Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 7, 2006
After running across Fancy Nancy while surfing amazon.com, I went to Borders Bookstore to see it in the flesh and was instantly captivated. It's a good-sized picture book with the most remarkable illustrations imaginable! There's even glitter incorporated into the book's cover. Having a "fancy nancy" granddaughter who turns five later this month, it will make the perfect gift (and if I ever need an illustrator I'm calling on Robin Priess Glasser!!).

Jane O'Connor's story is about a little girl who loves being fancy (you should see her room!). No one seems to understand that lace-trimmed shoes do help her play soccer better, and sandwiches definitely taste better with frilly toothpicks stuck in them; but, Nancy eventually convinces her unfancy family to fancy up and go out to dinner one evening. They all have a great time until disaster falls (well, not really a big deal in the scheme of things, but certainly so to a very young fancy lady). She finds out her family still loves her even when they all end up covered in ice cream sundaes...oops, I mean parfaits. She also learns that there's no fancy way to tell someone you love him/her, except to say, "I love you."

This book is precious beyond words. I'm having second thoughts about parting with it. I might have to get another copy for my little one. Oh yes, and it's up for a Quill award (consumer choice award)in the best children's illustrated book category. The awards take place this very next week (Oct 10) in New York City.

One thing I know for sure: I know how I'm going to fancy up my black pumps when my husband and I go steppin' out tonight!

Carolyn Rowe Hill
on December 31, 2005
Fancy Nancy is a book I can relate too, even thirty plus years after being a little girl who would have LOVED to have my "fanciness" appreciated by my family! I appreciate the wisdom and creativity of our little protagonist - she is a good peer role model for the young picture-book set.

I am buying two copies - one for my seventy-three year old mother who is a "Fancy Nancy" herself and also for myself... my children may borrow it to read, but I will keep it in my room to read-aloud and laugh and laugh and laugh!

Oh - a special nod, too, for the "fancy" illustrations. Loved each and every one.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2009
This book is a hands on manual for a little girl's tea party. There are ideas for desserts, decorations, etc. It is intended for older girls that may be considering having a tea party. Beautifully illustrated with easy recipes and ideas for children to do with an adult to prepare for a tea party. It really doesn't have a story line usually associated with the book series, which can be a bit confusing if you are prepared for Fancy Nancy to go to a tea party and a plot develop! Darling book suited for older girls.
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2008
Everything about this hardback kids' book is charming, but it's the little details that will make you a Fancy Nancy fan.

The illustrations -- pen and ink over vivid watercolor -- are packed with fun and realistic details. They bring the story to life, and more importantly, bring the characters to life. For example, in a scene in a garden, Nancy's mom is wearing a cap with a pink breast cancer ribbon that reads "3 Day Race." When the family has a picnic, Nancy has a tea set up for her dolls with the table being a shoebox. The shoebox reads "Comfies: Like walking on a cloud! Size 8 medium." In the hotel room, dad rests with a book over his eyes. The title? Dangerous Admissions, which is author Jane O'Connor's novel for adults.

The plot is nice, too. It's about how little girl Nancy has to miss her friend Bree's butterfly-themed birthday party because she has to go to her grandparents' anniversary celebration. Nancy is very unhappy at first: "For the next two days, I scowl and sulk and storm around the house." But when the tiny drama queen goes to the anniversary she has a great time, and apologizes for her bad behavior.

The cover is as fancy as Nancy herself, with glossy glittery sparkles on the artwork, words and the outside border of the book. When you take off the paper sleeve, the hardback cover has the same artwork but without the sparkles.
VINE VOICEon December 4, 2009
Fancy Nancy Splendiferous Christmas

Fancy Nancy, what an adorable "fancy girl" she is, and wait until you read about her Christmas! Presents with elegant wrapping paper, fancy cookies, and wait until you see the tree topper Nancy purchased with her own money. But me things go awry, can Nancy still have a "splendiferous Christmas"?

