4.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker for Mac
This version of Family Tree Maker only works on Mac OS X 10.5 or later. If you have any OS X version before 10.5, this will not work for you. You'll also need 500 MB of free space for installation. I installed mine on an external drive to save space, and it has worked out very well.

There are lots of "bells and whistles" in Family Tree Maker Deluxe, allowing...
Published on February 22, 2012 by James Choma

2.0 out of 5 stars Fewer Features for More Money
Would you pay more for one version of an app that has fewer features than another version? That's what Ancestry expects Mac users to do. The Windows download version retails for $39.99 from the Ancestry online shop, while the Mac version retails for $69.99. According to GenealogyTools.com, the following features are in the Windows version but not the Mac version: Unicode...
Published on March 16, 2012 by Texas Bücherwurm

‹ Previous | 15 6 713 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker & Ancestry.com, January 11, 2013
Bradford Smith (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
As I understand it (and I may have this wrong), Ancestry.com owns FTM. Ancestry.com is in the cloud. FTM is on your computer. TreeSync keeps the FTM files on your computer and Ancestry.com files in the cloud in sync. FTM and Ancestry.com are two different ways of accessing the information in your family tree(s). I prefer using Ancestry.com to access my family trees and am blown away by the amount and type of data available on Ancestry.com. Attempting to merge files has been a trial. FTM and Ancestry.com are wonderful products, but, be careful; it can be a time sink. Maybe when I get a better feel of when best to use FTM and Ancestry.com, I'll change my rating to five stars, but for the moment, it remains a bit of a mystery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good results, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
This product was easy to install . Worked well with Mac 10.6.8, even though I had
initial reservations that it would. Synced easily with Ancestry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a subscription, December 16, 2012
W. Miller (KY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, I had problems importing info. Lost some dates and relatives. Good news is that it integrates well with ancestory.com and includes 6 months sub. The bad news is ancestory.com is expensive to use afterwards. I've basically just use the ancestory.com app with the ipad now.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's just OK, November 6, 2012
This review is from: Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] (CD-ROM)
After owning FTM for Mac2 for about six months, I like the fact that you can match up the Tree you create with Ancestry.com, and print off some trees or reports to give to relatives. The best feature of the software is also it's drawback. That is the ability to find duplicate people. The downside to this is that the software developers have done a poor job of warning you if a sync between FTM and Ancestry.com is about to go berserk and add a couple thousand duplicates; and when it does, there is no "fix" that is easy to correct the problem. You end up spending endless hours methodically merging then deleting duplicate individuals. The program crashes often, and the help desk at ancestry usually doesn't have answers for the problems. There also, never appear to be systematic updates to fix bugs in the software. If you can find it on sale, and are willing to put up when the software glitches, it ends up being a place where you can capture as much data as possible from Ancestry.com then drop the monthly fees from Ancestry. I say this after building a family tree with over seven thousand family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered!, July 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Outstanding product! I am relatively new to developing a family tree and I was always stopped by problems I encountered along the way. My brother even traveled half-way around the country trying to establish birth certificates and find Indian records and look at grave sites. He saw this and got me on the road quickly (with Family TreeMaker). "If only I had this 3 years ago when...."

Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 with TreeSync will allow you to update your family tree online, and then allows you to sync it across devices (like to your iPad). It also lets you access interactive street and satellite maps, sync desktop and online Ancestry.com trees together with TreeSync, and add charts, reports, and photos (even audio and video).

The Companion Guide to Family Tree Maker helps you to develop your family tree and personalize it. Included with it is a six resource reference set (didn't use) to help you with research called the Family History Toolkit DVD. Uploading things to Ancestry.com was easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice integration with Ancestry.com, July 6, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The initial attraction is that the software offers a nice intro package with Ancestry.com, which otherwise can be a pricey source of good information. The software itself is nicely done and draws you in beyond the Ancestry.com package.

2.0 out of 5 stars For the serious genealogist--but with serious reservations, June 13, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Though this software is easy enough to use for a simple family tree, it's really intended for the serious researcher who wants to do thorough and accurate documentation. The software's ability to integrate and synchronize with Ancestry's website is invaluable, but there are some caveats. Be very cautious about properly labeling all of your media files; be very diligent about making backup copies; and expect the synchronization process to fail at some point, so have a fallback solution. I have found that it is less dangerous to do all my research and data entry on the Ancestry website and then synchronize the local file periodically for the production of printed reports. In a way, this is the reverse of what I first intended, since I thought it would be easier to enter data in the local copy of the software. Unfortunately, Ancestry's synchronization is not foolproof, and after learning the hard way that major glitches can occur, I rely on the software for showing family data to interested visitors and for preparing reports and charts. The latter two items--the reports and charts--are far less capable than software I have used in the past. Ancestry really needs to invest some time and effort into making this area of the software much better than it is. The incredible charts that were available in an old genealogy program originated by Reunion and subsequently taken over by Generations had far, far better charts ten years ago than what is available in this software. And who wants to print a birthday calendar filled with people who died two hundred years ago?

