Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

Format: HardcoverChange

on March 12, 2011
This latest edition to the Fancy Nancy series was a big hit in our home. My four-year-old daughter, who has really taken off in her artwork these past few weeks, enjoyed this book immensely. In fact, she was so inspired by the story that she drew her own version of "Tulips in the Wind"! I would have to say that it is one of my favorites of the Fancy Nancy stories we have read (and we own 90% of them). I give it 4 out of 5 stars, though, because I think the book could have introduced more artists than just the four (Degas, Monet, Matisse, and Pollock) that were touched on and I think it would have been nice if the style/period of each artist was discussed (ie. Monet is one of the impressionists). Perhaps it is asking too much to incorporate that in a 32 page story for 4 - 8 year olds but that is what I felt was lacking in this book.

Otherwise, I think the story itself is nicely written. While Bree is on vacation for a week, Nancy occupies herself by building an art clubhouse in the backyard and trying out various styles of art each day, even touching on what it is like to have a creative block. Nancy, Robert, and Bree host an outdoor art gallery at the end of the week to display the artwork (mostly Nancy's) that they have created during their week of art exploration.

As for the previous reviewer who did not like the "smaller" size of the book, this is not one of the $17 big books like the original or _Posh Puppy_. This one is the same size as more recent stories like _Explorer Extraordinaire_, _Ooh la la! It's Beauty Day!_, or _Poet Extraordinaire_. These are my favorite size in the series. I think Jane O'Connor writes more "story" in this size (there is definitely more to read per page) and typically provides a good dose of information on the topic being explored.
VINE VOICEon March 27, 2011
I thought this book would be perfect for my aspiring artist daughter, but she and I were both unimpressed by the book. There really was no story--just a list of art projects that Nancy tried. I really miss the originality and personality of the first few books. Also, my daughter wanted to know what happened with Bree--the story starts out with Nancy missing her friend but then the friend theme is totally dropped and it ends with her happy about getting a manicure. There's no story arc at all. I'd recommend this book only for extreme Fancy Nancy fans who like anything about her whether there is a story or not.The illustrations are the best part of this book.
on June 22, 2011
I love Fancy Nancy and so does my niece, she's 6. This book didn't have a story, but more information and things to try. Like the Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties book, it has different projects to try. Some of her books like that, story or information, sometimes both. I loved it and my niece does too.
on August 1, 2012
**Originally posted on Libby Blog**
When Nancy's best friend, Bree, gets to go on vacation to a REAL art museum, she feels terrible. An art museum sounds SO FANCY and it's in New York City of all places! The most glamorous place of all! When Nancy's mom surprises her with brand new glitter markers and her little sister with crayons inspiration strikes! Nancy begins on an artistic journey while waiting for Bree to get back, which ends in a Local Artist Exhibit right in their very own back yard!

My 7-year-old's thoughts: I loved this because I want to be an Artist when I grow up! And, I liked ALL her fancy words. I liked all the places she drew in. She was outside a lot. I was surprised that Mrs. DeVine was fancy just like her! Fancy Nancy is the fanciest girl I've ever seen! I loved all the fish drawings. Oh, and I really like when they splashed paint everywhere! I like Lionel's faces he makes. Lionel's such a goofball! I liked Claude Monet's painting the most. I wish I was fancy like Nancy!

My thoughts: I love Fancy Nancy! My girls just hang on every word in her books and on every drawing to see what she's going to say and wear! This one was extra special with all of the information and exposure to great, classic artists and their works which inspire Nancy and her friends. Today after reading this book with them last night I come upstairs to them producing their own performance in the most wild and hilarious outfits! There wasn't a scarf unused! The best part? When I asked what they were I was told "I was a storm! That's why I'm wearing all this black!" and "I'm a rainbow!" These books bring out the most amazing imaginations in children! What more could you ask for in a book!?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
For Fancy Nancy spring vacation looms lonely. Her friend Bree is gone to New York- (a very glamorous place) and Nancy is glum. Mom knows just how to cheer her up -- with a new set of glitter markers! New glitter markers give her a really great idea. She will turn her clubhouse into an art studio and spend her vacation making gorgeous works of art. As an artist she will also need an artist smock and beret (that’s French for cap).

Every day of the week we find Nancy working on different types of art. She draws ballerinas after the ballet lesson, then spends time outside painting just like Monet who painted outdoors even in the winter. She makes art using colored paper that she cuts out, just like Henri Matisse – her butterflies have two different colored wings because artist are allowed to break the rules.

Her dad takes her to the museum where she sees a real painting by Claude Monet – it’s so beautiful that it makes her happy. Then they see some artwork by Jackson Pollock and that gives them the idea to do a really big painting just he did by laying a sheet out in the yard and makings swirls and splatters of different colors of leftover house paint. Saturday has become Jackson Pollock Day – it’s fun and silly! They have an art show and invite all their friends and neighbors. They make a sign announcing the exhibit (a fancy word for show). It is a great idea!
on August 23, 2011
Our 3 year old granddaughter loves fancy nancy and in fact thinks she is fancy nancy and has her room decorated in fancy nancy style! Good pictures in these books, too!
on May 26, 2011
My 7 year old is a huge Fancy Nancy fan, and has been for years. She has the entire collection. She loves this book, and gives it an A+!
on November 18, 2014
Fancy Nancy maybe a touch envious of her friend Bree’s family trip to the glam capital of the world, New York City, but she is determined to make her spring vacation an adventurous one none-the-less. Dawning her smock and beret Nancy transforms her clubhouse into an art studio and tries her hand at numerous styles of art inspired by famous artists such as Edgar Degas, Monet, Matisse, and Jackson Pollock. Her fruitful efforts add up to one dramatic art show that the entire neighborhood will love.

Super fun read to share with young children to introduce them to some renowned artists and hopefully inspire them to break out the art supplies and get creating.
on November 1, 2013
I love get these books for my nieces- the illustrations are fantastic and the stories are so sweet. I purchased this one for my 2yo niece who recently started an art class and she loves it!! I love the fact that they show actual images of famous works from various well known artists- This book has elements for the younger kids through the older ones with some of its artist references and content. I know this will be a book she will continue to enjoy even as she gets older!
on February 13, 2013
Bought this for my four-year old grand daughter's birthday. She listened yes, but her nearly six year old sister sat enraptured the entire time with her hand poised beneath her chin -- just like Rodan's "Thinker." That was awesome to see! I could imagine her creative wheels turning and her let's do it juices flowing. I traveled out of town since then so am eager to follow up!