MY THOUGHTS - This book is so very adorable. Targeted for the (4-8) age group, the book is beautifully illustrated by: Robin Preiss Glasser. There are some great new words for the little readers as well:

* aroma - nancy says: "a fancy word for smell"
* heirlooms - nancy says: "fancy for thinks that are old and valuable".
* delectable - nancy says: "fancy for yummy".
* pleading - nancy says: "like begging only fancier" AND........
* splendiferous - nancy says " only one word describes how magnificent, joyous and sparkly Christmas morning is"

Truly a delightful holiday read for children (and adults too)!
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2007
I bought this beautiful book for my fancy 3 year old granddaughter, Mary Mace, and she absolutely LOVES it. I read it first and now I want my own copy! The illustrations are magnificent---vibrant, alive and dazzling on every page. The story is educational and instructional. Nancy loves everything fancy from pink boas to sparkling tiarras and high heels....but alas, her family is plain. So Nancy decides to give them "fancy" lessons to which they willingly comply. In the end, Nancy comes to realize that plain is not so bad, either, as long as your loved. This is a light-hearted, well-told story which I highly recommend for girls of all ages.
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2009
I bought my granddaughter, Mary Mace, her first Fancy Nancy book when she was just 3 years old in 2007. She fell head over high heels in love with the witty, sparkly Nancy and her over-the-top ways. Since January of 2007, I have bought her every Fancy Nancy book and she devoured them, memorizing the story as her mother read them to her.

When she got this book last week, she immediately called me. She's now almost 6 years old and in kindergarten. She said, "Grammy, I love, love, love the new Fancy Nancy book. It's utterly splendiferous!" I laughed and asked her about the story and she told me all about it. Then my daughter got on the phone and told me that Mary Mace was recently tested and promoted to a first grade reader because she's so far ahead of the other children. Her teacher was amazed by how many 'big' words Mary Mace knew. My daughter and I both agreed that Fancy Nancy played a huge part in expanding Mary Mace's vocabulary. Each book is full of exciting, fun words and synonyms and the artwork is fabulous and glittering.

If you're looking for a book to make a little girl extremely happy this year for Christmas, I highly recommend this book and all of the Fancy Nancy books. They're not only fun, but also educational!
on February 10, 2008
Dear Reader,
You won't believe this, but I have seven daughters--yes, seven--from ages 15 yrs to three months old. We ALL adore Fancy Nancy. (Okay, maybe I'm putting words in the mouth of the 3 month old, but my other little girls love Nancy so much, they read the books to the baby.)

The sparkley covers are enough to make any princess swoon, but the delightful writing (so few words on a page--thank you!) and spectacular illustrations make Fancy Nancy a DAILY ritual in our house.

In her latest adventure, Nancy is distraught when she finds out she'll have to miss her best friend's birthday party for her grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. O'Connor presents a delightful, yet very real family: mom, dad, sister, grandparents, even dog.

Of course, there is new, fancy vocabulary as Nancy expresses herself in the fanciest way possible. I'll leave it to you to discover how the butterfly theme is brilliantly woven throughout.

Enjoy!
VINE VOICEon March 30, 2007
And boy am I glad to see her! I bought the first sparkley "Fancy Nancy" for my 3 year old granddaughter, Mary Mace, and she LOVES the book. It's one of her favorites. I pre-ordered this one and Mary Mace got it the day after her baby brother was born! Her Daddy read it to her right away and she adored the story of the posh puppy. In fact, when they all were leaving the hospital to bring the new baby home, Mary's Daddy said to her Mom: "What's the matter . . are you sad to leave this *posh* room?" LOL! Mary Mace explained to her Mom that posh was a fancy word for fancy. Ahem! Even Daddy's can learn new words.

The story is about Nancy's neighbor getting a fancy dog called a Papillon. Nancy decides she wants one, too, that is until she 'babysits' the dog and realizes that it's not as much fun as her friends' plain old dogs because it doesn't like to play and fetch. It just likes to sit around looking pretty all day! So Nancy's Mom takes her to the animal shelter where she finds a Poodle named "Frenchie" who is just right for her. This is a fabulous book with a great moral and the artwork is magnificent. A perfect book for any little boy or girl who loves stories.
on November 4, 2009
What an adorable book! I've been waiting for a Christmas related story of our favorite fancy girl, and this did not disappoint at all. Yet again, Nancy is perfectly fancy, perfectly eloquent, and perfectly heartwarming. We are huge fans of both Fancy Nancy and Christmas in our house, and this book is a perfect addition to our holiday collection. A must for all Fancy girls out there!