4.0 out of 5 stars Read this early on the weekend so you can cook later!!
Alice writes in the voice of her daughter about her daughter's favorite recipes and adventures at the restaurant. Wonderful reading and DELICIOUS recipes. At first looks a little like a children's book, but great for adults!
Published on November 8, 1997

1.0 out of 5 stars Fanny at Chez Panisse
It has more story than recipes. The recipes I didn't find very useful with children.
Published on October 31, 2007 by M. Smelser

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this early on the weekend so you can cook later!!, November 8, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventures with 46 Recipes (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably better for older children, and adults!, December 5, 2007
Amazon Customer (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews
I read this many years ago, in college, and coming back to it now, to share with my daughter, I find that this book inadvertently taught me a lot about cooking. My daughter - age 6 - is mildly interested in the story, but it is very long and wordy. It tells all about the kitchen of a gourmet restaurant, from an insider's (and child's) perspective. However, it is probably a bit much for a young child with no gourmet experience. Older children and adults may enjoy it more.

As for the recipes, they are great. The step by step explanations of what to do (the egg whites should be whipped until they are white, and you can get a soft crest when you lift the mixer) are invaluable if you are a novice. Still, it's all a bit complicated for young children. I'd say the recipes are probably good for a 10-year-olds with some help. My favorite at the moment is the recipe (and step-by-step instructions) for a 1234 cake - which I am making for a birthday party. I'd never have attempted it without this book and its detailed instructions. I am hoping the cake is as good as the batter - YUM!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all ages...a jewel in my collection., March 30, 2002
This book is written as Fanny telling about her life with her mom, the fantastic chef Alice Waters(she wrote the book). MyDaughters & I share in our love of this book, to read it...enjoying the pictures which are wonderful to the eye. then the bits on cooking and the pleasure of food & preparing it along with flavor is shared in such a great way. Allow yourself to sit down and get lost in the spirit of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Mrs. Obama Harvests the Garden, June 17, 2009
I listened via NPR to the delish harvesting of the White House Garden yesterday driving home. I love the idea that the First Lady was able to share, with kids assisting her, the beauty of sweet fresh peas in the pod. It was fun listening to them eating up those pods just out of the garden. Their WH effort has already brought in 90 pounds of harvest! That's incredible. And I can remember from my childhood all the math, all the lessons learned in this kind of activity. Mom canning, Dad with bushels of produce. Long ago and far away it was but it certainly makes me happy at a Farmer's Market or strolling in a French one selecting dinner goods. And here it is just June as they bring this stuff in. Tomatoes to come!
Well that made me think of this book. (One of our family favorites that I ought to buy for each of my kids. All three are cooks and good ones.) It's one book my children and I enjoyed because it lead us into the kitchen, and prompted us to get many others of Alice Waters and as we visited Stanford long ago for my daughter's pre-surgery visits ( major reconstruction of chest at 6) we always had time to enjoy food Water's style.
Yes, there is "a lot" of story and good thing too. That's another "value" we are passing along to children. That food tells about who we are.
It's one of the best living histories I know.A window into everything in a culture without the angers that so many other areas contain. A way to share ourselves.

Just growing and preparing with what you have harvested, be it spices in a window or lovely baby bib, carrots, tomatoes in a pot on the porch or digging and growing you are learning about the art of food and self care.This book is so insightful. Nutrition and values that keep our connection to nature.
This is an EXCELLENT present for kids. I still use recipes that sprang for our cooking together from this book.

My garden is mostly spices. But my kids still line up for the dishes and breads that carry those flavors. I'm thinking of making a nice flatbread with rosemary or perhaps the oregano tonight.

Try this. You'll enjoy it, her daughter is such a charmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful recipe book for parents who would like their children to cook and eat ACTUAL food, July 3, 2010
This is a wonderful, accessible cookbook that is a delight to read as well as cook from. This is the case for myself and for my daughter. It introduces whole foods, recipes that are fresh from the garden, recipes that are delightful to look at, smell, consider, and taste.

This is a wonderful contrast to most of the cooking for/with kids cookbooks out there. There is no open-this-can, open-that-can mix-it-together-and-call-it-food. There's no horrifyingly sugar-laden, preservative-laden, artifically-colored, -textured, -flavored anything. There's no start-with-something-healthy-and-then-tart-it-up-because-we-don't-think-kids-will-eat-food-unless-it-is-formed-like-a-smiley-face.

This book assumes your child (and you) is not an idiot. It doesn't talk down, it doesn't try to sneak healthy food under their radar, it doesn't assume that they are screen-addled dolts with no awareness or affinity for the world around them.

This book knows that kids are interesting and interested creatures who notice and are fascinated by the world around them, and how things work. This book lets them know how food work, how it gets to the table, and how wonderful it is to enjoy when it gets there.

So. If that describes your son or daughter, this (or Marion Cunningham's book) is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why wait for reservations? Get your kid to cook?, January 21, 2010
I didn't mean it Alice! Actually, yes I did! What I meant to say was I didn't mean it 'meanly'. Because like Thomas Aquinas and the Church, you know that if you get 'em while they're young, you got 'em for life! Good choices, good habits, good food ~ it just keeps on givin'.

I just bought this book twice in a week. The first was as a baby shower gift ~ the fifth such since it was published in '92 ~ and the second time for myself, realizing that while I had looked through, skimmed and admired it I had never owned or cooked from it.

Several years ago I remember running into the women I had given the first copy to as a Christmas present, her daughter was Fannies age at the time. She told me daughter had completely taken over the kitchen, relegating her husband and herself and the siblings to shopping prep and cleanup. Her brother refers to her as "Mothra" Stewart. All the kids not only eat but relish broccoli and Brussels sprouts and never balk at cleanup! I asked if she wanted help getting her "real" family back? Laughingly she screamed, "No!"

Outta' the skillets of babes! Go figure! [ASIN:0060928689 Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventures with 46 Recipes]]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Children's Cookbook, July 2, 2010
Fanny grows up in a stock pot and flavors this delightful book with vibrant stories of growing up at famed California restaurant, Chez Panisse. The best part of the book is that the recipes are top notch - and simple. My 9 year old found me having coffee with my neighbor and whispered, "Can I make the 1-2-3-4 cake?...I have all the ingredients out." We had made it together twice before. "Yes, just don't turn on the stove; I'll be home in a few minutes." The recipes are gourmet - nothing dumbed down for the young - but simple enough for kids to cook as independently as their parents allow. We give this as a bday present or as a thank you gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter book for children, January 1, 2008
Start children out with the best info and philosophy for a life of healthy eating

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely little book, April 1, 2013
Really sweet and delightful book with fantastic simple recipes. A great read for children and adults and a perfect 'beginners' cookbook to get your kids in the kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 year old girl and 8 year old boy love this book, June 28, 2014
My 4.5 year old girl and 8 year old boy love this book. We love the stories, making and eating the dishes!

Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventures with 46 Recipes
Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventures with 46 Recipes by Alice Waters (Paperback - September 6, 1997)
$19.99 $17.05