Customer Discussions > Lost: Season 5 forum

Faraday's plan (spoilers)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2009 2:44:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2009 2:50:42 PM PDT
As an intelligent, well-educated man who spent a significant part of his life studying time travel, why didn't Faraday see the flaws in his plan? First of all, I think he knew that you can't change the past. Did it occur to him that his plan was the cause of the incident? Even if it had worked, it could have destroyed the Island, as well as the remaining Dharma folks and the Others. How could he justify trading the lives of those on the Island in the '70s for the sake of undoing the crash of flight 815 thirty years later? And if it had worked, and it destroyed the Island and those living on it, it would have been for nothing anyway. It would have killed his mother before he was born, preventing his own birth, thus making his attempts to intervene and change the past/present/future impossible, meaning there would be no change at all. Even if he had succeeded, he would have failed. Was he too focused on himself to see these issues? Or did he know something else, and lie about the reasons for his plan?

Posted on May 14, 2009 7:43:44 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2009 11:21:37 PM PDT
Jennifer M. Brennan says:
"lost is for smart people. if you can't keep up with the show, you are obviously not going to like it. for those of us who get it, we are completely aware that it is by far the best show on television. the characterization is amazing and the plot line makes sense. you have to think and work things out in your head if you want to get it. for those people who want a show that's going to fry their brains like any other tv show would, lost is not for you."

Wow. Despite my attempt to engage in thoughtful discussion with other fans of "Lost", I'm surprised to find that the first reply is an attack. Although you didn't reply directly to my post, I have to assume that it's aimed at me since you're the first person to respond. You seem to be suggesting that I'm not smart, that I cannot keep up with the show, and therefore will not like it. You also seem to think that I don't get it, and that I'm completely unaware that it's by far the best show on TV. From your attitude it's apparent that you seem to think that you're the opposite of what you seem to think I am yet, surprisingly, your post does not appear to have been typed by an educated person (though for all I know, people who possess a superior intellect don't feel the need to capitalize, nor post on-topic replies in a discussion). You said yourself that the plot line makes sense (and I never suggested otherwise, I only questioned the actions of a character within that plot), yet you made no attempt to address the questions raised. That's probably because you feel strongly that I should think for myself and work things out in my own head if I want to get it. You came to this discussion on your own, despite your apparent disdain for anyone who wishes to consider the perspectives of others. Was this a lapse in judgment due to having fried your brain watching other TV shows? For what it's worth, I would suggest that other TV shows don't actually fry brains, but that anyone who chooses to waste their time on mindless programming had issues to begin with, and the lack of mental stimulation only exacerbates the problem. Maybe you should take advantage of the warmer weather and get outside and away from the tube for awhile.

Posted on May 19, 2009 11:42:16 AM PDT
Pig_Weasley says:
I agree with your initial post, Kharn. When I first heard Faraday's plan, I thought "And just how is setting off an atomic bomb going to be any better than the magnetic anomaly?" At least with the magnetism, they have a plan for controlling/releasing it (as annoying as button-pushing is). Without, you know, irradiating the island and everyone on it! Guess we'll all see in 2010.

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 7:42:05 AM PDT
J. Miller says:
LOL - Excellent comeback, Kharn.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2009 6:25:53 AM PDT
I'm pretty sure he wasn't lying, because one of the things that was really proven about faraday was that he could not lie. After arriving on the island, he told jack that saving the survivors was not their first priority, and he later told juliet what exactly he was doing at the tempest station. The only thing is, he wasn't crazy anymore, as eloise explained: returning to the island would set his brain right. So what I think is that he didnt have anything to live for anymore after charlotte died, and he figured that we would either rescue her (by preventing her from coming to the island) or die trying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2009 5:38:17 AM PDT
I think Faraday actually did come to believe that he could change the past. He made a case for it based on the fact that he had been so focused on the constants of the equation, that he forgot to factor the variables (our time-traveling Losties). I think he actually did demonstrate that the past could be changed when he pointed out (after getting grazed by that bullet) that he did not have the scar from the bullet wound when they met. Also, I really don't think that his intent was to destroy the island. I think he meant for the nuclear explosion and the magnetic anomoly to cancel eachother out (as in a nuclear explosion creates an EMP, and it would be like the opposing forces pushing on eachother and rendering each useless). It almost makes sense. Also, I do think that he saw the flaws in his plan. I think that he was just so grief-stricken, and convinced that what he was planning was going to work that he went all-in. I think he was going to make it happen or die trying. Jack, also a well-educated man, seemed to think the plan would work as well. Either way... as Juliet succeeded in detonating the bomb, I guess we will see what happens from there. The way I see it? There are only two options. Either Faraday's plan worked and they will all safely land in LA blissfully ignorant (for the moment; before the island comes up with another way to get them there).... OR (more likely, in my book) the explosion will fix the stuck-in-time thing they've got going on and put them smack in the middle of the present day Jacob/Esau war (Hence Jacob's "final" warning.... "They're coming"). Either way, I can't wait (even though I am traumatized that this will be the last season).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2009 8:39:04 AM PDT
Could it be that Faraday, like all great educated men and women, failed to see the end result because of his desire to save the person they love the most? (In this case Charlotte.) Faraday's sole purpose, from what I gathered, was to set everything back to normal so Charlotte would not die.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 7:13:42 AM PST
clayton says:
Kharn...One must wonder exactly what was studied in your life long study of time travel. Certainly, Einstein and others have theorized that it is possible, and it is an intriguing idea but to my knowledge only H.G Wells, and his fertile imagination, actually had a game plan albeit a bit sketchy.

Posted on Mar 20, 2010 5:24:40 PM PDT
Jackie Lee says:
Aww clayton---there's lots of time travel in fiction. Robert Heinlein, Tim Powers, Poul Anderson, just to mention a few.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 12:46:55 PM PDT
wally gator says:
I'm sure this thread has not been visited in months, but hey... from the perspective of "the end" I'd say that Daniel Faradays plan was a mix of pain (from Charlotte) and the stress of making sure things were always contained that results in an act of chaos... If you really could not change the past, then why was his mother always so hell bent in making sure things stayed the same? Her life became carefully controlled in making sure that nothing ever happened differently then what was "supposed to" happen. Jack becomes the wild card in this whole story I think, as he was the one of the bunch that hadn't been through this time-warp before already. As soon as Faraday noticed that Jack was with them in 1977, he knew that there was a possibility... NOW, I think unleashing the bomb was not the smartest plan Faraday could have come up with, but his reasoning is that if 815 never crashes, then none of it happens... not just 1977 and on, but all of it... Faraday introduced time travel, if he kills himself before he is born, then time travel never exists. If you destroy the island-you destroy it forever (foward and backward)...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Lost: Season 5 forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  May 14, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lost: Season 5
Lost: Season 5 by Matthew Fox (DVD - 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (436)