5.0 out of 5 stars Magic in the details
Everything about this hardback kids' book is charming, but it's the little details that will make you a Fancy Nancy fan.

Published on February 7, 2008 by Julie Neal

1.0 out of 5 stars Small
The book itself was smaller than the typical Fancy Nancy books you buy out in the store and it had no cover on it.
Published 19 months ago by Samantha Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic in the details, February 7, 2008
Julie Neal (Celebration, Fla.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

The illustrations -- pen and ink over vivid watercolor -- are packed with fun and realistic details. They bring the story to life, and more importantly, bring the characters to life. For example, in a scene in a garden, Nancy's mom is wearing a cap with a pink breast cancer ribbon that reads "3 Day Race." When the family has a picnic, Nancy has a tea set up for her dolls with the table being a shoebox. The shoebox reads "Comfies: Like walking on a cloud! Size 8 medium." In the hotel room, dad rests with a book over his eyes. The title? Dangerous Admissions, which is author Jane O'Connor's novel for adults.

The plot is nice, too. It's about how little girl Nancy has to miss her friend Bree's butterfly-themed birthday party because she has to go to her grandparents' anniversary celebration. Nancy is very unhappy at first: "For the next two days, I scowl and sulk and storm around the house." But when the tiny drama queen goes to the anniversary she has a great time, and apologizes for her bad behavior.

The cover is as fancy as Nancy herself, with glossy glittery sparkles on the artwork, words and the outside border of the book. When you take off the paper sleeve, the hardback cover has the same artwork but without the sparkles.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Fancy Nancy yet!, February 10, 2008
Dear Reader,
You won't believe this, but I have seven daughters--yes, seven--from ages 15 yrs to three months old. We ALL adore Fancy Nancy. (Okay, maybe I'm putting words in the mouth of the 3 month old, but my other little girls love Nancy so much, they read the books to the baby.)

The sparkley covers are enough to make any princess swoon, but the delightful writing (so few words on a page--thank you!) and spectacular illustrations make Fancy Nancy a DAILY ritual in our house.

In her latest adventure, Nancy is distraught when she finds out she'll have to miss her best friend's birthday party for her grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. O'Connor presents a delightful, yet very real family: mom, dad, sister, grandparents, even dog.

Of course, there is new, fancy vocabulary as Nancy expresses herself in the fanciest way possible. I'll leave it to you to discover how the butterfly theme is brilliantly woven throughout.

Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Butterflies and Parties, March 2, 2008
Timothy Haugh (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
When I first wanted to get Fancy Nancy books for Nancy, my daughter, my wife was a little concerned. She wasn't sure she wanted to encourage our daughter to be "fancy." But Ms. O'Connor has proved time and again that her stories are positive, family-friendly tales that are perfect for any child. This book is no exception.

In Bonjour, Butterfly, Nancy the butterfly-lover helps her friend Bree plan a butterfly-themed birthday party. Then she finds out that she won't be able to attend the party because she has to go to her grandparents 50th wedding anniversary party instead. Though I had a bit of a tough time getting past the idea that Nancy's parents would forget about the conflicting dates, the truthfulness of the family relationships shone through and made for another good story.

It also needs to be said that Robin Preiss Glasser's artwork for these books may be the best in children's literature right now. I keep thinking I'll get tired of it but I never do. Every page is like opening up to a new masterpiece of detail and beauty. She deserves a lot of the credit for making these books what they are.

And what these books are is an eye-popping experience of excellence. Certainly, nobody with a child named Nancy can do without. But I would recommend them to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best yet..., February 13, 2008
I've been purchasing "Fancy Nancy" books for my nieces since O'Connor began writing them. Ages 4 and 5 right now, these girls LOVE the colorful images and sweet story lines. As a teacher, I love these books because they increase a child's familiarity with extended vocabulary. The illustrations are beautiful, the story line teaches children valuable lessons (for instance in "Bonjour, Butterfly" - maybe we can't always do what we want, but that doesn't mean you won't have a great time doing what you need to do...), and the vocabulary is fantastic! I can't wait to add these to my teaching library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every bit as delectable as a box of candy!, July 1, 2008
Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly is filled with delicious details -- the story, the family relationships, and the magnificent illustrations that seem to have a life of their own, and characters that somehow spring to life with the economy of words necessary for a book for this age range.

I am a big Fancy Nancy fan, and seeing the reactions on a child's face while exploring this book makes it worth every single penny. Quite simply, this is a book not to be missed (much like the other books in the series!)

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Positively Glowing, February 5, 2008
I'm surrounded by boys. I only have brothers, and I only have sons. I even have more nephews than nieces. That is why I'm so glad that Fancy Nancy exists to put me in touch with my inner, glowing, girlie self. I love that she loves pink and bows and beads and all things frilly and French (one of my majors in college was French). Nancy has become one of my best friends by her sheer celebration of what it means to be a girl.

