5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the poor reviews!
I am amazed at the poor reviews this vacuum has received. I have been a Fantom user since the Fury days and have loved every machine since. The suction on this machine ROCKS (at least on mine) and is evident by the continual amount of stuff this thing picks up even after I continue to go over the same spots.
The reviewer that indicates the filter inside the...
Published on July 20, 2003 by D. Couse

2.0 out of 5 stars Gail
Published on December 2, 2002 by Gail

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the poor reviews!, July 20, 2003
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
The reviewer that indicates the filter inside the canister is a joke and they can't get their fingers between the canister and filter obviously DID NOT READ THE DIRECTIONS. If they had, they would realize that with one simple push of a button the filter slides out. Thus allowing for both of your hands to slide in the canister if you choose. The same reviewer also talks about the filter in the canister indicating that after a couple of hours it becomes clogged with fine particles. If the reviewer had READ THE DIRECTIONS, they would have realized this is what it called a washable pre-filter. That's right folks, washable. Just push that one button and the filter slides out for easly cleaning and washing. The machine actually comes with 2 washable pre-filters.
The wand is FANTASTIC with this model and I am truely impressed with the overall design. Yes it is a heavy vacuum, but it glides over the carpet with ease.
All in all, this vacuum was a great purchase for me and I'm glad someone has taken up the Fantom name and has done it justice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ask the owner of double-coated dogs about vacuum cleaners, January 7, 2004
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
I have two double-coated dogs, a Newfoundland and a Sheltie. They shed. A lot. The Newf is a wonderful pet, but not a dog for the houseproud. And a 140 pound dog has a lot of fur.

But this is the first vacuum cleaner that keeps up with the shedding and really gets the sand and grit out of my rugs and carpets.

The on-board tools are wonderful. They store easily, and pushing a single button in the handle provides the access to them. (I'm embarrassed that I didn't figure it out for myself. I'd misplaced the manual, and finally found the pdf file on the Amazon website. What a convenience that is!)

The filter cleans out easily with the twist of a dial. Since I'm lefthanded, it is a little awkward, but a righty would have no problem. My hands stay clean. And I'm not forced to keep a supply of vacuum cleaner bags -- one less thing to keep in inventory, one less cost.

I've bought a second Fantom so that I don't need to carry it up and down the stairs more than is necessary to get the dog hair out of the step corners. I figure there is a puppy's worth a week.

The handle on the top of the filter unit is very convenient for carrying the machine around.

The cord is nice and long, so I'm not stopping to plug it in over and over. I wish that its wrapped position was a little more secure.

The only negative I can think of is that I occasionally find myself bumping the on-off button inadvertently.

Postlogue: HOWEVER: A wheel fell off my Fantom, and I have been unable to find anyone who has the unique tool required to access the chamber in which a screw must be tightened. Very frustrating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gail, December 2, 2002
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
Just invested in a Fantom Twister after using a bag upright for years. Looked at the Hoovers and decided on the Twister because it felt good in the store and the hose wand is a nice feature. I just vacummed the family room, the belt broke and the lightbulb burnt out after about 15 minutes of use and only one room of many to vacuum. I suspect that the company knows about the belt because they include an extra in the box. The lightbulb is a different story. The light is bright when it glows. The nap of the carpet I successfully vacuumed before the belt broke and the light blew looks very nice. It appears to have power to deep clean but the durability leaves much to be desired. As I mentioned I thought this would be an investment but I see that I need to reconsider and rethink the Hoovers even if it costs a little more. I only did light vacuuming, imagine the Twister if I were to do more heavy cleaning with it. I do not recommend this machine unless the manufacturer can make it more durable or provide belts like tissues to pop on for each use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Vacuum I've ever had!!!, September 7, 2003
bcoverss "bcoverss" (Winter Haven, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
Having owned several Bissells, Central Vacs, Dirt Devils, Electrolux, Eureka, Filter Queen, General Electric, Hoover, and Kenmore I thought I'd give this unknown brand a try. I did some research on th brand before I bought it. Turns out Fantom has a licence to copy and build the european vacuum know as the Dyson. Dyson was who first came out with the bagless design and has been refining it for over a decade while other vacumm companies are just now trying to copy the design. Ture the Fantom is a copy but you'll pay 4 to 5 times as much for a Dyson in the US if you can find one. Don't waist your money, this is a clone, and just as good. This is hands down the best vacuum you'll ever own, and you'll never want to use anyother. It will pull up dirt others leave behind. Vacuum with any other brand, then go over it with the Fantom and you'll still get up dirt and things left by the other. Now you'll see some bad reviews here on this great vacuum, the bottom line is that if those people would have taken the time to read the owners manual that they did to write reviews they would have had no problems. Either that or they work for another vacuum company. I recomend opting for the extra turbo tool attachement also. It's very very powerfull and works great on stairs and vacuuming out your car. This is a leap above others, read the manual before you use. You'll be gad you got it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please Listen to Everyone's Warning!, December 9, 2005
Tara (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
I WISH I had read the reviews for this vacuum! Everyone is ABSOLUTELY correct when they say that the power cuts out on this vacuum!

Also, yes, it DOES have terrific suction... at first! After owning my fantom for a few months I noticed that as soon as the canister was filled a 1/4 of the way I lost all suction on my attachments. This is so frustrating since I have two cats that shed like crazy... and stairs. Cleaning the stairs was an excercise in patience.

Finally, the power just started shutting on and off. Since I hadn't read these reviews I blamed my roommate and we got into a big fight.

Thanks fantom.

Just as I was about to take the thing to be fixed the wheel fell off. Nice.

A full list of complaints?

Crappy suction that worsens over time.

HATE the way the canister empties. It's some stupid twist crank thing that spits cat hair all over my floor.

Faulty electric connection that apparently is VERY common.

The tool clamps are SO flimsy! My tools always fell off. Always. Very frustrating.

After six months the vacuum started making this really weird loud rattling sound. I have heard others complain about this in their reviews... and yes. I DID also blame the roomie for this one too.

For all of you, that like me, believe that I had these problems due to my own vacuuming habits, such as dropping the vacuum and running things over, all I have to say is NO. The vacuum I had right before this one has attachments that ALWAYS stay in place, and I owned it for 13 years. In fact, it's still running. I gave it to my friend who needed one, and let me say, BOY was that a mistake! I wish I still had that vacuum!

Please, do yourself a $200 favor and buy another vacuum.

1.0 out of 5 stars Money Down the Drain, January 4, 2006
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
After owning a cheap and inexpensive vacuum cleaner, three years ago I decided to make an investment and purchase the Phantom after seeing the exceptional demonstrations on television. Thinking I would get at least ten years out of this product, I was sadly mistaken when I attempted to use it and it wouldn't cut on a few days ago. A couple of times it cut on, but immediately cut right back off. I wasn't worried at first because I really loved this product. The clean up was great and the versatlity of the hose makes this vaccum stand alone, but as soon as I took it into the repair shop the representative immediately knew there was nothing he could do. Why? Because there were other Phantoms in the back (the Phantom graveyard)also burnt out and unrepairable. The reason is becuase the cord contains some piece that is not available and the only option is to pay and send it back to Euro-pro which would be unreasonable when you might as well by a knew one. This is just a warning to people who consider purchasing any type of Euro-Pro product. Don't do it unless you have money to ship it to them and you don't mind wasting money. The reason I trusted the repairman was because I had read the other reviews, and recently I saw another review on a euro pro product which stated the same information about the unavailabily of replacement parts it was just a different item. Point blank....Euro- Pro products are crappy and there's no way to way I would buy another item from them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Fantom Thunder, September 29, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
I just got this vacuum after my fantom thunder vacuum died after five years. This vacuum seems to be fine, but doesn't seem as powerful as the old thunder was. This one has a different way of emptying the canister so you have to push a button for the bottom of the canister to open and let the dirt out then you have to turn a knob, to turn the filter and allow the dirt and hair to be turned out. Kind of a pain really. Not a bad vacuum, but I think I just expected more after having the fantom thunder work so well for me. I guess I'm still trying to decide if I made the right decision.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst produt in the History of Consumer Services, November 18, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
Never buy a fantom. They no longer own their company. It is now owned by EuroPro and they have the worst customer service ever. If your vacuum breaks due to no fault of your own the warranty will not give you a refund. It forces you to pay $20 to ship there and $20 to ship back with a so-called repaired faulty product or a new faulty product. This will take 4-6 weeks at which time you are without a vacuum. The ridiculous HEPA filters burnout fast and can only be purchased through EuroPro in a pack of three that will cost you about $40. Oh, and you have to clean all the filters except that dumb HEPA one yourself. For $140 don't do it. Go with the names you know like Hoover or Dirt Devil. I am a vacuum connoisseur and the best vacuum that I have ever owned was a Eureka for about $50. The rest is history. No one told me this stuff so please beware! Oh, the vendor selling these horrible vacs will not tell you that Fantom no longer exists. HSN sure did not tell me. I pray that this will find you in time before you too are a victim.

1.0 out of 5 stars A dangerous flaw in the design, August 12, 2004
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
This product has a dangerous flaw in the design. Where the base connects to the upright there is an electrical connection. That connection arcs and causes the unit to cut in and out. Eventually the connection melts and unit will not run. There is a definite fire hazard with this product. Additionally with Fantom's warranty policy you have to ship the unit to them at your cost and include $19.99 for return shipping.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantom Flop, August 13, 2005
This review is from: Fantom FM760 Twister 500DX Upright Vacuum (Kitchen)
I purchased an FM760 in December of 2003. When it arrived, I used it and could not believe the great job it did at vacuuming up all the cat hair (we have 4) I was in love. I used this vacuum for 10 months and then it started shutting off automatically when pulling back on the handle when vacuuming. I contacted Euro-pro and they said ship it back and the will fix it. I paid the $20 there and the $20 back. It took 8 weeks for them to get it back to me and it came back in worse shape than when I sent it to them, but the problem was fixed. (2004)Unfortunately, they never put down what the problem was or what kind of warranty the newly fixed problem had. Here it is 8 months later and am experiencing the same exact problem. (I love this vacuum cleaner, never had one that cleaned so well and with the handle detaching for easy reach to the ceiling, it makes it wonderful)but cannot vacuum with something that the power keeps cutting on and off with. Makes it real frustrating. It could be they just had a bunch of bad parts for that particular model and maybe have fixed them by now.