4.0 out of 5 stars Containnnns spoilers!
Alright. Just finished the book. About 15 minutes ago.
Published on April 14, 2010 by anonymousss

2.0 out of 5 stars I Miss The Original Plot
Anyone else feel that this series has gone seriously downhill? The original three books were so great, with such a good arc. The next three made no sense, not even as singular episodes.

Published on June 10, 2010 by Astro 599

4.0 out of 5 stars Containnnns spoilers!, April 14, 2010
Alright. Just finished the book. About 15 minutes ago.
At first I wasn't going to read it, because to tell you the truth, I was kind of upset with Mr. Patterson here. I felt like after the third (or second?) book, he kind of just gave up on the series. Got lazy. Became all about the money, less about the plot. This angered me. So, I had a Maximum Ride fast for about a year. And on March 15, this book came out.
And unlike all the other books, I DIDN'T GO OUT AND BUY IT. In fact, I really didn't even think about it for a while.

...Until this morning. At FOUR IN THE FREAKING MORNING. When I very randomly woke up, wide awake, with the intense craving to read Maximum Ride. I tried not to, I really did. But I guess my will-power just couldn't keep up. I guess long-term grudges just aren't really my thing.
And so I read. And read...

And then, I caved and bought FANG today. I'm not proud of myself, but I just couldn't resist.

So I gotta say, I'm a pretty big fax fan. Or more like just a Fang fan. So this book was just perfect for me.
(Now I'm kind of confused about whether I liked the book for the book, or just because Fang was in it a lot. To be determined later.

So now for my review:
For starters, one of the main reason I started my so-called "fast" was because I felt like James would start theories about 'the big picture' and just leave them hanging and never develop them. I liked how he actually brought them up in this book! Like the whole 'Max-looking-in-the-mirror-and-seeing-an-eraser' thing. Okay, so he didn't REALLY develop them. But at least it was mentioned. I felt like he had completely forgotten about them, so it was comforting that he hasn't...yet.

Dylan. I don't know about him. He seemed pretty okay to me, but just kind of..boring. And dependent on the scientists. Like the whole 'I'm programmed to love Max thing'? What was up with that? I don't know. But I didn't completely hate him, he was just a little boring. Never met Max in my life but I already love her? She's my SOULMATE? Please. Give it a rest, James. Oh, and I have this theory that he's Max's voice! I'm kind of proud of myself for coming up with this one: Think about it. He was created 8 months ago. If you remember, Max and the Flock left their home about a year ago. Max really didn't start to hear the voice until a while later...say, maybe FOUR months later? (Dylan's creation...hmmm...)

Hey, uhm, Fang? Yeah, WAY TO GIVE ME A FREAKING HEART ATTACK. Seriously. I never cry during books. Ever. It really hasn't ever happened. Did I cry during this book? Yeah. TWICE. Don't know what is wrong with me. So Fang died, and I just burst into tears for a good 20 minutes. It was a sad sight. And then, wooh, he's back! Okay, I said to myself, calm down. Everything's okay. Fang's alright. Everyone's alright. (Oh, by the way, Dylan's suicide attempt? WTH?) And then Akila and Total got married? Uhm, okay, whatever floats your boat... but I was good. Satisfied. Fang was safe.
So then Patterson decides he couldn't POSSIBLY have everything be fine and dandy. He had to make Fang write the saddest. letter. ever. I cried even harder that time. If that's possible. And I just kind of sat there in shock for a while. (Why was I in shock? Still don't know. This is totally a thing Mr. Patterson would do, since he likes to play with our emotions...)

Liked the Fang blog. Added some mmph into it. Wish I would've saved it for later after I experienced all the emotions of the book to their full potential. I'm such a sap.

LOVED VEGAS. Love, love, loved it. Especially the jackpot scene. Made me laugh.

Dr. G-H was interesting. I guess.

Mr. Chu...huh? green kid? Do I want to know?

Still hating Angel. Why can't she just be HAPPY?! or at least content??

So, I'm thinking a four outta five. What say you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it for What it Is: a Preview, March 6, 2010
Franny Syufy "Franny Syufy" (No. California Gold Country) - See all my reviews
I read with interest the one star reviews by certain readers, given as protest to the use of "free preview" vs "free sample" vs initial free books. My thoughts are:
- Free samples are given for already-published books, and are a good way to decide whether or not to spring $$ for the full book
- Free previews (a relatively new feature) are given for upcoming books, and also are valuable as a decision-making tool.
- Free full books, have been used mostly for first-time authors, or possibly genres such as "Christian Fiction," which are newly making the scene on Kindle.

