Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2010 7:49:21 PM PST
I haven't seen the movie since the first time it was in theaters, but I don't remember there being a lot of offensive language to begin with. But I do remember a bunch of half naked blue people getting shot and killed. There was a flaming alien horse fleeing for its life at one point. I mean, I have no real objection to the track, but are there really families out there that would let the kids watch this imagery while still trying to protect them from four letter words?

It's kind of cute, in a way.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 9:38:35 AM PST
These days it seems that violence is perfectly okay as long as there aren't any bad words or sex. Personally I have no problems at all with any of those things but I've always found it kind of funny that only certain things are considered offensive when others are not. An attempted genocide of the Na'vi people to mine their land? Perfectly okay! At least as long as nobody says a bad word while they're slaughtering people.

I'm opposed to the family audio track in principle. If there is content in a movie that you don't like or are offended by, either don't watch the movie or just learn to deal with it the way it is. Don't expect it to be edited to remove or change the things that you don't like. Movies should not be edited to remove things that might offend people.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 12:10:02 PM PST
What ^^ said. How do you protect your children from foul languages when you take them to the parks, malls, restaurants, supermarkets, school...?

It's call parenting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 11:52:18 PM PST
Oddly enough, I've never heard of someone "expecting" this feature. What I do see is a company choosing to market it. Maybe you shouldn't waste your time talking about what people who make movies can or can't do with them, because obviously, they don't care what you think. Unless, of course, you are thinking about buying the product you are whining about, and chances are you will.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 7:44:21 AM PST
M. Culpepper says:
Yes, I am looking forward to this feature. I want to give my 6 & 8 year old daughters a chance to watch this film. I think they can handle the violence aspect and would understand the message. I don't want them picking up the expletives that Sully uses everytime something happens to him. He reacts to everything with curse words and that's why I haven't let them see it yet. Like Andrew said, it's hard enough keeping them away from it out in public. Why would I deliberately open it up to them in my house?

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 1:32:23 PM PST
Renfield says:
"Is it true you have loved with the woman?"
"We are loved before Eywa."
"Oh, shoot."

That's my vision of what it looks like.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 2:13:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2010 2:13:45 PM PST
Or, better yet, as Stephen King once put it (after describing somebody's exclamation after accidentally slamming their thumb with a hammer):

"Oh, pickles."

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 5:05:35 AM PST
Penmanship says:
So, when it sayd (on Avatar) # Disc 1: Avatar, Part One Original Theatrical Edition (includes family audio track with objectionable language removed)
# Special Edition Re-release (includes family audio track with objectionable language removed)

Does that mean that there are two audio tracks for each version of the movie INCLUDING the original theatrical movie with all of the "objectionable" language and not just the sanitized version. I want to make sure that I am getting the real audio and not just the cleaned-up version. ANybody know?

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 1:34:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2010 1:35:12 PM PST
The "family-safe" audio track can be found on the original theatrical and Special Edition versions of the film, but not -- for whatever reason -- on the Ultra-Extended Version (the 16-minutes-longer cut). Also, yes, you're still getting all the original "unbleeped" audio on either version you choose.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 5:10:31 AM PST
Penmanship says:
Great - thank you very much

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 9:09:18 PM PST
Bob Drake says:
So I guess when blue Jake scares off the hammer-head dino he doesn't say "Take that, bitch." What DOES he say? At some point I'll check it out.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 8:16:45 PM PST
I am so glad there are so many others who think this is a bad idea, even some with children. I too think it is bad/ridiculous or whatever. Overprotection, by parents, of their children is one of the biggest obsticals to a young person growing up to be a well balanced person.
But, all that aside, I really cannot come up with anything that could be objected to. There certainly aren't any words spoken that equal words like "genocide" "murder" or "steal". Does anyone else know? I guess I could watch the movie again. You wouldn't have to twist my arm to make me do that, :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 8:52:25 PM PST
Bob Drake says:
Jake uses the word "bitch," and he is not referring to a female dog.

This is a fundamentalist and Mormon thing. There was an RCA DVD player that could be programmed -- the company was in Utah -- to edit the "bad stuff" out of films. Congress passed a law saying the concept was OK with them, over the objections of Hollywood. Of course the censors only edited out "bad" language and sex. The guns and the bullets and the gore were all left in, of course.

Cameron was just trying to appease those who have family policies against showing young kids films with ratings above G (and PG). I'm sure the younger kids would be upset if they could not watch the film with the rest of the family. No real harm done. But I am a flaming progressive. To me sex is natural and killing isn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 11:16:53 AM PST
I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2011 11:33:55 AM PST
Killing is as natural as breathing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2011 11:36:44 AM PST
Bob Drake says:
Jared?

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 3:34:46 PM PST
It is disappointing that this forum is becoming a left vs right discussion. The only question here is what the family track contains. Does it remove words like 'bitch' and 'goddammit' and stuff like that which would not be ok for an under 13 audience to be emulating.

Without everyone getting their 'underwear' in a bunch :-), I have a question. Some of us have children and we don't want them to be exposed to those sort of ejaculations (yes, everyone who went aahh need to look up the meaning of the word :-)). I just want to know if I can turn this audio track on and show my 6 year old without her going to her school and saying these words because she heard it in a movie. I ask because there are a lot of good messages in the movie, and I can explain those to her along with the bad messages.

And those of you who think the violence is bad and not ok show the children, yes I do agree. Unfortunately though, for children of below 13 years of age, words have a more immediate and lasting effect than pictures do. It is hard to imagine a 13 year old committing genocide or <substitute other heinous actions here> if parents discussed it with them after the movie. Talking foul language is easier to do - that is why a lot of us do it in daily life and don't do genocide daily.

I am only interested in whether the words being spoken are replaced with more PG versions. The rest of you who want to discuss whether the violence is an issue, I request you to take your argument elsewhere. It has a place, but not particularly in the "audio" portion of the discussion since the "video" and action portions aren't really "audio track" related.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 4:40:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2011 5:14:46 PM PST
I don't remember anything said that jumped out at me, certainly nothing that a young person doesn't already hear at school or in the real world.

----------An aside. Read this only if you want to------------------------------------------

I guess I have a hard time with phrases like "foul language" when it is the meaning of the word and not the word itself that is important. No offense, but a knee jerk reaction to a word just doesn't make any sense to me for myself or a child.
Also, I don't really see an arguement. I just see a couple of posts that might be a little off topic, but definately related to the discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 6:20:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2011 6:34:17 PM PST
D. Reese says:
I had posted this question:

Does anyone know how to turn the family audio option on?

But I figured out that you have to connect your Blue Ray player up the the internet and update it...then it finds the optional track and allows you to utilize it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 10:06:00 PM PST
So, perhaps you can settle this.
Did you notice any differences between the "family" audio and the theatrical one?

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 12:47:02 PM PDT
Michael says:
Hey, to some one who has actually used the family audio track: does it remove ALL objectionable language. The reason I ask is that somewhere else i read said that it left in a use of g-dd-mn and a--. Is that true? thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2013 11:48:03 AM PST
D. Hill says:
It removed all objectionable language as far as I could tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2014 2:34:25 AM PST
mac says:
I agree with The Face of Boe about Avatar and its "family audio" but I think that a family edit of some films is useful. The film "Flashdance" is really a fairy story but is 15 rated: my children watched and enjoyed the edited TV version and I would have willingly bought a family friendly DVD version. The same applies to Rainman with Dustin Hoffman and many other (non-violent) films.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions