5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for this "54 BELOW" series!
Published 18 months ago by Steven L.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Love Patti but ...
this isn't her best effort. The power and the "glory" of her voice is not captured. Sounds like one more cabaret singer caught on CD. It might be the recording label not knowing how to seize the thrill of her voice and/or live performance. Perhaps, I would have liked it better if I'd been there and this was serving as a reminder. As a "stand alone" it...
Published 15 months ago by Henderson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for this "54 BELOW" series!, January 15, 2013
Steven L. (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
"Live at 54 BELOW" is a new series of recordings from the new Manhattan cabaret venue located under the former home of the (in)famous Studio 54. Owners Tom Viertel, Marc Routh, Richard Frankel, and Steven Baruch are similarly well-known Broadway producers, so their ability to bring in top-notch talent for their new venture won't be a challenge. A case in point was their bringing in Patti LuPone as the premiere artist for their venue. "Far Away Places" is the title of LuPone's evening that has been thankfully preserved digitally for us to enjoy for years to come.

A veteran of the stage (as well as the screens, both small and large), LuPone, along with longtime collaborator Scott Wittman, have compiled a wonderfully entertaining set of songs about travel and wanderlust, and the Sicilian New Yorker takes us around the world with her renditions of these stories, mixed in with patter both informative and self-mocking (she is even able to throw in a reference to her noted occurrence when she stopped her performance in "Gypsy" to ridicule the cell-phone ringing of a patron).

Comfortably supported by music director Joseph Thalken and a five-piece band, LuPone takes us to visit Kurt Weill ("Bilbao Song," "Ah, the Sea Is Blue," "Pirate Jenny," and "September Song"), Edith Piaf ("Hymn to Love"), Stephen Sondheim ("By The Sea") and Cole Porter ("Come To The Supermarket in Old Peking," from his obscure "Aladdin" record), mixed with lesser known songs from Johnny Mercer and Willie Nelson. The recording quality is good, and LuPone never holds back, vividly portraying the sass and spunk that has earned her legions of fans throughout her forty year career, highlighted by her Tony Awards for both "Evita" and the aforementioned, "Gypsy."

Broadway Records and 54 BELOW have slated releases of many more artists' performances from the new venue, but they have set a very high bar with their initial offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph for Patti!, March 10, 2013
PNG (Philly suburbs, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
While I would have loved to hear this performance live, the recording is a great substitute. You hear her interaction with the audience as well as some terrific stories. So glad I purchased this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Patti, April 6, 2013
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
Patti LuPone can do and sing just about anything and do it brilliantly and this show reinforces how special she is in any setting. As a cabaret performer she is propulsive, charming, dynamic and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars More, Please, February 21, 2013
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
Wish I had seen this performance live. Bought the CD, though, and now get to listen to it whenever I need a lift. Some of these songs I had never heard before, others are evergreens. Ms. LuPone gives each her personal touch -- which means bringing her expansive range, acting skills, and commitment to composers and lyricists into play. Whatever she may have lost in her upper register over the years is more than made up for on the lower notes. My personal favorites on this CD: Bilbao Song and Hymn To Love. As with Lotte Lenya and Edith Piaf, Ms. LuPone's voice and phrasings can be mistaken for no one else's. The repartee between sets is sassy and sophisticated. It is clear she is having as much fun as the audience.

Mike M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patti Lupone you are amazing., July 23, 2013
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
I loved this latest performance by Ms Lupone. I would recommend this cd to any of her fans or to anyone who loves music performed by someone with the talent of a superstar. She always amazes me with that voice. I hope to see her someday in person as the lucky people at fifty four below.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly stellar., March 8, 2013
Gregg Eric McCullough (Shrewsbury, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
Patti LuPone's performance is nothing but her typical best. She's truly one of a kind, which is obvious yet again in her newest CD. A must have for Patti's fans and Broadway's fans. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 26, 2013
Michael W Rowe (Lanett, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
I was totally blown away by this CD. I felt like I was right there attending the concert.
I have every CD Patti has released and this one moved to the top of my list as the best she has released to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars an Adoring Far Away Memory..........., January 22, 2013
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
A few decades ago,Sitting riveted in my seat at the Ahmanson Theater, I'm witnessing a tiny young girl kneeling motionless on an empty bed...her story song takes me to a magical place of love,longing,escape,responsibility and artistic pride....Patti LuPone is creating MEADOWLARK....her VOICE alone is capturing my life...now..it's 1/22/13...her VOICE has taken me to all her FAR AWAY PLACES and I'm Fulfilled again.
Every aspect of this recording is PERFECTION. Thank you for giving us more to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Away Places, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
I love Patti Lupone and buy everything she does. This cd was recorded live so you hear her talking between songs as well. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patti Lupone: Never disappointing!, March 5, 2014
Matthew Stewart (Lafayette, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW (Audio CD)
I saw Patti in person in Carmel, Indiana. The program was the same as this CD. I had to have it after I was knocked out by her live performance. The CD is every bit as enjoyable as the concert was and her humor is awesome. With a voice like that, you can't go wrong. Grab it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW
Far Away Places: Live at 54 BELOW by Patti LuPone (Audio CD - 2013)
Rate and Discover Movies