4.0 out of 5 stars More fun than I would have guessed.
I love the Warhammer universe and I am always leery of third party treatments, BUT Fantasy Fight Games has out done themselves with this game. All of the little details from the characters to events, have found their way into this game.

Published on February 6, 2010 by Richard Hickman

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't hold my interest
The rules are simple (especially for MtG veterans), but the gameplay felt lackluster. I only played the core set, so my experiences are limited, but the issues felt somewhat intrinsic to the base mechanics. As a deckbuilding-oriented game, I'm sure deckbuilding with the expansions ameliorates this problem, but I didn't find the core set interesting enough to spend more...
Published 18 months ago by cogito ergo soup

4.0 out of 5 stars More fun than I would have guessed., February 6, 2010
Richard Hickman (Bremerton, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)

The game play itself is fun and easy to learn, and very difficult to master, but that is part of what makes this game great. The game breaks down into a siege battle between two opposing forces, each having a city to defend while building a force to sack the enemy, the twist is the drastically different playable races. No two races play the same, in fact the differences are so drastic it can be difficult to move from one to another without doing a little preemptive card reading.

The core game is all that is needed to play, unlike collectible card games which rely on spending absence amounts of money to secure the one ultra-rare card. By taking the focus off the collecting aspect, and providing all the card up front, the game becomes a study in strategy and is far more rewarding. There are expansions released regularly that add more card options and races, which to base one's deck on, and again adding more depth of play.

The other boon for a game like this, is the price, the core game is $40, while the expansions are only $10, continually making the game fresh and increasing playability. If you're looking for a new card game that provides a rich fantasy world to in which to play, and don't want to spend copious amounts of money on booster boxes, this is a fine choice and well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty enjoyable game!, July 14, 2011
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
Overall, a pretty enjoyable game. I'll break this review up into parts.

First and foremost, Gameplay:
Very fun card game. The mechanics are interesting, and I enjoy how it's all about the choices you make during the game, rather than the cool cards you collect and the sweet deck that you build before the game (though you could potentially make it about the sweet deck you build). You choose how you want to apply each card's powers (whether you value it as a fighter, or you need more resources, or you need more cards) and you can get rid of junk cards by playing them as developments. So I like how it's built in that you can easily improve your hand over the course of a few rounds. One of the decks can be completely overpowering in the combat zone (*cough*humans*cough*), but I haven't played it enough times to see if there's a proper counter-strategy. Also, because I haven't had the chance to play too often, I haven't really thought about getting any of the expansions...if this game becomes a staple, then I would buy them.
I'm fine with the length of each game, but it's a little long for a couple of my friends. Maybe 45 minutes to an hour? They especially get bored when it becomes hopeless for them (which is the case when fighting the human deck. The humans use a counter-strike and a redirect damage feature, which pretty much scares away any offenders...but the user of the deck may not yet have the means to overrun the opponents, so it's just a waiting game for a while.)

Multiplayer?
On the front of the box, it says "For 2 players." On the back of the box, it says 2-4. The instructions, though, are only for 2 players. They obviously were toying with the idea of making it multiplayer (many cards say "All opponents" or stuff like that...and these cards become somewhat underpowered in 2 player games), but I guess they pulled the idea at the last second. It's been a long time now and everyone's been hoping they release multiplayer rules, but no such luck yet. Attack left/defend right and free-for-all aren't really satisfying solutions. Mostly because the games last longer, so it gives a losing player that much more time to absurdly fortify their non-burning zones before you can knock them out. Also, it's difficult to judge who was the best player that should win and who was the conniving player that scooped up the last 1 point of damage on a dying player. Poke around some forums, though. There are many people out there trying home-brew rules.
I heard of an interesting variation for 4 players (and only 4 players):
Each player has three zones, right? So you sit in a circle, and you can only attack the combat zone of the person across from you, the kingdom of the person to your right, and the quest zone of the person to your left. And when you achieve all three of those burning, you win. Seemed interesting, but I didn't get a chance to play that way yet.

Educational value: None, really. I guess you learn about strategy, but just in a general sense. No strategy here would ever apply to the real world.

Packaging: In classic Fantasy Flight LCG fashion, there is an absurd amount of extra space in the box. The box could be 20% as large. But I guess then you wouldn't have the nice big art on the front.

Components: Damage counters and burning counters are cardboard punch outs. Nice. I wish they could spend an extra 2 cents and give you enough counters to play with 4 people, though, since they came so close to implementing it. I just use extra scraps of paper--but if the AC comes on overhead, make sure you keep track of your damage!

