4.0 out of 5 stars Five years old and going strong.
Published on July 17, 2005 by Steve Cabito

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't give it a ZERO
This was the biggest waste of money

The circuit board that controlled the brush died along with the useless lights in the first year. $50 to replace.

Did they offer warranty replacement - NOPE. Fantom - "No longer supported this model" So I did it myself

If the dust bin is sparkling clean it has good suction, if not

use a...
Published on September 8, 2005 by Mark A. Jobe

4.0 out of 5 stars Five years old and going strong., July 17, 2005
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
Just a few words in defense of the Fantom Cyclone XT: I bought mine at Target 4-5 years ago and it's always worked well. It has a few minor quirks which some seem to think make it worthless: The lights don't last long, but they're cheap and easily replaced, and to those who experience shutdown, mine did that for the first time recently. I popped out the small prefilter on the canister top and couldn't see through it, so I ran it under the faucet to rinse out the dust, tapped the water out, and after it cooled down, the vacuum worked like new. Not a big deal. It really is a good vacuum.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't give it a ZERO, September 8, 2005
This was the biggest waste of money

If the dust bin is sparkling clean it has good suction, if not

use a broom. I will say that the handle/wand is a great idea but with no suction, no pickup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, October 17, 2003
Greenie (Boulder, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
If you have thick carpets and/or pets -- especially cats -- this vacuum is a wonder for getting things up quickly. The powered scrubbing brush works quite well, and you just can't beat bagless convenience. I've used this vacuum extensively for 3 years and have NEVER had a problem with clogging, parts breaking, or other operation -- one of the headlamp bulbs burned out after 2.5 years, that's it. Of course, I'm not trying to vacuum up hunks of metal or plastic. Ask any vacuum service center, they'll tell you that's the cause of 90% of their repairs.
Only three minor downsides to this vacuum that I can see: the bagless chamber is easy to remove and empty out, but there's a small inner dust chamber that takes some shaking/banging to properly clear out -- there's also no way to easily access this area if you want to clean it with soap & water, the way you can with the main chamber. I'd also prefer if the hose for accessory use were just a bit longer, and if the vacuum came packaged with a better upholstery attachment.
Get this vacuum and you won't be the least bit disappointed. That is, unless you try to use it like you would a Shop Vac.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works great!, August 14, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
The Fantom vacuum does everything it said it would. The handle is very easy to detach and use for dusting, the vacuum does a great job on both carpets and hard wood floors. My only complaint is that the hose is a little on the short side, although you can buy an extension hose (I haven't, so I have to move the vacuum more frequently). I have used the vacuum almost daily for four years, and have yet to encounter a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars worked well for a while, December 9, 2003
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
This vacuum had wonderful suction at first, but only lasted one year. Now I can only vacuum one room, and then it loses its power because it's overheating. It then starts spitting everything back out. It doesn't pick up anything of any size, such as small playground pebbles. This was a waste of money - I've bought a new vacuum and will just keep this one for the basement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, naughty circuit board, November 13, 2007
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
It worked great for years until the brush would power on and off. I was ready to buy a new one until I found another guy talking about the fix. You basically reset the circuit board because it craps out when you play with the brush (terrible idea). This fix worked great for me and hopefully it helps someone else:
<Fantom Support>
It could be the circuit board in the powerhead that controls the motor that turns the roller brush. If the circuit board has been tripped, this is one of the things that happens. How this happens is usually by pulling debris or manually turning the roller brush. To get into the powerhead area to reset the circuit board, follow these steps:

Remove lightbulb covers..
Remove lightbulbs...
Remove the screws beside each lightbulb socket...
Gently lift cover...
Locate circuit board...

no wonder I couldn't find the screws!

There is a "tower" on the board that has a little "arm". Push that in so that it clicks the button on the tower. That resets the circuit board. Make sure that all connectors are connected everywhere else in the powerhead area.

Put vacuum back together. Vacuum should restart and beater should work. If doesn't, then you need to order a new circuit board.

Please note: If there is debris on the roller brush, remove the debris by cutting it out and not pulling or turn the roller brush.
<Fantom Support>

3.0 out of 5 stars A vacuum cleaner that you need to to vacuum to clean, May 30, 2008
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
My title may sound confusing, but it explains what you need to do to have the Fantom Cyclone XT work properly. When the bagless container is clean, this vacuum will pick up dirt and pet hair like no other vacuum cleaner I have ever seen. Once you have collected all that dirt, the trouble begins. The canister is easy to remove and dump in a waste can as clouds of dust fly in the air. The top portion of the canister will have air inlets that are clogged with dirt that will need to be cleaned. The easiest way to do that is to vacuum it, but then you need another vacuum cleaner to vacuum the Cyclone! Yes, that is a waste of time. My Cyclone has worked dependably for many years but when it dies, there will be no funeral in my house. I will miss its ability to pick up dirt that other cleaners left behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantom Cyclones are Great!, September 20, 2007
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
I bought my Fantom Cyclone 5 years ago and I still love it. It's the best vacuum I've ever owned. I just had to replace the powercord, but otherwise it's as strong as it was the day I got it. I have two dogs and it picks up every bit of the hair. I have to change the filter 2 times per year, but it's worth it. Most people don't realize you have to change the hepa filter more often if you have pet hair. The suction is greater with a clean hepa filter.

3.0 out of 5 stars If I had done my home work, I would have bought another brand., November 22, 2013
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
I've had a Fantom Vacuum for 10 years. Good vacuum with few faults.

1. Vacuum over heats too easy. I can not finish one room without it over heating. I have to wait 1/2 an hour before I can use it again.

2. Cleaning the collection tube is a messy proposition if you want it really clean. This includes cleaning the Heppa filter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pricey for what it does...., January 2, 2002
This review is from: Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner (Kitchen)
Well, I bought this vacuum when it was still new on the market, and it was very pricey at about $300. It definately wasn't worth it, and probably won't buy another one. The vacuum fills too fast, clogs too easily, and isn't too sturdy. As a matter of fact, I'm now searching for a new and more sturdy vacuum. Yesterday, the electrical cord came out of the vacuum itself. If you are looking for a really good vacuum, this really isn't the way you want to go. It's very highly over rated. It does pick up a lot off of the floor, but it's really not worth the money if you want something that will last.

Fantom Cyclone XT XT450K Upright Vacuum Cleaner