Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 6, 2007
4 stars for the show, 1 star for again releasing only 4 episodes (for shame!).

In September of '06 the animated FANTASTIC FOUR: WORLD'S GREATEST HEROES debuted on the Cartoon Network and has since, off and on, been featured on Saturday nights. For the life of me, I'm clueless as to why the air times have been so sporadic as this show is actually pretty watchable. As fans of the F.F. know, prior to this one, there've been three animated series centering on the FF: the Hanna-Barbera produced version in 1967, the 1978 series with H.E.R.B.I.E. replacing the Torch, and, more recently, the 1994 reincarnation. This new series follows hot on the footsteps of the surprisingly popular 2005 live action film (all hail sexy Jessica Alba, although she's wrong for the Invisible Woman role) and has a good chance of surpassing the other cartoon incarnations. If given the chance.

There are 26 episodes of this series so far, and, no, I haven't seen all of them (again, the show's airtimes haven't been exactly reliable). But the ones I've checked out are pretty good, once I got used to several of the modifications made. I thought it was cool that the Baxter Building now showcases a revolving holographic figure 4 which hovers on top. I more or less rolled with the costume changes, although I didn't dig the painted blue "4" on Ben's chest. Reed and Johnny's goofy, mussed-up hairdos are minor irritations.

As for Johnny Storm himself, I've never been a big fan, and, now, he really gets on my nerves. Patterned after the live action film's version, the Torch has never been more immature, brash, and irksome. Now I've always liked Reed Richards, who's never been the ideal leading man, but here he's even more bland, absent-minded, and henpecked (thanks, Sue). But he still seems to boast that powerhouse intellect. Ben Grimm is Ben Grimm, funny, warm-hearted guy and tragic monster. Susan rubbed me the wrong way in "Trial by Fire" but, give her credit, she comes across as commanding, determined, and formidable. Too, Ben and Johnny maintain their familiar juvenile bouts of teasing, pranking, and gamesmanship.

The good things? Well, having an animated series about the F.F. is great in itself. But, barring the first episode "Trial by Fire" (which was dull and disappointing), the stories I've seen have been consistently involving, action packed, and humorous. The series draws faithfully from the Fantastic Four's vast 50+ years of adventuring. This Volume 2 dvd package gives a nod towards the intergalactic part of the F.F. mythos as the episodes record the F.F.'s first encounters with the Kree Empire (and Ronan the Accuser), the Skrulls (and the Super Skrull), and the aggravating Impossible Man.

The animation is pretty bangin'. As rendered by the French-based animation group Moonscoop, the show combines elements of 2D and 3D graphics to very good effect. Yes, there's a leaning towards the anime style, which might or might not turn off some folks.

But here we go again with the shabby, stingy treatment: series volumes comprised of a minimal number of episodes being released individually. I'd say save your money for the entire season release, but, not knowing whether the Cartoon Network still has this show's back, it might take even longer for that to happen. I hope the Cartoon Network at least airs (or re-airs) "Frightful" which is rumored to have a cameo of Peter Parker/Spidey in it. Anyway, this no-frills Volume 2 dvd offers these 4 episodes:

"Trial By Fire" - Johnny Storm is charged with high crimes against the intergalactic Kree Empire. Johnny's trial lawyer? Reed Richards.

"My Neighbor Was A Skrull" - The Baxter Building suffers a systems breakdown even as the F.F.'s neighbors get all weird; H.E.R.B.I.E. begins speaking in Spanish: "El gato es muy macho."

"Impossible" - Reed's space probe returns with an unexpected guest: the mischievous, shapeshifting Impossible Man. Now the F.F. can't get rid of the pesky alien.

"Revenge of the Skrulls" - The Skrulls are back, bringing with them the Super Skrull (who boasts all of the F.F.'s powers), but their scheme is thwarted by the F.F. - and some nerd named Rupert, who won Susan's "Be A Fantastic Fifth for a Day" contest. Meanwhile, Ronan the Accuser seeks revenge against the Human Torch.
on March 12, 2008
I think this is a great show. I love the animation style. The only thing I wish was that it was a full season and in widescreen. The opening credits are obvious the show is made in widescreen format but for some reason they crop it fullscreen.
on November 2, 2007
Not quite the same caliber of Fantastic Four cartoons I used to watch back in the day (Hanna Barbera versions & the 1994 version, I never liked the ones with H.E.R.B.I.E. in them though), but they are very entertaining.
on November 30, 2007
This applies to this entire series, not just Vol. 2.
It's all right, I enjoyed it, mainly because Reed Richards has always been my favorite character and he is pretty awesome in this. Some of his lines are a bit uncharacteristic, but it's good for the most part. I'd say the best quality this cartoon has besides Mr. Fantastic is the animation. The quality is excellent, as well as the way the surroundings (i.e. the Baxter Building, Fantasticar, cites, outer space) are drawn. They look superb.

The worst thing, however, is Johnny. His hair is awful, his lines are cheesy a lot, and he acts like a jerk. Yes, he is supposed to be kind of a hothead, but this one exaggerates it a bit. He looks like a freak. The anime look makes me want to cringe. Sue is pretty, but the anime degrades her too. Not as much as Johnny, but still a little too much for my liking. Her attitude and tone of voice were sort of uncharacteristic at times. Good thing Reed and Ben aren't as bad as far as the anime goes, otherwise it would ruin everything.

I wouldn't buy a DVD with only a few episodes on it, however. Wait until they come out with the entire season, maybe buy it if it's a good price.
on March 25, 2009
I really like this series. I wish they would have put all the episodes together.
on January 18, 2008
My grandson loves super heroes and this one is at the top of his list
on November 24, 2007
I cant say I was impressed with the story line. They appear a bit non-serious to me. Graphics are ok. Johnnies childish behaviour was taken to a new level
on September 1, 2013
Already had these episodes with Vol.1. My bad. outside of that the disc was fine. My apologies for that oversight.
on January 1, 2015
Gets me excited every time.