4.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker for Mac
This version of Family Tree Maker only works on Mac OS X 10.5 or later. If you have any OS X version before 10.5, this will not work for you. You'll also need 500 MB of free space for installation. I installed mine on an external drive to save space, and it has worked out very well.

There are lots of "bells and whistles" in Family Tree Maker Deluxe, allowing...
Published on February 22, 2012 by James Choma

2.0 out of 5 stars Fewer Features for More Money
Published on March 16, 2012 by Texas Bücherwurm

2.0 out of 5 stars Fewer Features for More Money, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
Would you pay more for one version of an app that has fewer features than another version? That's what Ancestry expects Mac users to do. The Windows download version retails for $39.99 from the Ancestry online shop, while the Mac version retails for $69.99. According to GenealogyTools.com, the following features are in the Windows version but not the Mac version: Unicode support; ancestor narrative, descendant narrative, index of individuals, and surname reports; and online data import. The Mac version also lacks the Smart Story and hint sync features. The Windows version also exports media to GEDCOM files, while the Mac version still does not. In addition to feature inequality, the FTMM2 and FTM 2012 file formats are incompatible with each other. That is, FTM for Mac cannot open FTM for Windows files, and vice versa. To me, this is incomprehensible. The FTMM2 installation CD does come with a FTM Migration Utility that enables you to transfer files between Windows and Mac versions, but the utility runs only in Windows. So if I want to send my FTM file to my dad, a Windows user, I also have to send him the conversion utility.

Pros:
+Tight integration with Ancestry, to include searching and merging hints
+Ability to set preferred facts
+Ease of copying and pasting source citations
+Fastfields for names, sources, and places
+Hyperlinks to Ancestry source citations in the source citation window
+Good variety of pedigree and descendant charts & reports

Cons:
-Frequent hangs and crashes; buggy
-TreeSync does not work consistently, nor does it sync hints, member connections, or tasks
-Loss of media sources that originated from Ancestry member trees when re-uploading a tree to Ancestry
-Adding people without a last name is problematic if you don't use "unknown," etc.
-Place authority is limited and doesn't recognize place names with administrative division words like "county" in them
-Search functions and management tools aren't as robust as other apps
-GEDCOM standard compliance issues
-Missing features that FTM 2012 has, especially Stories, hint syncing, and export of media to GEDCOM files
-Costs 75% more than the Windows version

Final Verdict: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 should still be in beta testing and is not ready for prime time; it's certainly not worth paying 75% more than the Windows version. It's ridiculous that Ancestry charges Mac users such a premium for an inferior product. Until Ancestry fixes the bugs, especially with TreeSync, and provides the same feature set as the Windows version, I cannot recommend FTMM2.

To see my full review of Family Tree Maker for Mac 2, go to [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker for Mac, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

There are lots of "bells and whistles" in Family Tree Maker Deluxe, allowing you to craft and back-up your tree offline before submitting it online. With the Mac you can capture photos using iSight or your built-in camera and import these directly into your Ancestry.com tree. Granted, much of what you can do offline can be done with your online tree, having the program on my laptop allows me to work uninterrupted without worries of any internet hiccoughs, resulting in lost data. Inadvertently hitting the back button on my browser has wiped out more than a few items I've entered online. Fortunately, I've encountered no problems with this software, nor with synching up to my online trees with the TreeSync feature.

Establishing an account with Ancestry.com is a must in order to get the most out of this program. You can certainly enter data manually and use this program as a stand-alone, but since this version of Family Tree Maker comes with a free three month membership to Ancestry.com, it's worth it to set up an account and give the site a six-month test drive. Ancestry.com has emerged as the internet's premiere genealogical site, loaded with so much helpful information that, prior to the internet, could only be found in scattered historical books and documents.

What I really like about Family Tree Maker are the keepsake charts. My kids have a genealogy project of some kind to do every year. There are custom templates that can be utilized to create a variety of charts - ancestral tree charts, descendant charts, pedigree charts, bow tie charts, etc. The program allows you to customize the chart any way you want - add pictures, change backgrounds - it's up to you. The chart maker is also nice in that I can print off version of the family tree for some of my older relatives, many of whom don't have the best eyesight for a computer monitor.

Also included are the six following reference books on CD:
* Abbreviations and Acronyms: A Guide for Family Historians - Explanation of abbreviations and acronyms found in census schedules, soundex indexes, mortality schedules, and court records, to name a few.
* Ancestry's Concise Genealogy Dictionary - Definitions of unusual terms you might encounter in cemetery, probate, court, and medical records.
* Hidden Sources: Family History in Unlikely Places - Overview of sources that are often overlooked and where and how they can be found.
* Printed Sources: A Guide to Published Genealogical Records - Guide to printed sources such as vital records, family histories, land records, and more.
* The Official Guide to Ancestry.com - Become more proficient with searching the site. Explore obscure databases you didn't know existed.
* The Official Guide to RootsWeb - Learn to use the resources on RootsWeb and read success stories from the RootsWeb Community.

Family Tree Maker is the #1 selling Family Tree program on the market. When you add in the free six month membership to Ancestry.com, the tutorial DVD, the chart making feature, a 300 page reference book full of tips and tricks, and the six family history reference books, it's a package worth considering.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of TreeSync feature., April 16, 2012
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
Ancestry.com offers a slick feature to sync your data between FTM for Mac 2 and Ancestry.com. The problem is that this feature DOES NOT sync critical information such as "audio and video items, research, fact, relationship, media and source notes"..... and the list goes on.

In addition to not syncing all your information, it is also full of bugs and does not consistently work, forcing you to delete either your data in Ancestry.com or FTM for Mac2 then download your saved data to the other platform and re-sync.

You put both these issues together, and you get data integrity problems, and soon frustration as you start spending more time fixing errors in your data than you spend researching your family history.

While it is a decent genealogy program, it is a shame that Ancestry.com was more concerned about pushing the product out to market to start their revenue stream, than delivering a quality product.

Just encounter another bug in the program. This morning I found FTM for Mac 2 lost the link to all my media files. Since the names or location of the media files have not changed, not sure why this occurred. Unfortunately I also just learned that you have to relink the media files one at a time. With 200 media files to re-link, I guess I won't be doing much genealogy research this morning.

5/8/12 UPDATE: Last week I installed an update to FTM for Mac 2 that contained fixes for the TreeSync problems. After 5 or so syncs, the program appears to be working. I have not encountered any sync issues or corrupt files due to this process. Thank you Ancestry.com.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Most Frustrating Mac Software I've Ever Encountered, July 2, 2012
CajunRazorback (Hot Springs, AR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I had been holding off on purchasing a Genealogy program for the Mac until I purchased a new model, but finally gave up and upgraded my old Mac to Snow Leopard and when Ancestry offered a 25% discount, I bit. After installing the program, I synced it to my account to merge the on-line tree. I ended up going to bed, leaving the computer running (and I have a high-speed connection). I admit I have a large (but not as large as the "super genealogists") tree with over 9000 individuals and quite a few media items. I had set the tree up on Ancestry with the base genealogy that my late aunt had developed on the family, and then began fleshing out the branches of aunts and uncles from various generations. I figured this way it would be there for various family members spread out across the US and the world to access. I knew eventually, for the sake of backup I needed to get my data down from the web and stored on my personal computer.

The biggest complaint I have is that the program crashes on me every time I launch it and it goes automatically into the sync mode. It runs through the process (which takes forever) and upon completion crashes. When I re-open it, it informs me that the program was improperly shut down - right, like it was my fault. The reports are hit and miss. I ran one report and it failed to show the second wife of one ancestor; the children are out of order on the Registry reports, and tonight, it decided that the tree was no longer synced; i.e. there was no corresponding tree on Ancestry.com according to the program. My first Apple computer was the IIc purchased back in the mid-eighties and frankly I can't remember being this frustrated with any software for Apple computers that I've encountered over the last 25 plus years. When I decided to turn off my modem so I could launch the program without the sync process since I wanted to print out a report, it failed to launch. There are simply too many bugs in this software for the company to have published it without correcting the flaws. The only reason I give it 2 stars is that I will admit it managed to merge the two trees initially, but I'm quite tired of seeing the spinning wheel and having to wait and wait and wait . . . .

I am giving up and doing what I should have done in the first place; buy Reunion for the Mac. I learned that there is a reason they had to price this program at about half of what Reunion sells for, and then discount it 25% to boot - you get what you pay for, but in this case, not even that. Much like their DNA project (don't waste your time or money, use Family Tree DNA - they are professionals who know what they are doing), Ancestry's Mac product is a joke, in my opinion. Ancestry's business model appears to be based on developing a huge base of records which are public domain and using posted trees to make genealogy appear easy. Just copy someone else's work. No need to check sources and citations, Ancestry says that referencing another tree rates as a "source citation". In their rush to take over the world of genealogy, the company is releasing half-baked product lines on the public.

