4.0 out of 5 stars Silver Takes the Gold
Short resumed Director Tim Story has done an excellent job with the film adaptation of the Marvel super-hero gang The Fantastic 4. He brought on a terrific cast, used some great special effects and made a couple of movies that the whole family can enjoy together.

Published on November 28, 2007 by Sky

Published 7 months ago by Mike Gardner

4.0 out of 5 stars Silver Takes the Gold, November 28, 2007

The criticism for the Fantastic 4 series seems to center around two similar objections. 1) Fans of the comic books are dissatisfied with the less intense film adaptations. And 2) The series is too light and family oriented. Indeed, those are valid objections if you've come looking for Marvel adaptations like The Blade Trilogy, Daredevil or The Punisher. Even the Spider-Man and the X-Men trilogies far exceed Fantastic 4 in adult-oriented content.

The Fantastic 4 series holds up quite well as a family franchise. The stories are very well put together. There are funny moments and there's great action. The acting cast is good and they take their roles seriously. Sure, the movies get campy at times. But, c'mon...it's a 1960s comic book adaptation. But the modern twists and especially the modern special effects make these films thoroughly entertaining for young and old.

Fun movies, and the sequel is even better than the original.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Movies - consistent characters, October 22, 2007
JMAP (Louisvillle, KY USA) - See all my reviews
I decided to get this 2-movie set version for the value and convenience. The original Fantastic Four movie disc offers the movie in Widescreen with a couple of featurettes. The Silver Surfer movie disc shows the movie in Full Screen format on side A and Widescreen on side B with commentary available. While I didn't expect all the bells and whistles on the second film that was offered in the other released editions, it would have been nice to have one featurette included.
I enjoyed both movies as entertaining diversions. The special effects are quite good. The characters continue the first film's fun banter in the second film. However, don't expect great depth into the characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Own The Moment" - Dsk#2=0 Special Features; Dsk#1 1 Commentary & Movie Only (+ads); That's it., May 21, 2014
This review is from: Fantastic Four / Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I made the mistake of believing a review / "correction" (then at the top of the lists) which stated that there were extensive Special Features in this product -- contrary to prior correct assertions by others (e.g. "Silver Phoenix") who said there were almost none. I soon found that the "correction" (by "Brian T") that I'd relied on was simply Flat-Out Wrong!
Upon receiving the factory-sealed product, I loaded it up and found that there were absolutely ZERO (0) special features on Disk#2 ("... Rise of the Silver..."): There was ONE and Only One choice on the initial / Disk Menu screen -- "Play [the movie]".
Disk#1 ("Fantastic Four") contains ONE and Only One (1) commentary track by 3 of the F4 actors. Chris Evans wasn't included, though the others made several very positive remarks about his great contribution -- including the revelation that he ad-lib'ed much of his own dialogue and, in so doing, greatly improved both the pacing and overall interest of the movie (their observation).
The only other "extras" in the set (all on Disk 1) were several short previews (really just "internet" ads) for other DVD products.
The "correction" that I'd relied on was Flat-Out Wrong!
I may be a bit unusual in that a big reason that I buy physical DVDs & Blu-Rays (rather than simply rely on a download service) is to get these extras. I am, therefore, quite disappointed.
So I am now faced with trying to find a source for these "extras" and buying them in addition to what I've already purchased. While I haven't worked out an actual net dollar amount that this misleading review cost me, with shipping costs it cannot be totally inconsequential... At least the movies were good. (5 stars for them, 0 for Spec.Features; Avg = 2.5; I should have given it 2 stars, but the package wasn't that worthless.))

4.0 out of 5 stars Just STOP... and have FUN!, November 6, 2012
I won't argue about comic-to-film translation. Expecting things to be exact from the comic book should be ideals left at the door. This is F4 the movie, you can read the comic book at your local comic store (I encourage you to do so!). F4 is a great movie if you can expect to have a good time with a comic book film, one that doesn't take itself too serious like the Dark Knight trilogy, nor overly comedic, like The Incredibles, but somewhere between. And I think that's the tone a Fantastic 4 film should take. While I enjoyed the first movie, I have to be honest, in the theater I was somewhat disappointed with its sequel. But over time I can sit down and enjoy it for what it is. I think time does that for some movies. Its OK to change and grow your opinions!