Cards: Nice cards. Beautiful art, very easy to read.

Instructions: Nice and thorough. Easy to understand. It's a little dense, though, so it's difficult to spot check rules.

Overall: Don't get me wrong. I gave it 4/5 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's not the best card game I could imagine playing. I take the whole 5/5 thing rather literally. If a game comes by and blows my mind, and I rate both this and that 5/5, then how would we ever know the difference?! I recommend this game and would gladly play if a friend suggested it on any given night.

But don't take...my word for it! (Or do, whatever)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Game of the Genre., December 22, 2010
Mark T. Paul (CHICOPEE, MA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
When Collectable Card Games (CCG) were in their heyday, I bought numerous booster packs and tried to create a super deck. As much as I liked these game, I found they were money pits and difficult to teach. Fantasy Flight Games converted two CCG's to the Living Card Game format. Here the "Core Set" has everything you need for two or more people to play dozens of games. Instead of booster packs, they sell expansion "Battle Decks" which you have cards to evenly expand the decks. This gives additional variety to the game while being much kinder to your wallet.

This game is based in the Warhammer Universe, it is an aggressive slugfest in which you have resource, quest and battlefield sections of your Kingdom. Nail biting decisions, tension and great artwork make this one of the best games of this genre. The rules come in a large clearly written rulebook. There are also excellent instructional videos on the web. Fantasy Flight has an excellent web page and a forum dedicated to the game.

The combinational of simplicity and depth make this a must by if you want to get into are return to the genre without throwing money at millions of booster packs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative to CCGs (WoW, MTG, etc), January 1, 2011
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
This game is a wonderful alternative to CCGs. It is definitely geared towards CCG (WoW, MTG, etc) players who are sick of the money sink those games can become. It also has more interesting attack and resource building mechanics than MTG (no mana screw). The core set is 4 complete decks that are very playable and fairly balanced right out of the box. If you want to make adjustments to the included decks, you can buy additional battlepacks or the larger expansions. I own 1 copy of most of the battlepacks, the core set, and both expansions. With that, I've been able to make 9 decks that are all very evenly matched.
There are no included rules for more than 2 players, but its pretty easy to find player-made rules online, or just make your own. My friends and I very commonly play a "2-Headed Monster" variant with 2 teams of 2. We've even played 3 on 3, though the game is definitely best for 2 players. Once you are familiar with the rules, a 2 player game only takes about 30 minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars LCG City Battles in the Warhammer Universe, October 23, 2011
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
In this Living Card Game, two players battle it out to destroy their opponent's city. Bringing the Warhammer universe to the card game environment is part of the effectiveness of the game. Races, heroes, units and their styles of combat come alive in the beautifully designed cards. You really get to enjoy the four armies featured in this set, and the art work really adds to the feeling of the game. The armies are spectacularly different ... in the early games I kept getting surprised by the unique capabilities of the armies. The contest to bring down the opponent's city (or castle or citadel if you prefer) is one of heroic proportions, as the battling forces never give up the fight despite the crumbling walls and flames burning around them. The warring sides hurl themselves at each other, all the while the war machine is churning out the capacity to launch attacks and to build up defences.

I purchased this game to play with my 11 year old son. We are both Warhammer fans, having collected, painted and my son has played Warhammer fantasy battles with some help at our local Games Workshop game centre. We have experimented with Warhammer Online as well as an extension to our enjoyment of the Warhammer universe. I have no experience at all with other card games such as Magic, and I generally prefer games with simple rules (I haven't entirely come to grips with the Warhammer FB rules yet!).

My experience with this game is that while the game system is simple enough, the interpretation of the rules, with updates and FAQs available online, mean that its complex to resolve some of the ambiguity of the rules. With just the addition of a few words, the card rules could have been made clearer. Printing out copies of the updated rules made me a bit frustrated, I'd rather use the rules included in the box set than my print outs from internet downloads. Help and rules clarifications on the Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) web site forum was quick and helpful. As we played each game, we'd come across rule decisions that we'd need to make. In some cases while we paused games over a few days I received rules clarifications from the FFG forum which were then applied in the current game. In some cases, assumptions we'd made were wrong and we'd have to decide if we could retrospectively apply the rules, change them mid-game, or ignore the discrepancy until the next game. Having experience with the card set helps to understand the rules, because where there are cards which are slightly different effects, the clarity about each effect only comes after trying both cards.

