Top positive review
42 people found this helpful
Eight Fonz-Centric Episodes Of An All American Classic From Its First Three Seasons
on February 28, 2012
The phenomenon of "fan favorites" always seems a bit dubious to me, just another marketing strategy. But CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount recently conducted a Facebook poll on seven of its popular classic programs (Cheers, Happy Days, Frasier, The Odd Couple, Hogan's Heroes, The Honeymooners, and MacGyver) to determine what would be included on these Fan Favorite DVD releases. These are no-frills editions for only the most casual viewer (each of these shows is readily available in complete seasons and/or series editions), so if you already own the previous, and more complete, releases--this really adds nothing to the discussion. These bargain priced entries, therefore, might appeal to newer viewers who wish to sample a program or to someone who just wants a few episodes of their favorite show for those rainy days with nothing better going on.
However, as the number of episodes and which ones are not being provided (as of 2/28/12), I thought I'd give a rundown to the interested parties about what is included on each DVD set.
Happy Days: In Dolby Digital English Mono with English SDH subtitles
(1) All The Way (Season One, Episode 1): The show's premiere gets off to a start with Richie being invited to babysit with his dream girl.
(2) Fonzie Drops In (Season One, Episode 7): Getting Fonzie to come back to high school is more problematic than Richie suspects.
(3) Haunted (Season Two, Episode 6): Richie and Joanie combat their fears of a potentially haunted house.
(4) Guess Who's Coming To Christmas (Season Two, Episode 11): A Christmas story related by the Fonz about when Howard's traditional Christmas plans were upset by a unexpected visitor.
(5) Richie's Flip Side (Season Two, Episode 21): Richie gets a gig as a local disc jockey and is seduced by the fame.
(6) Fonzie Moves In (Season Three, Episode 1): Fonzie takes the attic apartment at the Cunningham house and Howard is apoplectic.
(7) The Motorcycle (Season Three, Episode 2): The Cunninghams try to keep Fonzie busy so he doesn't lose his head revenging his vandalized bike.
(8) They Call It Potsie Love (Season Three, Episode 13): Joanie's crushing on Potsie!
With eleven seasons to choose from, it's interesting to note that these were all from the first three! I grew up with "Happy Days" and, as a series, it had its ups and downs. This is a nice way to introduce yourself to the show if you haven't seen it, but it is much better in context and complete (especially these early seasons when the show was in its stride). KGHarris, 2/12.