Face it: they are ALL marketing ploys and are readily recognized as the same.

As to the disgruntlement over "Cluttering up best-seller lists," readers with normal intelligence will recognize free samples and previews, and yes, free full books, as what they are. Whether or not the reader wants to bother downloading and reading them is a personal preference. However, If you don't like the practice, don't download the free previews. But also, please *don't* publish one-star reviews as a means of protest. If you haven't *read* a book or preview, you've no real business reviewing it. That's just cluttering up these reviews, which is just as bad as what you're protesting.

I am a fan of the Maximum Ride series, and have bought and read every book in the first series. I probably would have pre-ordered "Fang" without benefit of the "free preview," and indeed, have ordered it after reading the preview.

The book begins in a remote area called Chad, where the Max's band have been asked by Max's mother to take part in a charitable group, which is donating food and medical supplies/treatment to the starving people. We are shortly made aware of the ongoing conflict between Max and Angel, who seems determined to take over as ruler of the winged kids. We also see evidence of the continuation of Max's and Fang's poorly-hidden lust for each other. Yes, I agree somewhat with the reviewer who took exception to the "chick read" reactions of Max when Fang is around. However, I am *well-past* the age of consent, and the blushing, stammering, and gulping brought back instant memories of my first love, now deceased, whom I married too many decades ago to count. Whether or not Patterson is out of his league with this genre is moot at this point, as far as I'm concerned.

But I digress. Max and Fang are joined by a scientist who gives them a private introduction to a handsome young man in his group. Although the scientist seems somewhat sinister at first, Max receives a mental message from her creator-father, implying that the scientist is trustworthy. The preview ends with a surprise when the young man removes his shirt an reveals a five-foot wingspan of radiant white wings. Is this new character to be a replacement for Fang?

For those who decried the lack of a full free book for this new series, there's a surprise at the end of the preview: a web site where you can download the full book in PDF form. I know there's a way to import PDF files into Kindle, but have never tried it. however, because of my loyalty to Amazon.com, I have pre-ordered my copy of the full book here.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Miss The Original Plot, June 10, 2010
Astro 599 "the Space Coyote" (aboard Moya in the Uncharted Territories) - See all my reviews

Character development, plotlines, and overall cohesion have all disappeared. *Sigh* Things are just getting silly now. Maybe whichever ghost writer of Patterson's is writing this series now should quit while they're not too far behind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, not as good as the first three but better than the Final Warning, March 15, 2010
Well, my bro bought this book today and I read it before him, as usual. I enjoyed the book less than the first three, but more than Final Warning, so it's about as good as Max. I thought it could have been summed up in a few dozen pages, and the whole Max/Fang thing went a little overboard. I mean, they're in survival situations constantly- so they don't exactly have time to be all mushy-mushy like they are. I guess that's love? More like obsession. Love is more than a feeling- it's an action, and Patterson doesn't capture that. Whatever. In any case, not as good as we were all hoping, but not as ridiculous as Final Warning.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why clutter the store with "previews" when Kindle/Amazon already offers samples., February 13, 2010
B. Bradley (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
While it may say "preview" in the title, I don't like the direction authors or publishers are going by cluttering up the "bestseller" list with previews when Amazon/Kindle already offers the ability to see/read samples of books. Bestseller lists should ONLY contain actual books.

I gave this a single star as a statement against publishers/authors who use this option of cluttering up the bestseller list with pointless downloads. Work within the system (allow amazon/kindle to handle the samples), don't screw up the system (clutter up the bestseller list).

2.0 out of 5 stars Going bass-ackwards., May 7, 2010
This book sucked, plain and simple sucked. Nothing personal, I say that about all books/movies that kill off the hero in the last five miutes, the fact that Fang isn't dead (yet) is the only thing that saved this book from the one-star reveiw it so rightfully deserved.
To sum it up (deep breath) Angel needs to be spanked, Dylan needs to get a life, Jeb needs, um; well whatever it is, he ain't found it yet; and Patterson needs to find his balls.
We've been moving steadily down the grade scale since Final Warning and I'm sick of it. Those of us who read the first book and got hooked on it are getting older, but Patterson's writing has been getting younger and younger to apeal to people who didn't even know the series existed untill the third book; so that we real fans are floundering in sputters of what this series SHOULD be as Patterson tries to make it appealing to a wider audience to whom the books weren't good enough for in the first place. It almost seems like the fist three books were written by a different person, and whoever that person is, I wish he'd come back.
True Max fans who have been reading since the first will see this as just another in a continuing line of disapointments and every female that has been reading (since the first or not) will get teary eyed at the ending (trust me, I did) and the boys will be disapointed because in their opinion there will have been too much mushy stuff. Girls will be disapointed when they realize that this book's ending most likely means ther will be no more mushy stuff for a long time to come, if ever.
Over all, one big disapointment at the end of a steadily increasing line of them.
In two words: it sucked.