For the rest of this review and others, see my site.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the Fancy Nancy books so far, February 25, 2008
I think this is the best of the Fancy Nancy books thusfar. I bought all 3 books (Fancy Nancy, Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy, and Fancy Nancy Bonjour Butterfly) for my 2 daughters (7 and 3). They both just love the books. My 7-year old is now using the fancy words(exquisite,glamorous, elegant, gorgeous, etc) and French words she has learned in her daily conversations and writing. My 3 year old now knows that Bonjour means hello. She also loves to look through the elegant illustrations while I read the story for her. It is a "must-have" for girls. I am going to get the books for my nieces as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Girl's World, March 24, 2008
Fancy Nancy
Bonjour, Butterfly
By Jane O'Connor
Illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser

Nancy's best friend Bree is having a butterfly birthday party,
They make invitations and try on butterfly costumes.

When Nancy's mom tells her she can't go, because it is on the same day as her grandparents anniversary party, Nancy is heartbroken.

When she sees her grandparents, she perks up, a little. Nancy has so much fun at the party, she forgets to be furious.

I read the book, then had my second grade granddaughter read it to me. She had some trouble with the `Fancy' words.

My granddaughter especially liked Nancy's doll Marabelle, who was with her even when she couldn't be with her friend, Bree.
And she liked the words: Bonjour, heartbroken, scowl, sulk, glamorous, and gorgeous.

I loved the illustrations, the use of French words and Nancy's fancy costumes, hats and hair decorations.

We both enjoyed this book and would recommend it especially for little girls who love to dress-up.

Jill Ammon Vanderwood, Author
Through the Rug
Through The Rug: Follow That Dog (Through the Rug)
Great read-together books for this age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, Darling, Fabulous, May 6, 2009
My newly four year old daughter and I have just discovered Fancy Nancy, and I don't know how we have missed her until now. FANCY NANCY: BONJOUR, BUTTERFLY is our first Fancy Nancy book. But it certainly will not be our last. These books are colorful, humorous, and Nancy, well, Nancy is quite a character, and very, very, very similar to my youngest child. My wee one clearly sees herself in Fancy Nancy, as do I. This was a perfect birthday gift for her.

In FANCY NANCY: BONJOUR, BUTTERFLY, our very glamorous Nancy is inconsolably disappointed because she is going to miss her best friend's birthday extravaganza. It seems that it is on the same day as her grandparents' 50th anniversary party. For two days, this little drama queen "scowls and sulks and storms around the house." But when she gets to the extraordinary party, Nancy has "so much fun, that she forgets to be furious." She even apologizes to her parents for her previous behavior.

Author Jane O'Connor has created an adorable character in Fancy Nancy, one that my daughter whole-heartedly relates to. (I really think that Ms. O'Connor must have followed my little one around to get her inspiration for Nancy). Nancy always dresses in costume, complete with incredible hats and feather boas; is very, very feminine and girly; and she is a total drama queen - every word that comes out of her mouth is fancy and exaggerated. Her emotions are extreme, but she always has a good time in the end. Seriously, this is exactly how I would describe my 4 year old.

The sumptuous illustrations in FANCY NANCY: BONJOUR, BUTTERFLY are masterpieces - bold, bright, and extremely detailed. Nancy's many and varied costumes are confections of couture. Even the cover art is fit for a princess: shiny, vivid, and sparkly.

As I said, this is our first Fancy Nancy book, but definitely not our last. My daughter loved this book, and clearly recognizes a kindred spirit. I can already tell, there is going to be even more high drama, even more fancy clothes and costumes around our house from now on. Oh well, like mother, like daughter... ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Children's Book Review: Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly, June 28, 2008
absolutely adore this picture book. The artwork is lavish and the use of language is divine, making it a feast for the eyes and the ears.

Glasser's technical ability is stunning as her detailed illustrations enrich the stories theme and adds depth to an already charming story. In one scene Fancy Nancy models her fancy butterfly costume for her younger sister. In the background three pictures (evidently drawn by Fancy Nancy herself) hang on the wall. The descriptive caption in the first picture reads "PLAIN Caterpillar," the second reads "EVEN PLAINER cocoon," and finally, the third reads "FANCY Butterfly." In the foreground, Fancy Nancy stretches up on her tippy toes, a blanket puddled around her feet. Her little sister sits on the floor completely wrapped in another blanket, watching Fancy Nancy with an expression of obvious admiration. This adorable image suggests that Fancy Nancy is just starting to emerge from the cocoon that still swaddles her younger sister, adding a subtext to O'Connor's narration.

O'Connor clearly understands the relationship children have with language. The author makes no attempt to talk down to her young readers. The story is liberally sprinkled with a plethora of fancy words, often defined by Fancy Nancy herself. Children love elaborate words and enjoy using them correctly. (I recall my kindergarten fascination with the word `obstinate'; a word that expressed so much more than just being `stubborn.')

Along with the challenging vocabulary, O'Connor's writing captures the ups and downs of pre-school emotion in all of its delightful detail and drama. Fancy Nancy is a character parents will recognize and small children can relate to. The theme of finding joy despite disappointment is one that will resonate with both reader and listener, and provides a platform for further discussion.

I highly recommend Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly. It's a delightful combination of rich art and literary expression.

Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly by Jane O'Connor (Hardcover - February 5, 2008)
Used & New from: $5.93