on December 28, 2006
For the past five years, Korn's infamous Family Values Tour has laid dormant. In the beginning, the Family Values Tour was a perfect showcase for up and comers like Staind, Linkin Park and Orgy as much as it was for the well-known, iconic acts such as Stone Temple Pilots, Limp Bizkit, Ice Cube and Korn themselves. However, when Korn started to fade in and out of the scene, the Family Values name seemed to die. But, this is 2006, and it has been a rather big year for those boys from Bakersfield, so it's only natural they revive their tour at a key moment in their career. Together with their longtime friends in the Deftones -- a move which put an end to all the vicious rumors of a fued between the two acts -- Korn have successfully rebuilt an incredible tour, bigger and badder and with a wider variety of bands than before. Joined by Korn and Deftones were Stone Sour, Flyleaf, 10 Years, Dir En Grey, Deadsy, Bullets And Octane, Bury Your Dead and Walls Of Jericho. The last three bands, however oddly enough, are not represented. Each band brings their own style and I can honestly say I never expected this assortment of groups to share a stage together, but it worked.

Since this is Korn's tour, they obviously dominate the disc. Surprisingly enough, there is but one cut from their "See You On The Other Side" album, the currently overplayed "Coming Undone." The rest is old-school fare. Corey Taylor of Stone Sour tears it up on the best live version of "Freak On A Leash" available yet, while Chino Moreno of the Deftones brings back nostalgic memories on the Ice Cube cover, "Wicked." An off-key performance of "Right Now," which opens the album, could have been left off, however.

The biggest surprise, however, is that the Deftones hardly get any coverage on this disc. Performances of "My Own Summer (Shove It)" and "Nosebleed" are spot-on, and show no signs of the band slowing down, but it's especially odd that there isn't any material from their last three albums, not even the most recent, "Saturday Night Wrist." Stone Sour, Flyleaf, 10 Years and Dir En Grey, likewise, get two tracks each, with Deadsy closing out the disc with a stripped down version of "Carrying Over." Obviously, more Deadsy would have been appreciated, especially considering the band are still, 10 years later, trying to keep their heads above water. "Carrying Over" doesn't best represent the band's style, but it is fairly safe to assume that this track was done with the intentions of having another Family Values crossover success, ala Staind's "Outside." Nevertheless, it's a great song and hearing some acoustic Deadsy is a nice surprise.

How could this disc be better? Well, aside from the lack of coverage from the Deftones, Deadsy and the three bands that get no representation at all, special performances that were on the DVD but not on the CD were a bummer. Flyleaf's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Something I Can Never Have" would have been great -- although Richard Patrick joining them on U2's "Pride" was nice. The acoustic version of Korn's "Hollow Life" would have also been appreciated, as well as some live material from the band that hasn't already been released (if I hear a live version of "Blind" one more time, I'll barf). But as it is, it's a nice documentation of a successful tour, of which over 400,000 people attended. The "Family Values Tour 2006" is worth picking up if you went to one of the shows, or have seen any of these band's live, or are just a Korn fanatic.
on January 6, 2007
First off: I like Korn but half the CD was them. They already have a live CD. Second: NEED MORE DEFTONES!! I know, you're probably thinkin that I'm just sayin that cause I'm a big fan,which I am, but after all they were the co-headliners. All in all, the CD is still very much worth the buy. The performances themselves were good but I'm disappointed in the coverage.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2006
this is a good live cd not only becouse of the bands but becouse the music quality was great not somthing you usually get on a live cd also you have the extra introductions you dont get on a studio cd for example the first song "right now" (which is also on korns take a look in the mirror cd)is really neat becouse they've got the drum introdution by david in the begginning that really gets u amped also theve got other neat things they do live that you wouldnt get on a regular studio album its all packaged right here the way you would of wanted it if you saw them live ,here are the track ratings by the way my ratings are decided apon how well they "performed" live rather then how the song was composed

1. right now-korn-a great song one of the best korn has ever made and like I said a drum introduction that you dont get on the studio album that makes this song worth listening to more 9.5+1/10 (+1becouse of intro)

2.coming undone-korn-I thought they did a really nice job "performing"this one becouse there`s no missed keys or wrong notes they do this song almost perfectly I almost thought I was listening to them in studio 10/10

3.Im sick-flyleaf-a great song by a band that I never thought much of until I heard them live and on this cd it made me notice and like the band a lot more 10/10

4.wasteland-10 yrs.-I dont know about this band or this song Im not really into 10 yrs.but they do a nice job on the song so i give it a 9/10 yrs.

