3,893 Reviews
 (3,217)

5.0 out of 5 stars Draws zero watts idle
Published 4 months ago by stannius

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissappointed.
I had previously purchased and recieved a 25 watt European charger sent to my home in Ireland. It works great and was / am extremely happy with it. While on holiday in USA, I decided to upgrade to the 40 watt, by purchasing this additional item. I thought it would be a smooth transaction (since I was happy with first purchased item).

On receipt of this 40...
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Draws zero watts idle, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Anker® 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air mini; Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; the new HTC One (M8); Nexus and More (White) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I attached this to a Kill-A-Watt power meter. Then I plugged in zero to four devices. It scales up power draw as you add each device. Furthermore, when a device is finished charging, it drops the draw again. Draws zero watts (I assume rounded down from something between 0.0 and 0.049 watts) when there are no devices attached or all devices are charged. This enables me to leave it plugged in 24/7 - significantly better than all the plugging and unplugging I used to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 ports failed after just a little use..., May 15, 2014
Look I am usually really happy with products I get from Amazon, but this product stinks. I'm in IT, I cannot for the life of me understand how a charger can possibly fail so quickly. At first I thought it was my cables... Then I realized when my wife told me that one of the "bad" cables worked just fine for her that it was device.

Update:5/30/2014 - Anker contacted me directly once I posted the review, they asked for some details around the cables used and the model number, I promptly sent them. They then at no charge shipped me a new unit, did not expect the old one returned. The new unit has worked flawlessly for nearly two weeks. Will update with any further information if the situation changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely powerful wall charger that works great, January 13, 2014
Length:: 2:47 Mins

The Anker 40W 5V/8A 5-Port USB wall charger is one of the most powerful wall chargers I have ever received.

Pros:
-8 amps of output power to the USB's
-5 USB ports (all 5 USB ports share the 8 amps of output power)
-Each USB port has a max output of 8 amps
-The USB ports are "Smart Ports" which adjust to how much power the device needs to charge at max speed
-Small and portable (size of a deck of card)
-Uses a 5ft power cord that allows the user to put the wall charger to a desired location
-Great for international use by using AC 100-240v input voltage
-Has overvoltage, overcurrent, overheating and short circuits protection
-Can charge and iPad Air, iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPad 3 each at 2 amps
-Can charge 5 tablets at once but is recommend for an overnight charge because the tablets are not charging at full speed
-Works with all USB chargeable phones, tablets and other USB chargeable devices
-No annoying LED status light
-Ideal for a family/person who has many tablets and smartphones (I have an iPad Air, iPhone 5 and an iPod touch 5 that works great with this wall charger)
-Makes an excellent gift
-Looks great
-Excellent price
-Well designed
-Very high quality construction
-18 month warranty
-UL listed (updated version!)

No cons found!

My wishes to make this product perfect:
-Make the max output 12 amps so 5 tablets, like an iPad, can charge at full speed at 2.4 amps
-Add micro suction on one side so I can stick it to my night stand

This is a very powerful and well-designed wall charger and I highly recommend it.

UPDATE 3/31/14: I have been using this wall charger everyday since I made the review. I have had no problems with charging my iPad Air, iPod touch 5, iPhone 5 and 2 other USB chargeable devices when using this wall charger. I love it!

Watch my video review.
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation, and I promised that my review is fair and honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally someone got it right!, February 8, 2014
+ Works exactly as expected. Worry free charging for nearly any USB device (apple, android, tablet) on any of the 5 ports.
+ Compact, silent, sleek and no annoying lights (LED, blinking, or otherwise).
+ Gets only slightly warm when charging: neither too hot to handle nor enough to burn.
+ Draws minimal power when not charging devices (10mA at idle), so few concerns leaving it plugged in.
+ Best price to performance ratio in the market at an excellent price point ($26).
-- Charges Wii U Pro and PS4 controllers but possibly not PS3 controllers, PS Move controllers, or PS Vita (no consensus).
-- The major unknown is long-term reliability. It's new, only time will tell if it lasts. (3 months so far, have 3 of them now...all good).
-- CE+FCC marked, RoHS compliant, but don't see a UL listing. This could be a problem for the corporate/government environment.

I've been in the market for a good USB charger for the past few years. The number of devices I own that charge via USB seems to have exploded recently. Between the mix of android, iOS, and other devices (kindle, raspberry pi, etc) that I have, I was puzzled that no one had created a reasonable product that would charge all of them. Now, yes, I know there are several devices that have labelled ports (2.1 Amps, iOS, Android, etc), or dedicated chargers, but it's all such a hassle. You have to keep track of which port went to which device, keep track of cables, and all that. What a mess! Confuse something up and your device would either charge too slowly and not have a full charge in the morning, or worse, not charge at all! All I wanted was something where I didn't have to worry about what device I was plugging into what port or with what cable. I wanted it to "just work." Charge any device I throw at it at full speed on any port. Make it foolproof! Mercy, is that really too much to ask?

