4.0 out of 5 stars Bought these same matches.
At 1st I did not realize you have to lightly scrape away the top coat of the match before striking.
Once I figured this out, these matches lit right up. They do not burn like regular paper or even wood
matches. They burn like concentrated and thick fuse material. They put me in mind of fireworks material.
They burn very hot. Hotter then the fire on the tip...
Published 16 months ago by Daniel Lingner

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely water...and fire proof
These matches are both impervious to water and any attempt to ignite them. I bought these as an emergency fire solution to keep permanently in my mountaineering pack.

Published 19 months ago by Michael LeGuy

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought these same matches., July 30, 2013
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
They burn very hot. Hotter then the fire on the tip of a regular match it seems.
I think that is why they would work in damp conditions. I would also keep a ziploc full of
cotton balls coated with Vaseline / petroleum Jelly in my survival gear. They lite quick
with match / lighter or ferro rod and will burn in the rain for more then a few minutes.
That aspect will be exceedingly helpful in lighting damp tinder.
Also start collecting dryer lint. It lights super easy with a ferro rod. I also have added
a magnifying glass to my bag as it is quite easy to make a fire if it is sunny with a magnifying glass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Stormproof Matches - Bet Your Life On It!, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
I've tried many brands of "survival matches" in the past, including this brand, which strangely seems to have no name, just a sales pitch, "Fantastic Wind & Waterproof Survival Matches..."

It's fine with me if they don't have or use a fancy brand name, because these matches are the BEST you can have when you need to light a match in stormy or rainy conditions. They have about the same burn time as most other matches, but they seem (to me) sturdier, with maybe a stronger base.

The thing to be careful about with these (and all other) "survival matches" is that they are not as easy to strike as regular matches. The coating that makes them stormproof has to be worn away a little at the tip, before you get to the chemical that actually burns. If you don't realize this you will waste matches in a situation where you really need to light a fire! Scrape off a little (and I mean just a little) of the wax coating on the tip or slightly to the side of the match, and then be sure to use that exposed portion when you strike.

The matches will work well in just about any condition. As I said above, I have tried many different brands, and these seem to be the best, in my opinion. They burn like a regular match once they are going, and you can light small its of sticks or anything that catches fire easily -- dead grass, twigs, paper, cloth ... And then, once your tender is going, quickly shield the small fire with your hand while adding slightly larger pieces of wood or whatever. Don't try to light a log with any stormproof match. They are not designed to be a torch or ultra-hot flame source. I realize that in a survival type scenario you'll be a little anxious, but take your time, yet be quick. If that sounds like a contradiction, let me suggest you try to light a fire BEFORE you're in a survival situation, so you'll have some experience with how to do it properly.

Bottom line: of all the stormproof matches available (and there are many), this is, in my experience, the best. I'm buying them from Amazon because the price is good, and I do most of my online shopping right here. Of course, I am not compensated in any way, nor am I a representative or employee of the manufacturer. Be safe in the woods!

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely water...and fire proof, April 14, 2013
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items

Before heading out, I tried to light them at home. The abrasive strip on the outside of the pack is little more than a piece of black construction paper. I could not get a match lit on it no matter what I did. This included carefully removing the wax from the tips of the sticks to get down to the combustible material.

I WAS able to get them to light with a torch lighter...but that kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm guessing that there are many different suppliers of these. Mine did not come from Amazon directly, but rather a 3rd party seller. I think you'll be playing roulette if you decide to order them. Also note that only one of the positive ratings on this item actually mentioned trying to use the matches.

I'm going to stick with a magnesium starter for now on as my back-up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, April 9, 2014
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
Poor construction. Matches sticks have no strength and break easy. The coating runs down too far on the stick so that if it is held after lighting your fingers are in danger. They smell noxious when burning. Arrived direct from China via international mail. Find a better source. It does not seem that the case could be water tight and the striker is flimsey. JUNK!

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for!, April 13, 2014
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
So, the price was right and I wanted to give these a try. Here's what I found: Very cheap product. Case is not waterproof. Striker is ineffective. Matches burn too rapidly (less than 15 seconds) to use effectively. Don't bet on these in a survival situation. I'm not sure I would even depend on these to light my BBQ grill effectively.

This products ships from China and arrives via US Mail. I can't say for sure, but I think the seller may be skirting export laws by classifying waterproof matches as electronics from customs perspective. Seemed strange to me. Product did arrive within specified time frame. However, this was almost two weeks after ordering. I guess Prime 2 day shipping has spoiled me.

You get what you pay for. I won't order this product from this vendor again.

It would be nice to return these but given the cost it's not worth the hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for bug-out and camping, December 4, 2013
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
I bought 2 packs of these, cost was good and they burn very hot. They due require to be scrapped in order for them to light but this allows them to be storm and water proof.

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived almost destroyed..., March 27, 2014
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
...and it's really not worth my time/effort to even try to return these. These were terribly packaged with no cushioning whatsoever -- and surprise surprise, they arrive dented to all hell -- including one of the canisters losing most of it's strike strip to denting.

So...pretty much useless thanks to crappy packaging.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont waste your money...., March 21, 2014
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
The strikers fell off both so called water tight containers...in just opening of the envelope they were shipped n! Caps were loose... just a total mess...not worth the effort to save, I threw them away!

3.0 out of 5 stars nice for the price, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
Not a waterproof container but nice for the price. May want to add and extra striker to the inside. Matches start well just use your fingernail to scrape off some of the wax before lighting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have rated it 5* if the bottle was designed better., August 8, 2014
tinab (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viskey Outdoor Items
I tested the matches as soon as they arrived. At the suggestion of another post, I lightly scraped the match with my thumbnail, and it lit on the first strike. My only complaint with the order is the container itself. I didn't notice in the picture the lid is not "screwed" on to the bottle, it is simply pushed on. It slides on easily, but it also slides off easily. I'm going to have to rig something to keep the lid on the bottle, otherwise my BOB will have matches scattered about.