I would recommend

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations