Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on January 26, 2011
In choosing a bracket I had three things in mind: fluid articulation, easy to adjust, and won't kill the pocketbook. Unfortunately this bracket only met the latter of the three. The materials used for this bracket are of quite decent quality given the price. Strong plastic wing-nut knobs that are easy to turn, combined with black aluminum body. The cold shoe platform is large and stable, but much longer than necessary. It's also permanently bolted to the rest of the bracket and provides no lateral swivel like in most brackets. The wing-nut knobs are easy to tighten and loosen. Yet the articulation of the whole unit is ratcheted, which is precisely not what I wanted (I already have two ratcheted brackets and they're annoying). This means articulation is not fluid and limited to the manufacturer's predefined angles. The lack of lateral swivel combined with ratcheting severely cut into the good points of this bracket for me, and overall it's not an ideal tool.
55 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2012
You get what you pay for. The plastic stripped for me after less than two months. I will be replacing this now with something more durable.
on June 6, 2013
I used mine 2 times and it broke, during a job! Luckily I had a mini stand and was able to use the flash without the umbrella! Wast of money and time!
on April 16, 2015
These units are all plastic, which surprised me but that is not the issue I have. The issue that lowers my review is the fact that a standard Manfrotto #119 spigot will not fit into the spigot (light stand end fitting). What good is that? and Why? Really makes these units unusable. As you can see in my photo - the unit is not deep enough for the spigot.
review image
on March 6, 2012
This flash shoe holder looked good in the pictures and the price was right ($7.95) but... you know the old saying , "you get what you pay for". The quality was awful. The small screw that holds the umbrella shaft in place is in plastic and on both of the units I bought the threads were already stripped and will not hold. Useless piece of junk. Do not buy this. It will not work for the intended purpose and is a waste of money. Pay a little more for a well designed product.
on January 4, 2016
I had concerns when I read some of the initial reviews about poor quality and craftsmanship of this product, but I figured the low cost was worth the try. I have to safe, I'm glad I took a chance! After receiving this flash bracket and umbrella holder, I'm not sure what product those bad reviews were talking about! This thing is quality built of good, strong, sturdy, molded plastic. The wing nuts to attach it to the tripod and adjust the angle are both solid and hold very well. The adjustable hotshoe slot to attach the flash was easy to tighten, and maintains a firm grip on my speedlite in all positions. The screws to tighten down the hotshoe and the umbrella are both made of quality metal, are large enough to get a good grip and tighten by hand, and have a screwdriver slot big enough that you can use a penny or dime to further tighten it down if necessary.

I haven't attached an umbrella to it yet (I don't get my umbrella until tomorrow), but I don't anticipate any problem with that feature either. I attached this unit to the top of my Cowboy Studios flash tripod. I mounted my Newer Speedlight II to the Cowboy Studios remote control units, and attached them to this flash bracket. All without any problems, no falling over/off, no problems!

I think this is a GREAT flash bracket for an amazing price!
on August 15, 2011
Lower portion of bracket is made of plastic. Not what I expected, but this is a low cost item so I was not totally surprised. The top part, the clamp, is made of some sort of metal, and works well enough. Also wide enough to put a flash and a radio trigger in clamp at same time. Part that holds umbrella shaft is sort of flimsy, and would probably be a problem with a large umbrella.

I know this may sound like a negative review, but it is not. This is an inexpensive item. I own a much better clamp, but it cost a little over twice as much. So, for the money, this is a fair deal and although it is not perfect, it does work.
on June 24, 2013
Looks like any other Flash Shoe Holder. Can't tell it from any other.

Broke on first use while tightening to stand.

Try another from someone else.
on July 26, 2014
Great price, but its all plastic and that just isnt my thing. Im not into plastic for the functional purpose that the threaded grooves can easily be stripped on the body if the metal screws are twisted improperly. It has not happened so far which just keeps me having to slow down and be cautious with my treatment of the bracket. On the flip side its light weight.
on October 4, 2014
I was surprised to find that there is a great quality for such a low price. Most parts are metal with some that are hard plastic. There is a tab the holds the umbrella pole in place as well as a set screw. The tab is a little stiff at first, so getting the umbrella in took a little force, but now it goes in a little smother. The track for the flash also widens to get the flash or trigger in place and then has a thumb screw to tighten the track. I'd still recommend using the mechanism on the flash or trigger to clamp it down. My one flash is a Canon 580EX Ii, which has a rubber stopper on the back, so it wouldn't slide on the track but did still fit. I'm using triggers so that wasn't an issue, but if mounting that type directly to the track, be careful as it could fall off. The tilt portion has notches so it won't tilt without loosening the joint, which I like. They fit well onto the top of my Smith-Victor Raven light stands. The set screw for the light stand mount also made the whole thing secure. I don't plan on raising these above 8', but I think they'd do well if you're planning on using for weddings or other larger venues for strobist work or bouncing. Overall, I think it's a great product at a great price. Exactly what I was looking for.