I purchased the program directly from Ancestry, not through Amazon.

UPDATE - 25 July 2012

I did exactly what I said I'd do, purchase Reunion. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Since this isn't a review of Reunion software, I'll be brief. The Reunion program is amazing and runs rings around both the FTM software and the Ancestry site. If you own a Mac and want to do family research, Reunion is DEFINITELY the program to buy. I just wish I had bought it a couple of years ago.

1.0 out of 5 stars Software is full of glitches, constantly breaking down, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I had such high hopes for FTM, and for a couple of months all was well. But I had an initial problem, and the support folks, patient and professional tho they are, have only compounded the problem. The last two months have been dedicated to solving this issue, which seems insolvable. Now my tree is "eating" data, deleting it at random. Also spontaneously adding source citations where there should be none. Also no longer bringing media or images of any kind from Ancestry.com. Most recently, FTM support had me send them my tree for them to repair. The "repaired" tree they sent back was only names--no dates, no data, no links between individuals. They considered the issue resolved. I am looking into other software options.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid FTM 2 for Mac, April 14, 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
wow. Wish I had known. Have been with Ancestry.com for 10+ years. Actually checked to make sure they had a Mac version before I bought my Mac. It has been one hideous debacle after another since then, and I feel like I am reasonably tech savy. Migration - there is no useful or up-to-date info on migrating from PC (FTM 2012) to MAC (FTM 2). Several weeks later, figured it out (had to reconnect ALL 900+media by hand, lost many in the process). Roughly a month ago there was a software update, which crashed my computer/tree/software. After MANY hours could not rectify, called ancestry, only to be informed that they don't handle FTM for MAC - an outside company does, NOVA. Fortunately for me, I have a job. Unfortunately, NOVA is only available during working hours. 5 weeks later, multiple emails later, I can't get them to respond. Call ancestry back - too bad. Not their problem. I can't access my tree, I have wasted money on the program, and almost 2 months of my annual subscription. Avoid, at all costs.
This is actually the first time I have ever given a bad review. But 9000 of my relatives and 15 years of work is now not accessible, and I have wasted probably 40 hours on this...

1.0 out of 5 stars Sync with ancestry.com does not work, August 18, 2013
tamjm (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I switched from Legacy Family Tree to Family Tree Maker Mac 2 specifically because the software was supposed to sync with ancestry.com.

Well, the sync is completely broken.

It'll sync for a while - a couple hours, a couple days - and then it'll get a sync error and say that it cannot sync or say that the ancestry.com tree file has been deleted when it has not.

Customer support has a ton of bogus suggestions.

First they tried to tell me it was a problem with my internet connection. Well, my internet connection is fine.

Then they tried to say it was a problem with my wireless in my house. Well, I have three apple extremes throughout my house, including a brand new one I installed a few weeks ago. My wireless internet connection is more than fine. Well, the customer support guy said I should try to get closer to the hub. I said, "I can see it right there, five feet away" and he said "well, maybe you need to get closer." I'm not making this up.

Then they said I must have a firewall set up. I have no firewall set up. Even though I knew I didn't have one set up, I checked and confirmed that I didn't have one set up, on the apple extreme or my macbook.

Then they said that, well, I needed to compact my file every time I tried to sync. Okay, so I tried that. I contacted the file before every sync. Well, twice so far, I've gotten the same sync error.

I told the customer support guy that even if I get a hiccup in my internet connection, or if I shut down my computer during a sync, their software shouldn't just say "sync error" and basically make me delete my ancestry.com tree and resync the file again.

I called before I searched online. The customer support guys made it sound like they never heard of these problems before. It must just be a glitch. Well, with only a bit of searching around on the internet, you find tons of entries with people having the same exact problem.

I have a large tree with thousands of entries - I inherited paper genealogies from family members and digitized them over the years. So maybe the sync problem is especially problematic with large trees. But it still shouldn't happen.

The ability to sync with ancestry.com is really the only benefit this software has over any of its competitors. And it's sync simply does not work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Support for the Dowload Version is HORRIBLE, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I just bought FTM for Mac download for my new Mac. I had to buy the download version because my Mac does not have a disk drive; all software must be purchased via download.

