Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Far Cry 3 [Online Game Code]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Platform: PC Download|Edition: Standard - Steam DRM|Change
Price:$19.99

on November 16, 2013
Bought off Amazon services then uses Game Code thru Steam. Forces the install of UPlay which seems to be Ubisoft's version of web-based game manager used even though Steam is running. It also didn't allow the selection of install location, which is aggravating when it consumes 16-18 GB of your small SSD OS drive.
55 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2013
Bought this game on Steam Winter sale at 25% off, and played it almost daily for about 2 weeks. Amazing experience! This game is pretty lengthy on the campaign side: Took me 23.6 hours to beat the campaign, and already I wanted to play again because it's so absorbing, and no spoilers, but it has two endings. SAVE YOUR GAME BEFORE LAST MISSION! I didn't, so now I have to backtrack from a much earlier auto save to continue and witness first hand the other ending.

This game, especially on the PC is THE new standard in gaming benchmark for DX11. Playing this game at 2560 x 1440 on a single display, and a single GTX 680 on VERY HIGH settings (not Ultra) I get about 40-55 frames. I didn't Fraps benchmark, but casually looked at EVGA Precision X's OSD and noticed in wider area, a solid 50-55, and about 30-40 in denser area with more trees and branches. Absolute power beast and the new game to show off your PC build-- You can finally put away Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 as the standard.

The game play is nothing new, but very effective. You can shoot your way through in MOST cases (some mission require no alerting), or take a stealth like approach by marking your enemies, and picking them off one by one, with a very intricate skill tree system that unlocks Tatau (Not sure the spelling, but it's basically their way of unlocking tattoos) that give you special perks like being able to take down multiple enemies at once form above or below, or drag bodies as you takedown to hide them as to not alert others. This balance of your choice to attack makes the game stay fresh and exciting, with never a dull moment.

Far from a cookie-cutter FPS, this game has an AMAZING script. The plot is pretty generic, yes, but it's the character development your character, Jason Brody, goes through that is really, really intriguing, and is more interactive than watchign a character arc on a show, as you're witnessing it first person... literally. Also great is really an Oscar worthy turn from the villain Vaas (the guy on the cover). The voice work and animation are done to perfection, and his mannerisms are truly intimidating, as you don't know when he will explode. His script is really fun and smart, with many story-type dialog as he chases you, or finds you when you chase him. Absolutely brilliant work from the voice actor, and the Ubisoft team for doing great motion capture to compliment this villain who I would say is the best video game villain I've seen in years.

Oh, wait... did I mention you can literally bulls*** around and just get a crossbow and hunt animals? I probably spent a total 3 hours doing this, as skinning and collecting their skins lets you craft bigger wallets, loot rutsacks or ammo pouches. You can also sell them at stores for money, along with other loot to get more guns, although I recommend activating as many radio towers as you can of a total of 18, as unlocking 1 will make some weapons free in stores, and with all 18 activated over time, you can have all unlocked without even paying for them, minus attachments like laser sight, extended mags or silencers. It's not that fast, as the island is ENORMOUS and dense.

I could continue talking about this game, or you can stop reading and buy it. It's absolutely worth the price of admission, and I am absolutely stoked for either some new DLC or the next installment. This game gets my vote for best game of 2012, hands down.
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2013
OK, as you might guess from my Amazon screen name, I like to play games. I play primarily PC games, and within that genre, I primarily play shooters although I like to mix it up with a good action RPG every so often (Witcher 2, Skyrim). Because I am a bit older than your average gamer, I have played an awful lot of shooters. I played the first Far Cry back in the day and loved it. It was truly open world, with intelligent AI. I salivated at the thought of Far Cry 2, and wept in disappointment because I thought it was just so bad. So, when I read about Far Cry 3 last year, I sort of went "meh." It sounded exactly like the Far Cry I played 10 years ago, and besides, the last one sucked. So I decided against getting it.

Then, I ran out of games and Amazon had a great sale. I picked this up for under $20. I figured it was an acceptable risk in case it was a poor game, or just a rehash of the original. Glad I was wrong in my expectations - this game is really, really good. I thought for sure I would detest the hunting side games, which are necessary to increase the size of your weapon holsters (so you can carry up to 4 weapons), and I thought the game would quickly get tedious. Nope.

The open world nature of this game is truly awe-inspiring. You travel among various islands, killing pirates who have wronged you and your friends. The weapons are great. The environment is even better. Once, I was trying to stealth up behind two enemies walking down a road. Suddenly, a tiger came out of no where and killed them both. There are random acts of awesome things like that every where. I have accidentally fallen off cliffs, landed in deep water, and found new places to explore. I have thrown a molotov cocktail at one enemy, and watched as the ensuing fire engulfed the jungle, huts, and other enemies as it spread. The physics in this game are amazing to watch.

Best weapon? The bow. You can kill with stealth, but the real money shot is an arrow modified to have an explosive tip. A jeep full of enemies coming to kill you? Explosive arrow: it is just something you need to see to fully appreciate. You can drive the jungle roads (realistically I might add) in cars, jeeps, and ATV's. You can hang glide from tall cliffs. If you can see it, you can pretty much travel to it. Although Ubisoft marketed this game as "Skyrim with guns!" the open world really reminded me of the GTA series but in the jungle instead of the city. And, it has a decent story with quality voice acting.

