4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise! This is the Korean edition
Published on September 25, 2009 by A2900

2.0 out of 5 stars Devestating disappointment
As a lifelong musician and artist, Fantasia has been one of my all time favorite movies since I first saw it in theaters as a child. My wife, knowing my great love for this movie, bought the DVD version for me as a birthday gift. When I put the DVD on, however, my excited anticipation quickly turned to depressed disappointment.
I immediately realized that the voice...
Published on October 31, 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Devestating disappointment, October 31, 2003
This review is from: Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
I immediately realized that the voice of the narrator, Deems Taylor, whose wonderful and soothing voice spans the entirety of the movie, had been overdubbed with someone else's voice! Deems Taylor was a widely known and respected music critic in his time. He had a beautiful, deep sonorous and expressive voice. The sound of his voice was an essential part of the aural and musical magic of this film. Yet, the new owner's of Disney saw fit to overdub his voice with that of some squawky and squeaky sounding unknown, thereby ruining the entire film.
I did some research to find out why, in the name of "preservation", Disney studios would destroy this film in the way that they have. The reason, supposedly, was because they found old footage (which was NOT in the version we all knew and loved as kids) which they wanted to insert - but the audio on that obscure footage had been damaged. They felt they had to redub those voice overs. Fine. But then, in the process, they re-dubbed the entire film, even the parts that had not been damaged!
I understand, for historical interest, that some people might be interested in seeing the extra, obscure footage which had been edited out long ago , but that extra footage easily could have been put on a special features disc, not in the actual movie that millions of fans have come to know and love. This was a horrible decision by a studio which increasingly seems to have lost all sense of artistic taste and common sense. What a sad, sad disappointment.
Soon, I'll be buying a DVD recorder and I hope to preserve the original VHS version I have in that way.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the original, "uncut" theatrical version!, August 22, 2002
D.B. Spalding (Korova Multimedia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
The quality and presentation of this restored version of FANTASIA is wonderful. Finally restored, unseen since the initial release, are the complete introductory sequences, including a chimes player's accident with his instrument, the orchestra applauding Mickey Mouse, and the orchestra shuffling out for the intermission. Even the original title card has been returned to its proper place, during the intermission. (Some of the narration was rerecorded due to original voice tracks being no longer available.)

But there is CONSIDERABLE CONTROVERSY over the continued censorship of the "Pastorale" sequence. Circa 1969, the seemingly racist shots of a black centaurette (similar to Our Gang's "Buckwheat") attending on the white centaurettes were cut from the film, resulting in a "jump" in the music. Allegedly, the 1980 release's newly recorded music soundtrack covered up the clumsy edit, so that the remaining choreography was in sync. Subsequent releases to video have used optical tricks to remove the appearance of black centaurs, so that the original music track scans properly.

In this "restored" version, these optical edits are still glaringly obvious. (E.g., an optical zoom to avoid the black centaurette shows you the film grain up close, in another shot, a green bush magically slides across the ground by itself!)

The film survives as a masterpiece of filmic art, and this presentation of a "politically correct, original version" (my description) is tempting. But Disney does this release, and all customers and fans, a disservice by inappropriately calling it a "restored" and "uncut" version, when in fact it is NOT the version that was seen in the 1940 road shows.

Let your buying conscience be your guide, but consider the significance of buying an "original, restored" version that is neither, and perpetuates revisionist cuts as if they never happened.