It has taken two days online, full time, to download the program, five emails to Nova Development (Ancestry.com does not give tech support for the download version), eight phone calls to Nova (spoke with 4 different reps), three chat sessions and three calls to Ancestry.com (to try to get them to contact Nova on my behalf). In order to contact Nova via phone, I had to call EIGHT different phone numbers. In all my contacts with Nova, the support people were rude, sarcastic or both and not one person was helpful. One rep kept telling me "I'm sorry that you misunderstood what you were told." No one acknowledged my comments or questions. I told each rep that I purchased the DOWNLOAD version (because my new Mac does NOT have a disk drive) and it wouldn't download. The reps said, "Uninstall FTM and re-insert the disk." Aaaagggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

When it finally downloaded this afternoon, I tried to register it so I could use the program. I got an error message that said, "The registration site is too busy. Try again later." When I tried again later, I was asked to enter my serial number. Using the copy button provided by Nova to copy the very long number, I pasted it and received another error message: "You have entered an invalid serial number." I called Nova and told the tech. He replied, "You have to enter the serial number." I repeated what I had just told him. He said, "You have to enter a VALID serial number." I told him that I used the COPY button provided to copy the serial number and when it was denied, I highlighted the number, copied and pasted it, then proofread it. It took him about 15 minutes to understand. He spoke English well. Each conversation with Nova was like this one.

Each rep told me to call Ancestry for support. I called Ancestry twice. Each time, the rep was very professional and helpful, but each told me that they cannot help with technical issues related to downloading, serial number or registration issues. Each time, I called Nova again and was first told to call Ancestry.com. Duh! From the way the Ancestry.com reps helped me today, I expect they will be very good at support with how-to issues about using the software once installed.

I'm polite, but by the end today, I made it clear to Nova that their customer service was so bad that they might as well not offer it. I will NEVER buy another Nova product. The only reason I'm keeping FTM is because it's easy to sync with family trees of my sister and cousins.

You are only allowed ONE download of FTM. If your computer crashes, you have to pay (after 30 days) again... unless you buy a back-up CD (my computer doesn't have a disk drive) or pay $7.00 that will allow you to download again within two years. If your computer crashes after two years and one day, you have to pay the then current full price for FTM for Mac2 again. (All the other software I've downloaded comes with a serial number and the manufacturers will allow you to download again if your computer crashes: MS Office and other products, Virus Barrier 6, HP, etc.)

The crashing issue is a big deal to me because, after 6 years, my previous PowerPC disk died and I lost everything that had not been backed up recently. I replaced the drive and the new one died. Now I have auto backup. I still like to know the manufacturer will help if something goes wrong.

I've barely used the program--just got it running--and it seems okay.

P.S. If you have to call or chat with Nova and you get a rep named RAYMUND, hang up or end the chat immediately. He's either very stupid or extremely lazy. He's also sarcastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's gonna be a bad experience, folks., August 28, 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
I have used the Family tree maker software successfully on my pc for about ten years. When I changed to a mac, I had to buy family tree for mac 2 and assumed the quality of the product would be about the same.
No. Oh, no no no. Unless you are one of the golden few who simply are lucky, you will find this product:

1) Suddenly unlinks synced trees and grandly tells you that the online tree is deleted. Of course, it's not and you can even find the online tree still on ancestry. That online tree will still think it is synced, too.

2) Creates duplicates of individuals unexpectedly and will not find them when you run the "find duplicates" app on the program. Somehow, I sort of expected individuals with the same name, birthdate, parents and maybe death date would appear as potential duplicates. Nope.

3) The program crashes constantly for no apparent reason. Then, when reopened, you can expect to find that your previously clean file has acquired errors. Sometimes you are lucky and able to close the program before it crashes. That may still give you an error message about not closing it correctly next time you use it.

4) Dont expect any help from family tree maker or ancestry.com here. Oh, they will make the non subtle suggestion that you just are making beginner errors and give you a list of things to try, but they don't work. I have gone the long route around, following their suggestions and wasted hours and hours trying to fix the problems. Lucky me--all the problems are still there, even though I followed the instructions to the letter.

And don't just take my word for it. Google FTM for Mac 2 and look at the huge number of people who have the same problems I do.

If you buy this, I really suggest you go ahead and stock up on Maalox and Excedrin too. You'll need them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstable, June 10, 2012
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
The features are great if you dont mind the program crashing 19 times in 4 hours!
Its really poorly coded ---dont waste your money

I was told that i had too many people and too much media ---- what???? useless

Sync would crash

basically you have to give doing anything else while this program runs

Not even Office for MAC is this bad!!

Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION]
Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] by Nova Development US (Mac)
$99.99 $45.40