Published on February 7, 2012 by Nancy Jo

1.0 out of 5 stars Fancy Nancy is great...
I am so glad to have found Fancy Nancy. My little Granddaughter loves all her Fancy Nancy books and I truly enjoy reading them to her. I recommend Fancy Nancy to all little girls
Published 22 months ago by leslie

5.0 out of 5 stars She's back and super fancy -- and the story will melt your heart!, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
If you are a fan of any of the books, you will love to add this to your collection! I own all the hardcover books (how can I not? my name is Nancy!) and this one just arrived this morning. The colors, illustrations and dust jacket are beautiful, as usual. I was a little curious about the title, but it ends up being one of (if not my most) favorite of the whole series. Nancy is her usual self and obsessed with her current life situation -- dance class -- and is thrilled that they will be performing a ballet. She is ready to be the star, but her and her friend Bree end up being supporting roles (a tree and an oyster). They are sad, but decide to be happy about it and enjoy fancy-fying their roles. It ends up Bree gets to be a Mermaid and I am just in love with how Nancy decides to deal with the situation. It is a great story of friendship and love that I want to read to my daughter over and over! You'll love it, I 100% promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute, fun & educational too!, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
My daughter received this book as a gift for her 3rd birthday and she LOVES it! When I saw how many pages & words were in the book, I was concerned that my just-turned-3-year-old would not have the attention span to sit through it, but she did and hung on to every word!

The book teaches new vocabulary and also has a great life lesson weaved in. This is one of our favorite books now and I plan to buy more Fancy Nancy books as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for Fancy Nancy fans!, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
Fancy Nancy and her friends are back. In this installment Nancy and her dance class are preforming a mermaid ballet. Nancy is not proud of the role that she is given. Her friends and family teach her that there are no small parts! She learns the meaning of teamwork!

The cover caught my girls, ages 5 and 7, eyes right away! It's full of sparkly glitter ! If you are a Fancy Nancy fan this book is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vocabulary with a pinch (or many!!) of fun!, March 22, 2012
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
Oh how I love Fancy Nancy! Is it silly that I am not quite certain if it my daughter or myself that is more giddy when this book comes off the shelf? Every Fancy Nancy we've read so far has been spectacular! (That's a fancy word for great.) Glittery embossed covers to fanciful illustrations. Drama like only a little girl can master and oh woe is me I love it to pieces! Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet is more that just a picture book for your 4-7 year old. It is a vocabulary lesson disguised and covered in pink, purple and teal (or sapphire and turquoise - fancy words for blue). So many things can be learned and this one is about more than just words.

In the Mermaid Ballet, Nancy and Bree learn about being a team in ballet and how every part counts - even the tree and oyster. It is not only the main mermaid that gets to swim, but even all the others get to sway and become carried away. Each page is fun and full of things to discuss. The images are so cute and make me grin. Every time we read through AppleBlossom finds another thing of amusement. I'm so delighted. Just for our shelf to read for fun, but also for the sly homeschooling vocabulary on the side. So very much recommended.

*Thanks to HarperCollins for providing a copy for review.*

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Favorite!, March 7, 2012
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
Fancy Nancy and The Mermaid Ballet is one of our favorite Fancy Nancy books. The cover and illustrations are amazing and the storyline is something children and adults of all ages can relate to. It is a must read for families as well as classroom teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Fancy Nancy Story, February 19, 2012
Timothy Haugh (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
With a young daughter named Nancy, we obviously have a lot of Fancy Nancy titles on the shelf. All of them are good, but some of them are better than others. This newest one is one of the better ones.

This time around, I particularly like the lesson it teaches. It's an obvious one, but it fits well in the story that is told. Here, Nancy becomes jealous when her best friend, Bree, gets a part in the ballet recital that Nancy really wants. Along the way, we get to see Nancy's love of ballet and everything fancy (of course).

In the end, as expected, everything works out well. Nancy and Bree are friends forever and there is a celebratory dinner at the King's Crown. It's much of what's best in a Fancy Nancy story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Fancy!, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
My five-year old is a fancy girl herself, and we have all the books. This has to be one of the best yet. And there is a line in here that makes us laugh every time, one you would never expect Nancy to utter. "Say what?" You won't be disappointed. It also teaches a good lesson about jealousy and friendship, and the cover is simply beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of imagination and glamour!, August 1, 2012
**Originally posted on Libby Blog**
When Madame Lucille announces that they will be performing a ballet called Deep-sea Dances, Fancy Nancy and Bree can't wait to be the lead mermaids! Unfortunately, they are assigned to be a tree and an oyster. After a lovely tea party where they talk about how wonderful each will be in their parts, Fancy Nancy is disappointed once again when the star mermaid gets injured and Bree is selected to take her place instead of her. As Nancy struggles with jealously and trying to overcome it, we are treated to gorgeous and glamorous outfit after outfit as usual!

My 5-year-old's thoughts: I loved Fancy Nancy and her friend when they played mermaid and her little sister poured water on the top of the lagoon. I liked their little playhouse and loved the Fancy Nancy dresses. And I liked her friend too. It was awesome when she bowed down to the dance teacher and I loved the little peace sign on the other girl's dress. I like the girl with the braids in and the purple suit with a bow in her hair. I loved when they played tea party with the French words. I love it when she swoops and swirls everywhere. I didn't like when the girl sprained her ankle. I also didn't like it when Fancy Nancy's friend got to be the mermaid and not Fancy Nancy. That was kind of mean. I didn't like it when she shoved her costume in behind the closet! I loved the show! And I liked when they hugged at the end. That's all.

My thoughts: This was such a delightful story with Fancy Nancy which not only includes all that you would expect from Nancy but also a great life lesson too! Jealously is such a tough issue for young children and even adults to deal with. After some sound advice from her mother, Fancy Nancy pulls it off gracefully and admiringly. Plus, she does it in true Fancy Nancy style! Wait until you see her on stage in her Weeping Willow costume! WOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves it!, February 17, 2012
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
Second to Bonjour Butterfly, this is my daughter's (now 6) second favorite Fancy Nancy book! SOOOO cute! We have all the books and this is certainly a great addition to her collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Granddaughter Loved It!, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet (Hardcover)
My granddaughter is in love with Fancy Nancy. When I ordered the first one for her she loved it and on the inside cover of book listed more Fancy Nancy book titles. She told me she wanted all of them!!!! When I ordered through amazon.com they notify me when a new Fancy Nancy is released. The mermaid one she got for Easter. Where're anxiously waiting for the next one.

Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet
Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet by Jane O'Connor (Hardcover - February 7, 2012)
$17.99 $13.54