3.0 out of 5 stars Less than I expected this time around, January 2, 2001
Chris in OC (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Don't get me wrong -- this film is fantastic, and by itself it rates 5 stars. But this DVD edition is not all its cracked up to be.
First, there's the editing in the Pastoral Symphony, as noted by other reviewers. This is nothing new -- that editing was originally done back in the 60s -- but it makes for some very grainy frames in an otherwise beautiful print.
Then there's the re-dubbing of Deems Taylor's parts. As I understand it, this was necessary because the original soundtrack was missing for parts of the extended interstitials. However, I can't believe that they couldn't find a better voice match for Taylor, given the wealth of voice talent in Hollywood these days. If you're used to the original, the difference is kind of jarring.
My biggest gripe, though, is the apparent re-mixing of the music. The original soundtrack was full-on surround sound (what Disney called Fantasound) that had the music literally surrounding the viewer, often sweeping about the room to follow movement on the screen. The 1990 theatrical and video releases contained this Fantasound mix, but the DVD seems re-mixed as a static symphony recording, with the rear channels carrying only reverb. The sound is a bit cleaner than the last go-round, but it's far less dramatic. And the differences are noticable even in plain stereo.
All of these things add up to considerably less than a faithful rendering of this film. The editing is understandable since racial stereotypes are unacceptable these days, but the rest is a shame, and hard to understand in view of Disney's usual attention to detail.
As I noted, the film itself is well worth seeing, and aside of the editing, it has never looked better. But the original laserdisc/VHS release is far more interesting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Becareful, January 14, 2003
This review is from: Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Please becareful when buying this DVD. The package say it's uncut but it really isn't. Disney felt they needed to censor some scenes because they might offend some black people. I'm a black person and I'm more offended by Disney lying to me then the scenes. I hope someday in the future Disney will think I'm mature enough to own a real uncut version.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Uncut version"....I don't think so!, November 22, 2000
Downunder Blunder (Ashburton, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
It was great to see all of the narration put back into the film, but this so called "Uncut" edition, is not what is seems. Being a life-long fan and collector of "Fantasia" items, I was shocked to see (or not to see), the small black centaurette pyganinnies, totally removed from the film in the "Pastoral Symphony". Disney's "pan & scan" techinque in one sequence chopped them out and when Bacchus is ushered up the stairs, they have been totally wiped out of the segment (the carpet now rolls itself up to the throne...ah,Disney magic). I have many of the above mentioned sequences on video and was really hoping that they would find their way back into the DVD "uncut version". I realize that in this age of 'racial discrimination" that certain things can't be shown or referred to, but give me a break, "Fantasia" is art and should not have been censored, besides, these are mythical creatures. Also,......I remember Demms Taylor as having a different voice, the one in the DVD really does not sound like him at all. Anyway these are my thoughts. Having waited so long for the "uncut version", I feel very let down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise! This is the Korean edition, September 25, 2009
A2900 "A2900" (Chicago & Sarasota) - See all my reviews
I loved Fantasia when I was a kid, and it was now time to share it with my grandchildren. I was satisfied with the price, quality and availability of this product, but, when my daughter first inserted the DVD into the player, she was disconcerted to find that the language of the speaker and the settings was Korean. She's a clever woman and she managed to fiddle with the controls to find how to switch both the spoken and subtitled portions to English, but there was no indication in the ad on Amazon that this would be necessary, and no instructions accompanying the item as to how to adjust the settings for language.

Great show, but I think that the marketing was unclear at the least, and possibly misleading. I am disappointed in the seller, whose response to my emailed comments was unsatisfactory to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Classic Feature Animation of Music and Dance, October 6, 2003
Warren J. Dew (Somerville, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
Fantasia has always been my favorite Walt Disney film, and I was delighted when I found it on DVD. The DVD release features the original 125 minute form with narrators' introductions between the acts, in a full screen 1.33:1 aspect ratio which is the same as the original film.
The style of this film is quite varied, ranging from the traditional Disney animation used in the "Sorceror's Apprentice" to the almost impressionistic artwork used with the Nutcracker suite and the abstract art used with Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. There is beautiful artistry throughout, and Disney clearly took pains to make the visual work appropriate for each selection of music. In order, the selections are:
- Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by J. S. Bach: a symphonic form of this classic work is accompanied with animated abstract artwork.
- The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky: to this ballet suite, leaves, flowers, and even mushrooms dance, illustrated with ethereal artistry. Those familiar with the ballet will see that the character of each dance in the suite is captured beautifully.
- The Sorceror's Apprentice by Paul Dukas: this piece of program music is accompanied by an animated version of the story illustrated by the music - with Mickey Mouse as the protagonist who animates ensorcelled brooms, but then is unable to control them.
- The Rite Of Spring by Stravinsky: in a mild departure from the traditional ballet interpretation, the animation uses the music to accompany a trip through prehistoric earth, from the formation of the planet, through the volcanic period, to the development of the dinosaurs. While the technique is traditional Disney animation, the style is much more realistic - an interesting mix.
- Symphony No. 6, Pastorale, by Beethoven: a movement of this symphony is accompanied by an animated interpretation of fantastic creatures - unicorns, centaurs, and pegasi - along with half a dozen greek gods in their traditional role. The action reflects the program of the music, including the storm.
- Dance of the Hours, Amilcare Ponchielli: This ballet music is used by some very nontraditional ballerinas - ostriches, hippos, elephants, and crocodiles. They still dance elegantly, with rather humorous effect.
- Night On Bald Mountain, Moussorgsky / Ave Maria, Schubert: Traditionally, the devil and his worshipers gather on Bald Mountain on Walpurgisnacht - and here, we get an impressive demon and a raft of profane followers. As the night ends, the Moussorgsky piece segues into the sacred music of the Ave Maria, with a holy procession ending in a beautiful dawn.
Perhaps the best summary of this movie is that it's like an animated evening of dance or ballet - some dances abstract, some with story lines - with the added freedom that the use of animation brings. This timeless classic will appeal to lovers of animation, music, and dance alike.