The transfer to blu-ray disc is pleasing and fairly standard as far as transfer go, being just as vibrant as it was in the theater. These are mostly bright films, even when its dark outside. Surround sound is also pleasing enough, using a very sci-fi pallet of sounds. Extra's are on the poor side, ripping them (and the disc design) from the DVD's essentially, and I would say that brings the overall rating down to 3 stars but the fact this edition has both films I bumped it up to 4 (when I purchased the "Own the Moments" edition it was a steal being a few bucks over the price of just one film).

Great movies if you can just stop being so critical, grab a big bowl of popcorn and your favorite soda, and have fun. I mean, this is fun for the whole family without alienating adults in my opinion. And since the Fantastic Four is one crazy family (maybe more than some families), its a win-win.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so fantastic, May 25, 2010
I really hoped this movie would resemble the X-Men Trilogy (X-Men/ X2 - X-Men United/ X-Men - The Last Stand), which I thought was a model of how to transform a comic book into a movie.

Unfortunately, Fantastic Four falls a bit flat. That casting is part of the problem. I thought Chris Evans was funny as Johnny "Torch." However, Jessica Alba as a scientist? I'm sorry, that's just casting so against type that it doesn't work. There's also no plot or emotional depth. The film tries to add some morality with Ben Grimm (Michael Chiklis), but it just seems superficial (an the silly orange costume doesn't help).

The real problem is Julian McMahon as Victor Van Doom. I've always said a good movie needs a compelling villain. Van Doom's just a horrible, superficial villain. His only motive appears to be the lust for more power - so boring and cliche. He also has some of the corniest lines in the movie. For example, during the middle of the climatic fight scene, when zapping Jessica Alba with lightning, he says "Susan, you're fired!" That really breaks the mood and tension of the scene.

It's probably worth watching Fantastic Four once if you like action movies, but this isn't a keeper.

Overall, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer is better than its predecessor. The acting, effects, and plot are all a step up. The movie also has more memorable and emotionally poignant scenes (such as when Ben and Johnny sit in a bar discussing how they would spend their last minutes, Ben scaring the bear away...).

I'm still not crazy as Julian McMahon as Van Doom - and he still says corny lines in the middle of battles - but he's not so central to this movie. On the other hand, the Silver Surfer makes for a much better villain - mysterious, cool, and powerful. I like the end - a bit of The Day the Earth Stood Still (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition).

I still don't think it's quite as good as the X-Men Trilogy, but Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer is at least not quite as careless an effort.

Just a note for concerned audiences: there are a few sexual innuendoes in the movies. They'll fly right over the head of most kids, but might be worth mentioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to wait for the trilogy, but couldn't..., January 6, 2008
I LOVE JESSICA ALBA! I really wanted to wait to get the collectors edition of the trilogy (when it comes out) but I couldn't wait. I broke down and got the 2-movie collection. Now I'll have to get the third as a loner.

The first movie was a great intro to the series, and the second one was even better.

A must for any SI-FI fans collection (if you can't wait).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch, June 25, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable movies and getting it in one set is another advantage. Buy it...
I also purchased its Digital copy over Vudu by paying 2$ each...

5.0 out of 5 stars From beginning to end, June 8, 2014
Enjoyed having both movies so I could watch them back to back. Very nice set to own if you like Marvel movies. I really appreciated the fast turn around on my order. I had movies to watch over the weekend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Comic Book Hero's, March 26, 2014
Rose (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
I love the Marvel Comics and when they started making movies, I love them even more. Trying to collect them all, if you're as big of a fan as I am of the comic book hero's, you won't go wrong by adding them to your collection either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift, February 21, 2014
Marisol Fuentes (NEW YORK, NY, US) - See all my reviews
Happy to have found both of these together in one package... it made a great Christmas gift and the recipient a new found fan of the Fantastic Four!!!

Fantastic Four / Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer [Blu-ray]