2.0 out of 5 stars This series might end up like Icarus., December 1, 2010
The Maximum Ride series was a favorite. The first day I had "The Angel Experiment" and its two sequels a few years back, I was hooked. That passion was nearly snuffed out by The Final Warning, and when MAX came along, I thought the series was climbing higher. With FANG, I think it might have gone too high, asphyxiated, and died. While The Final Warning was like an Al Gore book, FANG is more like a soap opera, with an action scene or two thrown in when James Patterson realized what he was doing. This series is suffering from Deus Ex Machina disorder and more personalities than there are in Max's head, and it's getting bad. [SPOILER ALERT] Get new guy, with wings, okay. Cause love triangle, hmmm. Make a new villain, even though the Chu-ster and his League of Extraordinarily Evil Gentlemen is still at large, bring in some new plot lines,drop them, and hand over everything to Angel, ummmm. Kill fang and then bring him back, no point to that, really. End at a DOG WEDDING where FANG leaves his "true love" and gives up. Wow. What happened to the action-packed series. Not one memorable action sequence. This was basically a Fang-Dylan swap surrounded by waffle. I may not even get ANGEL.

2.0 out of 5 stars : (, May 11, 2010
I was really dissapointed with the book. It was one of the worst books in the series, along with The Final Warning. The rest of the Maximum Ride books are much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressed. Just an Okay read., July 5, 2012
Reading the books in this series back to back has been very interesting. I don't know if I'm enjoyed them as much as I did when I was younger. Maybe I have just grown more critical and picky as I've gotten older, but the inconsistencies that I've noticed (especially in the last few books) have become obvious. Sometimes while I was re-reading Fang, I felt like I was completely lost. James Patterson has the bad habit of throwing around too many side-plot lines and, I noticed, he doesn't always see them through to the end. With that said, even though I felt very frustrated at certain points, I wanted to read more. These books are addicting and even though I haven't been fully satisfied with any of the books except for the first three in the series, I don't think they are terrible. Many people love them and I can understand why. For older readers, this series might not be your cup of tea. There are many other good series out there with far fewer problems.

Fang begins with Max and her flock in Africa to help people there, but it is quickly overtaken by Max and Fang's relationship and all of their problems. At this point, I'm getting a little tired of Max and Fang and the constant up's and down's they have. During their second night in Africa, Angel has a premonition that Fang will die, which rattles everyone's feathers, especially Max's.

And then, out of nowhere, a doctor shows up and gives Max and Angel an invitation to breakfast to meet Dylan, who is an experiment who is very much like Max and her flock, except he isn't able to fly very well. However, nothing for Max ever goes to plan and everyone flees and returns to America.

And here is where I feel as though James Patterson almost completely lost me. So many things happen that it was hard to follow along. There is a pseudo-birthday party, a meltdown of the flock where Max is cast off, Dylan learns to fly, Angel replaces Max as the flock leader, and then Max later is reappointed as the leader. As you can tell, there was a lot (too much) going on in Fang.

All of this is happening while Max learns that new boy Dylan was supposedly made just for her (quite literally), which of course doesn't sit well with Fang or Max, even though Max does feel an attraction towards Dylan. I feel like it was a little late to be introducing a love triangle into the series and I can't say that I care for Dylan all that much, but it did add a nice twist to an aging plot line that I was getting sick of. Something else kind of shocking does happen when it comes to Fang and the ending of this book, but I sort of figured it would happen sooner or later.

Once again, I'm not too sure what to make of this book. It wasn't nearly as bad as The Final Warning, but it wasn't as good as Max. I just wish that James Patterson would have cut back on the amount of side plots he includes and focus on character development. Character development in this series is severely lacking and it was so hard for me to connect to Max or to Fang, even when everything fell apart for these two characters. I do remember Angel, the seventh and the next to last book in this series, was much better, so I'll be continuing my re-reading event. I liked this book, but I probably wouldn't read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Fang!, January 19, 2012
This is an amazing young adult read, as is the entire Maximum ride series by James Patterson.
The story contains everything to make it an excellent book: suspense, love interests, relationship development, action and moral goals. I recommend this to teens and adults alike! Thouroughly entertaining!

Fang: A Maximum Ride Novel
Fang: A Maximum Ride Novel by James Patterson (Audio CD - January 4, 2011)
Used & New from: $10.15