3.0 out of 5 stars 60th anniversary disc: something added, something taken away, December 8, 2000
This review is from: Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
I have an old VHS version of the original Fantasia, and decided to buy the 60th anniversary edition to replace it. The musical segments are wonderful of course, but I have two items to mention. The first thing I noticed is that the Deems Taylor voice is different. As I have read in another review, it turns out that another voice has been dubbed over Deem's voice because not all the original audio could be found for the restoration. Not a very serious concern since you are watching it for the musical parts. The second item, and the one I cannot understand, is why the theatrical trailer has been cut from this disc. After the last frame of "Ave Maria", the movie cuts back to the DVD main menu. What happened to the trailer with the orchestra members walking off and the scrolling screen credits? I feel this is just as much a part of the movie as all the rest. It is a rather jarring juxtaposition to go so quickly from the music to the menu if you are used to seeing the trailer. I see from the description of the 3-disc anthology (which I haven't seen) that it is included on that disc, so I don't understand why isn't it on this one. Maybe Disney is trying to punish me for not buying the fifty dollar boxed set. Consider this disc a mixed blessing. The music is better than ever, but a disappointing and senseless cut makes the disc less than it could have been.

1.0 out of 5 stars BE PREPARED TO BE DISAPPOINTED!!!, October 31, 2009
This review is from: Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) (DVD)
As a child, I grew up watching the "almost original" VHS copy of my favorite Disney film of all-time.

Since purchasing the DVD, I was thoroughly disappointed. The redubbing of Deems Taylor's dialogue was blasphemous, and I'm sure that it could be easily restored with the technology we have today. Also, another point of interest is the censored "Black Centaur" scene (talk about 'political correctness'). Hasn't anyone seen the recent "Donald Duck" and WWII cartoon shorts from the "Walt Disney Treasures" series? They can at least have someone come on before the movie to warn those who may be offended by an animated African-American caricature.

All I can say is I hope Disney will have the common sense to faithfully restore the entire "Roadshow" edition on DVD and Blu-Ray next year for their upcoming "Diamond" release in Fall 2010. Oh, I pray that the day will finally come!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars The original movie was great. This DVD is horrible., December 31, 2000
The 1940 movie "Fantasia" is awesome - one of the best
animated films of all time. A definite five star
film.
Unfortunately, the DVD contains an altered version of the
movie. To make matters even worse, the advertising for the DVD is
deliberately false.
First of all, the DVD is being advertised as
being "uncut." This is not true. In reality, certain scences
that some people consider to be "offensive" have been
removed.
Secondly, the DVD is being advertised as having "the
original narration." This is also untrue. In reality, this DVD
contains a newly recorded narration.

Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition)
Fantasia (Special 60th Anniversary Edition) by Ford I. Beebe (DVD - 2000)
Used & New from: $22.87