Overall, though Family Tree Maker is useful as an adjunct to Ancestry's online service, it is not a terribly reliable piece of software.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, May 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Family Tree Maker has a lot of great features to take advantage of, but at the same time can be a bit awkward. Starting a tree and adding info is pretty straight-forward, but I've so far struggled a bit when there are family members that don't fit the mold of the traditional nuclear family.

The big selling point here is the ancestry.com integration. As my family's presence in America doesn't stretch back particularly far, though, I have not gotten any useful information from that site. In fact, in one case it suggested information from a different person altogether. This is not to say ancestry.com should have this info - but in my case, it just happens that it is not a good resource for me.

I like some aspects of the interface more than others, and there are certainly more features than I have yet explored. Ultimately, I feel it's a mediocre program that can serve its purpose as a repository for information, but it is unable to go that extra mile to make it a must-have program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for keeping track of the family tree, March 19, 2012
Jami Garrison "JamiRae" (Peoria, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had dabbled around with Ancestry.com awhile back so when I saw this software available for Mac, I thought I would give it a try. It is not the most intuitive software, it has tons of features that i haven't even explored yet, but the good thing is that there are helpful pop-up tips that explain what's going on. Before I get into the things I like about this, let me start with some of the frustrations I encountered and why I docked a star from the review.

Installation - this software installed okay on my Mac but when I first started it up and went to import the family tree I had created on Ancestry.com, the software either hung - just sat there locked up and did nothing, or immediately shut down on me. no error messages. I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.8 and when I opened up Family Tree Maker I made sure my version was up to date using the "check for updates" feature on the menu. So I have no idea why it kept crashing when I tried to import my family tree.

I also noticed that you can only import trees that you have created. The one that my brother created and that I had been made an Editor of, I could not import. So I was kind of bummed that I would have to start from scratch. So, not too big of a deal. This time I decided to start with creating the tree inside Family Tree Maker and then synching it up to Ancestry.com. That worked fine. I don't know what happened, but after several weeks I decided to see if I could get the software to fail again. So I created a new tree on Ancestry.com and tried to import/link it to the software - it worked. Then I created a a tree in the software and synched it. that worked. the problem comes in now when I want to delete a tree. Deleting it from the website works okay, but if I try to delete it from the software side it asks for my online password to confirm, then tells me I have the wrong password. after several attempts with the "incorrect password" message (even though I am positive it is the correct password), I hit "cancel" to get out of the error message where it's asking for the password, and the software crashes on me. So I have to delete the trees direct from the website, then synch to see them removed.

Once you have the tree started and going there are a ton of features to go through. The easy part is adding in all the family members you know off the top of your head. then you use the cool Ancestry.com "hints" features to find more details about each person and to search for more family members. It's fun and addicting!

I realize I wrote more about the crashing issue, but wanted to let others know this is an issue, in case you encounter it too. The free trial to ancesty.com is handy and gets you going. I'm excited to see if I can get more data once the 1940 US Census data is available on April 2, 2012.

Oh, the other cool feature I like is that you can add photos and share your trees with other family members. I have an uncle (my mom's brother) who has set up a tree for my mom's side of the family and listed me as a "guest" so I can view the tree. And not to forget about the charts, reports and books! Those keep me busy just exploring all that's available. eventually I hope to have a hard-bound book of my family history - but I have a lot of discovering to do before I get to that point.

Once you install this, be prepared to spend an entire afternoon exploring!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better on a Mac!, March 15, 2012
eric talerico "Greenmanwest" (Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using Family Tree Maker on my PC for awhile now, and its a terrific program. I've been delightedly watching my family history grow - and as good as it is on my Windows machine, its even better on my Mac. The interface is nearly identical, but its faster and more stable on my Apple desktop. Its worth noting that all my family tree info is now shared and kept up to date on both platforms, as well as being available online throughout FTM website when I don't have access to my own machines.

‹ Previous | 15 6 713 | Next ›

Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION]
Family Tree Maker for Mac 2 [OLD VERSION] by Nova Development US (Mac)
$99.99 $22.79