We didn't find the game had finished in half an hour in our first game, and as we actually stopped mid game and resumed some days later, I can't be sure exactly how long it took. Its not easy to "pause" or "save" the game status and resume it later. The layout of the cards on the table takes up some space. The arrival of the cat onto the table, or a sudden gust of wind can have an impact on the game. It was hard to remember the stage of the game we were up to when we returned, and which piles of cards meant what! We included my 7 year old son in the games by having him take on the role of banker, handing out tokens and cards.

Overall, this game is a brutal fight to the death, with all the power and glory of a Warhammer battle. One of the two opponents will finally be brought to their knees by fair or foul means. Enjoy the high drama of the conflict and experience the engaging world of Warhammer fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun & Enjoyable Game, July 26, 2011
Paul Maleski (Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
Warhammer Invasion is a fast paced game with lots of strategy. In the Core set you get 4 races and each one has a unique feel to play and they are well balanced. Playing against friends and family I have won with every race. Well, I actually have won every game [dozens+], but that only proves my point even further. It takes strategy to with each faction and understanding the strengths of each faction. For my 13yr old son, it is (slowly) teaching him patience and how to plan ahead. Empire is all about tactics, while the Orcs are about overwhelming your opponent with force, but even Orcs need to be played with some finesse.
Yet, it is still a game that a beginner can pick up and begin playing within minutes. Easy to learn hard to master. One of those great combinations that we all strive to find in a game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the "Living Card Games", March 15, 2012
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
If you like tactical card games, this is for you.

The game is set in Game Workshop's Warhammer fantasy world with four factions in the base box:Empire, Dwarves, Chaos, Orks. There are two other factions that can be added with the "Assault on Ulthuan" expansion:High Elves and Dark Elves. Eatch player has a board called the Capital that has 3 areas; to win, you must "burn"(destroy) two of those areas. Eatch faction has their own method of play, so there are all kinds of tactics-Orks, for example, work best with swarm and attack tactics while Dwarves have high Toughness and hit hard with fewer units.

The nicest thing about this game is the "Living Card Game" design. Unlike the "Collectable Card Game" format, all cards can be acquired easily. You will not have to dig around and spend big money to get those Rare Cards, espc. those that are out of print from expansions that are long gone. At any time, you can simply buy any of the 3 big expansions or one of the many Battle Packs to add cards to your set. If you like a certin faction, some Battle Packs focus on a faction more than others, so you can find the ones you want. Or if you just like playing with the base set, that is fun too! Using just the base set, I taught someone to play and he was competitive on his first game. Although, I assure you WILL want to get more cards,as every addition adds depth to the game, so you can take the game as far as you wish. I do suggest that you pick up the forementioned "Assault on Ulthuan" with the base set or right after to add the Elf factions so you have all six.

While not perfect, this is prehaps the most fun card game of the CCG/LCG type games I have ever played, Hands down!

Warning to those with younger children:The Chaos cards have some very repulsive, vile art on them, and the Dark Elf cards have some art that could be considered slightly "Rique". If you do let your younger kids play the game, you might want to keep the Chaos cards out of their sight and use your judgement on the Dark Elf cards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great card game with some slight balance issues., December 12, 2011
T. S. Rockwell (Prison City, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
I purchased this game with the Legends and Assualt on Ulthuan expansions. I believe getting them along with the base set was the best way to get into this game, as Assault on Ulthuan gives you full access to all the different factions and Legends balances them out somewhat. That being said, the base set is a very complete game in itself, though the factions of Empire and Chaos are a bit weak without the expansions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
Very good card game for 2 players. It is really fun and easy to play than your thought. It is a living card game as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but limited player pool, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Warhammer Invasion Core Set (Toy)
I have the core set, a major expansion and some minor expansions. The game is good and I (as an old baby boomer)enjoyed playing the game. It is certainly an excellent representation of the Warhammer universe, but the game is ofter played by the younger set with different gaming values than mine. (some Trash talking, rules lawyers, etc. can be issues).

The cost can be prohibitive if you keep buying expansions. The game play itself is fairly simple and that can be a plus. Anytime you must refer to a rule book every move, it does get tedious. You best be a fantasy/SF fan to enjoy the game. It is not for the whole family.

If you can find a good opponent, you enjoy the genre, then you will like the game. I have not had a lot of luck online as of yet in finding opponents, but then, I still work for a living. If you belong to a gaming group, I would recommend you try it out first. You can also find a ton of information from the manufacturer's site as well. Not really great for solitare play.

Warhammer Invasion Core Set