5.through glass-stone sour-Im a fan of stone sour and they give a great song that any fan would want to hear with this one and it was nice to have a slow song be performed so greatly that can be very hard to do but stone sour holds nothing back and makes this slowish song exactly the way you'ed want to hear it live 10/10

6.my own summer-the deftones-one of the best songs on the cd by far the guitarst does an impressive perfomance using a blood curling scream in the chorus with creepy guitar riffs and chilling vocals make this song makes up for the other one they did 10/10

7.mercilless cult-direngrey-im not sure what nation there from and i dont know what language they speak (im almost sure its japenese)but they know how to play a song live english or not 10/10

8.reborn-stonesour-they do it again and if your like me you like fast metal and not slow boring stuff and the privalige of listening to this live is on the studiio song even though it is very fast somhow seems slower than this version which is great for me 10/10

9.waking up-ten yrs.-like I said im not a very big fan of ten yrs there music doesnt really get to me and i dont even give them the dignity of spelling yrs., years any way this song really i dont care for however there performance is decent so the rating is over average7/10

10.pride(feat. richard patrick)-flyleaf-not a bad cover especially live u2 does it better but you still have to give flyleaf and richard credit

so 8/10

11.ryujoku no ame-dir_en_drey-not as good as merciless cult at all not as heavy but yet much more melody by the vocalist an ok song 7/10

12.shoots and ladders/wicked feat. chino moreno(of the deftones)-korn-it seems that even without there lost guitarist brian a.k.a. head is gone they still perform there old school music great these two songs are no exeption and chino does a good job(cant forget him) 10/10

13.nosebleed-deftones-i am a fan of this band as well as korn, stone sour, and most of the bands on this cd (oviously)but to be honest this song really wasnt that good I expected a little more out of this song but i also felt that it kinda sucked one of the main show bands only gets two songs on the cd any way this one wasnt so good 6.5/10

14.freak on a leash feat.corey taylor of stonesour and slipknot-korn-another benifit of listening to this one live is though it seems like they made a remix becouse it sounds a lot faster and heavier than the studio version(whether they wanted it to be like that or not)10+1/10

+1 for the new sound

15.bllllllliiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnd-korn-a song ive heard so many times live it sounds different ever time i listen to it 10/10

16.carry over-deadsy-a much more accustic melodic aproach toward deadsy very nice song live a very great way to close the cd up it probably wouldnt have hurt if they put one more song on for these guys but oh well still good nonetheless 10/10

its all there now if youve gone to the concert buying this is diffrent from the "live"-live concert in different ways a good cd for those of you who have an open mind and want a sampler this is good and it is truly a good cd in my opinion becouse there were no songs under 6/10 in the ratings so buy it
on January 29, 2007
The return of KoRn's Family Values Tour in 2006 is immortalized in tis great live album. You get tracks from all the major bands on the Tour. But of course we are here for KoRn. The CD kicks off with "Right Now" with a killer drum intro by David. You also get "Coming Undone", "Freak on a leash", "Blind" and the best track on the CD: Shoots and Ladders/Wicked. For Wicked Chino from the Deftones comes out to sing with J.D. Other tracks from the Deftones on this album are good too. This Cd was Recorded at the Show in Mansfield MA, which I was at so it makes it even more killer. Pick up this CD and while you are at it get the Family Values 2006 DVD that features some different songs and some great behind the scenes footage. KoRn is Here to Stay!
on January 9, 2007
No tracks from WOJ or BYD on this CD is a big disappointment for me, but it's a good CD nonetheless. The Deftones tracks are solid, of course. I was really impressed w/ 10 Years at the show and on this CD. I may have to check em out some more. The U2 cover by Flyleaf/Richard Patrick sounds really good. The highlight is definitely "Wicked." This CD is worth picking up if you were at the tour, but it's not an amazing live album by any means.
on October 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought the DVD and I wanted a copy of the show for my car so I bought the CD too. I think it was a great tour and any Korn fan would like it as well! Also, a very notable performance by Deadsy! They perform "Carrying Over", which sounds ten times better than their studio recorded version!
on February 13, 2007
It's obvious that most or all of this was recorded at the Boston venue. If you are a KORN fan then you must have this for your collection. "Wicked" rocks the house!
on January 25, 2007
Ah, middle school; a time of pure hell for any and all residents of this lovely planet. Full of confusion and ignorance, we are thrust into more "adult" situations, forcing us to adapt the best we can, knowing not exactly what we are doing and, more often than not, doing it incorrectly. It doesn't matter the clique you are with, how rich you are, how you dress, we all experience the awkwardness that comes with growing up. I'll be damned if at that age pictures of bands like KoRn, Slipknot, System of a Down, Pantera, Slayer, Deftones, Cradle of Filth, and Static-X did not adorn the walls of my own little corner of suburbia, their music resounding in my head each day as I geared up for school. 'Family Values Tour 2006' brings back those nostalgic feelings of total unease with a handful of songs from nu-metal's heyday. Honestly, I found myself singing along with "Shoots and Ladders / Wicked", getting a bit pumped from "My Own Summer (Shove It)" (an old favorite), and being actually impressed with the Deadsy track, but as a whole, the album has absolutely nothing to offer the modern music scene. Though nu-metal, while useful at the time as a stepping stone for many into the heavier / more experimental genres, has thankfully been dead for a number of years, there have been a rash of new acts attempting to capture such a sound and capitalize on its previous marketability, and this record is chock full of the stale, dated aroma of such rehashed schlock. I'm not going to lie, if you were to tell me 7 years ago that KoRn and Corey Taylor were on an album collaborating on "Freak on a Leash" I would have been among the first to shell out the cash, but now, albums like this are good for a bit of nostalgia and reminding you to be thankful that you have since moved on from such mediocrity - both life and music wise.