5.0 out of 5 stars Good App
I've always had success with opening sequences but I've only really ever known a few closing moves. This is a great app for me to practice closing games out and not squandering chances. I would recommend this app to anyone who likes chess but still needs a little polishing up. Great form of mental exercise too!
Published on January 11, 2013 by ConcernedGamer

Published on January 12, 2013 by Josh Fisher

1.0 out of 5 stars Besides the other problems, very irritating that only one solution is "correct", January 12, 2013
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
Besides requiring Abobe Air, and the other problems people have pointed out, the thing I found most irritating is that there are often several solutions but only one is accepted. What's the point of that? Lazy programming? For example (I'll avoid really transparent spoilers), in Mate in Two, game 5, there are two choices for the same piece in the second move. Each of them is checkmate. But when you mate with the move the author didn't expect, you get "Sorry, try again." Huh? It's Mate, mate, what are you thinking? Is this a lottery and I picked the wrong number?

Even more annoying is Mate in Two, game 6. There are 8 equivalent variants of the "correct" first move. All 8 work fine, and accomplish the same thing, but only 1 is "correct". So it's trial and error until you stumble on the "correct" one (or you can have it show you the solution). Really. Worse yet, there's a much more satisfying (at least I thought so) solution that takes an entirely different direction, but "Sorry, try again."

I quit after game 6, and uninstalled (along with the Abode Air). Really, people have said this is good for beginners. I fail to see how.

1.0 out of 5 stars Better chess puzzle games out there, January 12, 2013
Keith "Keith" (Laguna Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
First thing after you have already downloaded and installed this, it then asks if you want to install Adobe Air. Yet another thing that will keep running in the background, and makes this program much bigger then it needs to be.

This only has mate in one or two moves. I assume you want to do them for fun and to become better at chess. Then why not get an app that is designed to improve your chess game, and has puzzles, and has many more puzzles and has many more difficulty levels. In fact you can find them in the Google play store by searching for chess puzzles or chess logic. Oh, and they are free.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very challenging and flawed., January 12, 2013
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
The checkmate in one move mode is too easy. The checkmate in two moves is more challenging but has several flawed solutions. I would be very disappointed if I had paid to this app.

1.0 out of 5 stars author should learn to play chess, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
Several of the mate in one solutions are just plain wrong. I did not go any further, as the author apparently does not know how to play chess, or does and is just sloppy.

2.0 out of 5 stars fail of a app, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
although this app shows few glitches it has far to many impossible game scenarios the biggest being check in one number 55 it is impossible for that scenario to exist in a game of chess and further more there are far too many problems trying to deselect prices or other possible checkmates that the game will not accept. this would seem fun to some but I am an advanced chess player and cannot stand this app.

1.0 out of 5 stars requires adobe air, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
Was going to give it a try for free app of the day but requires adobe air which is a huge file on my 16gb android. Not worth the storage cost . I deleted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Better alternatives out there!, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
I downloaded this app just to see if it is any better than most other chess app or games that is out there but I am sorry to say it is not worth the money. Besides needing Adobe Air and program running the background makes this a resource hog and not worth the hassle. I would have kept this Chess puzzle if the game-play would have been better but it fails in that area also.

For free you can download Chess Free why pay $1.99 for this?

3.0 out of 5 stars My S-III wont always, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
Recognize the amazon appstore so I could not get this on Saturday WHEN IT WAS FREE. I meant to download it from my home computer but forgot. D@%* I don't know why it keeps saying to download the appstore when I already have it.

2.0 out of 5 stars flaws outweigh benefits, January 12, 2013
This review is from: Chess Puzzles (App)
Aside from the problems already addressed with the Adobe AIR requirement, and having multiple possible solutions at times, there are some such as the mate-in-one level 60 where the solution provide is incorrect. Selecting the play button showed me the "correct" solution, but black has a way out from that position by moving to the next column away from the queen.

The other thing I don't like is that there is no way to report the issues directly to support. In the app they provide an email address to send to, and they require full internet connection, but the email address has to be written down and sent manually from your email client. You can't even copy and paste it.

The developer should provide an underlying chess engine to confirm his conditions are met rather than hard coding the solution he thinks is right. There are free engines available. Just too many things that need improving here.

This could be a really good app if the dev tried for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good App, January 11, 2013