Truth be told, if I had purchased this game when it came out last year for full price, I would have felt I got my money's worth. I am still glad I waited because it was even sweeter to pick it up so cheap. So, if you are a bit jaded in the FPS realm like I am, you might want to give this a try when it is next on sale. (although its current price of around $30 is still a great deal) You might be pleasantly surprised like I was.
on April 7, 2015
This is my introduction to the Far Cry series with the PC download from Amazon. After a problem-free download, I was instantly immersed in the game and spent many hours engaged in the various missions of Jason Brody, our young protagonist who's vacation in Bangkok and the Rook Islands has taken a horrible turn for the worse! A couple of points worth noting--1> you can occupy your time achieving new items crafted or unlocked, or you can just explore the incredible graphic detail of the island and just goof around. 2> The more skills you collect, the bigger the detail of the tattoo on your (Jason's) arm! 3> The save feature can be annoying as you are sometimes forced to go all the way back to the beginning of a tedious adventure if you fail. Overall---Five Stars. I am looking forward to the new Far Cry 4......Stay tuned for more.
on January 28, 2013
Crysis 1 was one of the best FPS ever. Nothing ever since ever came close to it. Farcry 3 is one of few games that can challenge Crysis 1 in terms of both plot and graphics. I used to like Crysis 2 but now Farcry 3 renders Crysis 2 something "forgettable" in comparison.

For a game the story and character development is pretty darn good - one could probably make an feature animate out of it. The twist and turns, especially with how your character evolve from a kidnapped spoiled kid to a jungle warrior to a killing machine, is quite amazing.

In terms of graphics, I've to say this game is as close as you can get to reality in the year of 2013. At sunset the sky is absolutely beautiful. The fluidity and reflections off the water surface, the sun glare, etc is almost unreal. Quite frankly one can probably make a Hollywood jungle warfare animate using this engine, rendering in real time, and it would not be too far off from the very best.

The game is smooth enough at 1920x1200, Ultra setting. I ran it on a I7-2600K (OCed to 4.3GHz) with 16GB CL8 DDR3-1600, and EVGA FTW GTX670 4096MB (graphics core OC'ed to 1.2GHz ). Occasionally the game does slow down a bit but it definitely runs better than Crysis 1 on a 8800GT cica 2008.

Now I am looking forward to a Far Cry 4 much more than any Crysis follow-ons (not that there will be a Crysis 4 anyways). This is coming from someone with a copy of Crysis on a video game altar.
on November 30, 2013
Difficult to install due to poor Uplay and steam integration. None of these instructions are explained by Amazon, Steam, or Ubisoft. Apparently this integration is supposed to work automatically, but google this issue and you'll find tons of posts from people who can't get the game to work. I downloaded and re-installed three times before I found the correct steps. Steam was not auto starting the Uplay software correctly on windows 8.1. The Uplay software is required for the game to start.

I had to go to ubisoft's website separately, download and install the Uplay client, and create a username and password for a ubisoft account. Once Steam has finished downloading the game, It will give you a key that you can enter into the Uplay client. (note that this is different from the Amazon key).
on July 10, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. The story was well written and gripping. It had enough content to keep you entertain until the end. Side missions were fun and didn't feel tacked on.

Sometimes I would spend hours just sneaking around liberating outposts.

If you buy this one make sure you pick up blood dragon.
on January 4, 2014
Far Cry 3 is essentially an acid trip in video game format. It's also one of the best games I have ever played in my life, and having been a gamer for roughly 20 years, that's a statement.

I could sit here and write a 10,000 word explanation on why the game is amazing, but I would rather you spend that time playing the game instead. It's just an epic tale of hallucinogenic drug use, murder, betrayal, death, and wandering around a gorgeous tropical island with fully automatic weaponry while fighting your ever growing insanity, apex predators of the animal kingdom, as well as a vast army of pirates.
Game on, Enjoy!
on April 1, 2013
I bought this as a gift for my husband whom only wants game that activate on Steam. Amazon had a far better price than Steam and I was able to send him the activation code easily. In terms of the game itself, the storytelling was engaging, the gameplay was fantastic and the graphics were visually stunning.
on December 17, 2013
Disclaimer: I have not played the game other than loading it up to check it out. (I'll get through my backlog eventually right?)

To be honest, I didn't like Far Cry 2 at all. I quit early on and never went back.
But as I saw more and more of Far Cry 3 prior to release, it looked good. It perked my interest. I am pretty eager to play this.

I impulse bought this game for $7.50 on a sale. Even if I don't end up liking it very much I know it will give at least that value in entertainment. Probably much more though.

Nice and easy, it activated on Steam along with 95% of all my other games.

Here is where my real problem is. It's a Ubisoft game, and they make you install their U-Play client on your PC. I hate that. I don't need another client on my PC. Worse yet (or is it better?) it doesn't even do anything. It doesn't validate the game, or launch the game, or pretty much anything. It just gives you access to the U-Play online information and ability to purchase things etc... Even worse, it isn't even linked to one master account. I have a handful of games I signed in via consoles and those are not linked to my account.
So this all really irks me, and I feel I need to state it all here so other customers know what they are getting into. The details state that it uses Steam as the DRM, but it says nothing about requiring U-Play.

Is it game breaking or a reason not to get the game? No. But full disclosure should state that you need it.