Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Generic Flash Bracket Swivel Umbrella Holder Studio Tilting Bracket for Nikon Canon E430 E580 SB600 SB800 SB900 Bracket B
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 26, 2011
In choosing a bracket I had three things in mind: fluid articulation, easy to adjust, and won't kill the pocketbook. Unfortunately this bracket only met the latter of the three. The materials used for this bracket are of quite decent quality given the price. Strong plastic wing-nut knobs that are easy to turn, combined with black aluminum body. The cold shoe platform is large and stable, but much longer than necessary. It's also permanently bolted to the rest of the bracket and provides no lateral swivel like in most brackets. The wing-nut knobs are easy to tighten and loosen. Yet the articulation of the whole unit is ratcheted, which is precisely not what I wanted (I already have two ratcheted brackets and they're annoying). This means articulation is not fluid and limited to the manufacturer's predefined angles. The lack of lateral swivel combined with ratcheting severely cut into the good points of this bracket for me, and overall it's not an ideal tool.
55 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2012
You get what you pay for. The plastic stripped for me after less than two months. I will be replacing this now with something more durable.
on April 16, 2015
These units are all plastic, which surprised me but that is not the issue I have. The issue that lowers my review is the fact that a standard Manfrotto #119 spigot will not fit into the spigot (light stand end fitting). What good is that? and Why? Really makes these units unusable. As you can see in my photo - the unit is not deep enough for the spigot.
review image
on June 6, 2013
I used mine 2 times and it broke, during a job! Luckily I had a mini stand and was able to use the flash without the umbrella! Wast of money and time!
on March 6, 2012
This flash shoe holder looked good in the pictures and the price was right ($7.95) but... you know the old saying , "you get what you pay for". The quality was awful. The small screw that holds the umbrella shaft in place is in plastic and on both of the units I bought the threads were already stripped and will not hold. Useless piece of junk. Do not buy this. It will not work for the intended purpose and is a waste of money. Pay a little more for a well designed product.
on August 15, 2011
Lower portion of bracket is made of plastic. Not what I expected, but this is a low cost item so I was not totally surprised. The top part, the clamp, is made of some sort of metal, and works well enough. Also wide enough to put a flash and a radio trigger in clamp at same time. Part that holds umbrella shaft is sort of flimsy, and would probably be a problem with a large umbrella.

I know this may sound like a negative review, but it is not. This is an inexpensive item. I own a much better clamp, but it cost a little over twice as much. So, for the money, this is a fair deal and although it is not perfect, it does work.
on May 2, 2016
You get what you pay for, obviously, this is a $4 mount (that's why it gets an extra star), however, it leaves a lot to be desired.

First, my plastic didn't crack as some have stated, however, it seems like it could very easily. Do I trust it with a generic $40 flash indoors sitting in the corner... yes... with an Expensive Flash plus a softbox or umbrella outdoors moving around in the wind? Noooooooo...

Second, there is some quality control issues. Of the two I ordered, both were missing tightening screws (although different ones). I was able to find some at a local hardware store... but that adds an extra $1 to the cost... plus my time.

Third, there are some major design issues, specifically the mount on the bottom (pictured). It is most likely either too small or too big (take your pick) for your application, and the thumb screw is horrible. It is way to big to use a selfie stick or monopod, the little screw that sticks up from those can't be clamped down. Same with cheap stands. However, a generic extension rod (such as for painting or a broom handle) is much too large. I went to several different stores before just buying a generic broom handle, then drilling out the hole to fit it. In the end, it worked, however, it looked super tacky, and I don't exactly trust a little tightening screw clamped into a $3 Department Store broom handle with a flash and huge softbox..... So I'd say its OK for cheap personal project or student project, but not professional looking or durable enough for your more pro style consumer.
review image
on July 26, 2014
Great price, but its all plastic and that just isnt my thing. Im not into plastic for the functional purpose that the threaded grooves can easily be stripped on the body if the metal screws are twisted improperly. It has not happened so far which just keeps me having to slow down and be cautious with my treatment of the bracket. On the flip side its light weight.
on October 4, 2014
I was surprised to find that there is a great quality for such a low price. Most parts are metal with some that are hard plastic. There is a tab the holds the umbrella pole in place as well as a set screw. The tab is a little stiff at first, so getting the umbrella in took a little force, but now it goes in a little smother. The track for the flash also widens to get the flash or trigger in place and then has a thumb screw to tighten the track. I'd still recommend using the mechanism on the flash or trigger to clamp it down. My one flash is a Canon 580EX Ii, which has a rubber stopper on the back, so it wouldn't slide on the track but did still fit. I'm using triggers so that wasn't an issue, but if mounting that type directly to the track, be careful as it could fall off. The tilt portion has notches so it won't tilt without loosening the joint, which I like. They fit well onto the top of my Smith-Victor Raven light stands. The set screw for the light stand mount also made the whole thing secure. I don't plan on raising these above 8', but I think they'd do well if you're planning on using for weddings or other larger venues for strobist work or bouncing. Overall, I think it's a great product at a great price. Exactly what I was looking for.
on January 20, 2016
I purchased three different umbrella holders at one time just to see which one I would like best. This one was the least expensive and although I won't return it, it will be the last one out of my kit to use. I do like the angled plastic base under the hot shoe mount. Some manufacturers don't think the flash should be pointed at the center of the umbrella. It is mostly plastic, so when I do use it I will be careful about how much torque I put on the thumbscrews. Overall OK If you don't want to spend 3-4 times as much for something you may not use much, go for it. I do a fair bit outside so my kit is assembled / dis-assembled often. I don't think this would hold up long.