5.0 out of 5 stars Never going back to my old can opener!
This is my absolute favorite can opener! It does take some getting used to - both my husband and I had to use it several times before we got the hang of it, but once we did it has been great! I love that it doesn't leave sharp edges and I also love that the blade doesn't get dirty every time you use it, unlike conventional can openers. The only type of can it doesn't...
Published 8 months ago by Amy D. Milburn

3.0 out of 5 stars IQ Test
I give it 3 stars as I wait to se how long it lasts sharp. I like that it is in fact safe-no sharp edges. The main problem is figuring out how to operate it, as most of us discard the packaging and then later try to use it. It was frustrating to not find any instructions available in the internet even by those who figured it out...
So here goes the secret: you...
Published on April 16, 2011 by Alwr

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars IQ Test, April 16, 2011
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
So here goes the secret: you have to hold it almost vertically, with the label facing up & the "foot"on the lid as a support. Then start turning the key & the opener will engage, tilting downward. To disengage, turn it in the other direction... Good luck!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous and Defective, August 1, 2011
Here is what I sent to Farberware's customer service:
I have a number of Farberware products in my kitchen, and I have always felt that Farberware meets a high standard of quality and durability. This particular can opener, however, has been the source of continual frustration and two injuries. The first problem I encountered was in March [about 2 months after purchase], I believe, while opening a can of tuna fish. I noticed what appeared to be little shards of plastic or metal separating from the lid while I opened the can, appearing almost like strings. I stopped and tried to remove it, and in turn, it sliced my finger. Since then, I've always had to pay special attention while opening cans. I would say half of the cans I open produce these little shards all the way around the lid, and they have even fallen into food. When this has happened, I have been fearful to use the food, as a shard could slice my family's mouths just as easily as it did my finger. When the shards are not falling into the food, I am having to pour out the contents with the utmost care to make sure the shards don't fall into the food. At times they have been so small and so many in number I have had to scoop the food out of the can rather than pour the contents.

Most recently, the can opener has been skidding. It won't move forward, like a tire with no tread that spins but moves the car nowhere. I cannot get my cans open, and even more shards are produced now that this skidding has begun. While trying to pry open the can in the areas where the opener did intermittently separate the lid from the can, my finger was again injured by a shard that penetrated approximately a quarter inch into my skin.

As a result, the can opener has become completely ineffective and dangerous to use, and I have only had it for approximately 7 months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This Can Opener!, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
We followed the instructions to a "tee" but were not able to open a can. It is extremely difficult to figure out how to use, as the can opener won't fully engage the can even when following the instructions. The worst part is that the can opener produces sharp shreds of metal that can cut you or get into the food. This product is dangerous and should be taken off the market. We were feeling pretty stupid for not being able to make it work, but we felt a lot better after reading the other reviews and realizing that we were not alone. DO NOT buy this can opener! It is a total waste of money, and worse, could seriously harm you and your family. I would give it zero stars if Amazon allowed.

1.0 out of 5 stars A good idea that apparently does not work, February 10, 2013
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
I purchased Farberware's saftey can opener from a local grocery store more than a year ago. The idea of a smooth, side-cutting can opener made a tremendous amount of sense to me. Unfortunately, it has not performed to expectation.

After some experimentation with the can opener, I was able to operate it reasonably well. The one caveat being that you often had to cut past where you had initially started to open the can in order to get the lid completely free. This unfortunately would often produce sharp slivers of steel from where the cut did not perfectly overlap. That sort of debris is completely unwelcome in my food.

As time wore on, the can opener performed poorer and poorer. After only a few months, it would slip, bind and produce steel slivers along the entirety of the cut. I really gave it the college try, but have elected to discard this annoying, hazardous safety can opener in favor of it's 20th century antecedent.

1.0 out of 5 stars pure junk, May 10, 2012
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
Leaves shards of metal. It stopped working after a month of use. Do not buy this can opener!! You will be sorry if you do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wears out, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
I have been using "safety" style can openers for over 10 years, and overall have had a VERY positive experience with them. I still have my original opener (a generic model with the traditional two-handle arrangement, with handles that are squeezed together) and it continues to work like a champ after all those years.

In the last year or so, I decided to get a spare opener, and found the Farberware in the store. I was intrigued by its single-handle design, and actually liked it initially. However, recently it has stopped cutting all the way through the edge of the lid, making it nearly impossible to actually open a can. I thought at first that the problem was with the cans---maybe the lid was crimped on using a non-standard method or something? But today I took out my old faithful generic opener, and it was able to open a can that I had just failed to open with the Farberware.

I share the sentiments of some of the other reviewers here: I had always had a good impression of the Farberware brand. However I cannot recommend this can opener. I recommend looking for one of the two-handled openers.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY--It can only be used once and not well!, December 19, 2011
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
There is something seriously wrong with the design of this can opener.

If I could give it zero stars I would.

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerous and hard to use, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
This product is first hard to use. It took a long time to figure out how to use the can opener. More importantly it leaves shards of metal hanging from the edge of the can. It could cut you or get into the food.

2.0 out of 5 stars Metal Shards - Beware, December 16, 2011
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
I loved this can opener, at first. The safty open means no more cutting myself trying to pull the lids back out of the cans when they fall in. However, after about a month the blade on this can opener gets really dull and will not cut through the can anymore. I exchanged my first one and the second one lasted maybe a week before it started to make hair thin metal shards. Didn't really think too much of it at first, until I found one of the shards in my food. I dumped the food, and the can opener.

1.0 out of 5 stars Criminally awful design., September 21, 2013
This review is from: Farberware 5070507 Safety Can Opener
I threw this can opener into the trash along with the can I managed to pry open (barely) with it. It only gripped the side of the can for a few inches. After that, it just spun it's little wheel and stayed put.

I marvel that this thing started as a design, went through a prototype phase, went into production, was sold to consumers, and still is sold to consumers even now. Didn't anyone at the company actually test this thing? Has no one noticed how universally reviled it is? The only reasonable conclusion is that Fabberware just doesn't give a damn.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›