Gratefully, that's no longer too much to ask for. I've only had it for a little over three months now, but I am very impressed. I've now bought three of them, all flawless. It works exactly as described: full power to every device (Apple tablets, Android tablets, Android phones, Kindles, Raspberry Pis). It does so silently (no buzzing, hissing, or whining sounds) and without any annoying bright or flashing LED lights anywhere. Yes, it's completely sans-lights, remarkable! Finally, a manufacturer with some sense. I'm really hoping this thing is built to last (it certainly feels like it might be, but only time will tell).

I don't have enough 10W sucking iPads to push the limits of the power ratings, but between the assortment of devices that I have, I was able to verify 25W of power drawn simultaneously without issue regardless of port via a Weanas power meter. It also draws 10mA when not charging, so it's quite efficient to leave plugged in. Note however, that most devices will continue to draw some power (usually cycle between charging and idle) even when fully charged, so you have to remember to unplug the devices from the charger when fully charged if you're very power conscious. For the vast majority of use cases, (i.e. those involving a mix of high and low power draw devices like phones and tablets), this should meet and exceed all requirements. Note though, that at only 40W, it can only provide high speed charging to four iPads simultaneously (or other similar big 2A draw devices). So if you're eying this as an iPad charging station, it will work, but I would recommend designating only four iPads per charger.

I should note that it does warm up a bit when charging. This is to be expected of anything pushing over 25W, but it doesn't seem to get too hot, only mildly warm. I have no concerns as far as any accidental contact burns or for those with curious children.

In summary, it's sleek, compact, and does its job well. It's also in a class of its own at this very low price point. You won't get a better ratio of devices per dollar at this time. Trust me, I've looked. So if, like me, you're tired of futzing with dedicated chargers or those kludgey multi-chargers that only work sometimes with only some devices on _only_ some ports, buy this well-designed but affordable charger. The stress you'll lose and the hassle you'll save as a result alone will pay for itself many times over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Update - Anker customer service fixed the problem proactively, June 18, 2014
Update
---
Anker has been proactive in replacing the defective unit originally shipped. The replacement works well. Anker customer service has been outstanding, both calling and emailing to find a solution that worked for me, and then shipping the replacement promptly, and finally calling back to verify that we were satisfied.

Anker's customer service earns them 5 stars alone; the product is good, but the quality defect on the original does deduct one star.

I do revise my conclusion: I will buy from Anker in the future and do recommend them if a solid, high current power supply is needed.
---

What I originally wrote
---

Three ports are dead. Completely. Unacceptable. For now two still work. I'm ditching this and going back to using standalone USB chargers.

This is definitely not a product I would recommend

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissappointed., May 21, 2014

On receipt of this 40 watt device only 3 out of the 5 ports worked successfully to charge my devices. But within 2 weeks only 1 port is functioning.

In this past 2 week time frame, the supplier/vendor has emailed me twice to inquire about my customer satisfaction. I replied both times indicating the disappointing status of issues stated above. At no time however have I received any form of communication or email from the vendor in an effort to resolve my dissatisfaction.

I believe the vendor could quite easily resolve the issues by acknowledging my concerns and replacement of the faulty device.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for a week, and then!, June 4, 2014
It worked well for a whole week and then 4 of the 5 USB ports died within the following few days. Bad quality!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but one port is unreliable - Replacement Update, April 15, 2014
Working great for about a week when one port stopped working. Now Im worried about quality. I'm hoping it'll start working again with another cord? Will update this review after some more time. Once the first port went, the others followed in about another week or so. Eventually they all died. The one good thing is that Anker called me and offered a warranty replacement. That was helpful because I'm really busy - and probably wouldn't have gone through the process otherwise. We tested new replacement today and all ports are working. Hopefully they will last.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Control - defective, June 19, 2014
Bought 2 units. The 1st unit has 2 non-working USB ports. The 2nd unit has 2 USB ports that keep disconnect charging after a few minutes of plugging in and/or not charging at all. However the other USB ports are working perfectly. Why have just 3/5 ports working! RETURN! I only charge an iPhone 5S and 2 Ipad Airs. Very disappointing. I have an older ANKER charger w/o the IQ for months and it works 100% so far. I had high hope for this newer/better with IQ charger because I don't have to guess which USB port to plug in devices (i.e. iPad, Samsung Tab, iPhone, Android). I can't even replace/exchange the defective units because Amazon doesn't have them in stock. So now I am returning both units. Maybe I will wait for the next generation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy right now!, June 20, 2014
I purchased this product because I didn't want to carry around extra chargers. Unfortunately, when being used on my vacation with my wife, it almost killed us. My wife woke up to the burning smell of plastic and I looked over to find my Anker burning up. I grabbed it and pulled it out of the electrical socket slightly burning my hand also. I was charging my headphones and my iPhone. Both were being used with official cables from the manufacture. I cannot recommend this product until they correct this issue. It didn't destroy my iPhone or headphones, but did make a hole in the side table. The smell of burnt plastic is terrible and fused into the room. Now I maybe stuck paying to replace the side table and cost of "smoking" in the room because of this smell. DO NOT BUY!

Posted images in the customer image section.

Rate and Discover Movies