Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Size: 17-Piece Set|Style Name: Classic|Change

I cook as a serious hobby and own plenty of turners, spoons and measuring cups, mostly in stainless steel. However, I have a son who recently married and I have been buying some basic kitchen gadgets for them. I thought that this set would be useful and it seemed like a good value (they complain that I am always spending too much on them each time that they see me.) Farberware is a name that I recognized, not high end but not the worst, so I decided to give it a shot. Here is my take on each item included here:

* The spoons and the turners: Fairly well-made with a nice feel to them. The handles feel weighted and are well balanced. The turners were a little more rigid that I would like but over all I give them 4 stars.

* The can opener: It's okay, not really well made but it should hold up for a few years. 3 stars.

* The measuring cups and spoons: Again, not great but usable. They look like something you would pick up at the dollar store, however they are well marked with their respective sizes. 3 stars.

* The spatulas: They seemed to be pretty cheaply made and were overly soft. 2 stars.

* The vegetable peeler and the pizza cutter: Junk, I don't even think that they would work more than once. They were so cheaply and poorly made that I would have been embarrassed to give them to anyone. I threw them straight into the trash can. 1 star.

Overall, the set is just barely acceptable and if I had it to do over again I would have bought something else.
55 comments|258 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2012
I picked this because it has nearly everything you need to start building your kitchen. We are moving into a new apartment and are bringing nearly nothing from our previous places. So, this was the perfect choice. You cannot find something that includes such a variety at this price in the stores. By no means are these super thick top of the line items. But, you will find sturdy tools that you can use daily and you won't cry for your wallet if something breaks.
33 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2015
DO NOT BUY - the can opener broke within seconds of my first use (a cheap plastic part snapped) and the spatula melted into the food I was stirring in the pan. There is a reason they are so cheap...I would give 0 stars if I could.
on August 8, 2013
The measuring cups and spoons did not make it through the first washing (by hand, not dishwasher)! The paint, which tells the measurement, came right off on my hand! I use regular Dawn dish soap, not some super industrial strength chemical.

The end of the spatula melted in the pan... I was flipping eggs which were cooking at a medium/low setting. I was so mad because the pan that it melted in was expensive!!!!

This set is terrible!!!! Stop reading this review and move along to a different set!!! It's terrible!!!

I think you'd do better at the dollar store. Fortunately, I received this set as a gift and didn't spend any money on it. I don't understand how this set has any positive reviews!!! All I can think is that people must not have washed the measuring cups and spoons yet.
on December 30, 2013
Pizza Cutter Broke...use 2....Peeler broke...use 1....spatulas...melted in scrambled eggs.....

Can opener...do NOT get me started..

Be ware...junk junk junk. Would return if I cared enough. Threw them all out but the measuring spoons
on April 27, 2013
I could not believe the price but I bought it anyway. It arrived and I was very surprised at the quality. My local store wanted the price of this just for the can opener. This is a MUST BUY. VERY HAPPY!
on August 28, 2015
DONT BUY.. it melted while stirring eggs. I had melted plastic and eggs for breakfast.

it is really dangerous​.
on July 16, 2015
I got this set through the Amazon Warehouse at a discounted price and was happy with the tool set. It replaced a mismatched collection of rental property utensils, and is basic Farberware quality. I'm sure guests will appreciate having everything they will need to cook a meal. Plus they look good in a countertop container.
on July 26, 2014
On roughly the second use (scooping cookie dough), the cup snapped off the tablespoon measure. A couple of months later the potato peeler blade bent in, and shortly after that the can opener stopped working.

I don't think I'd ever seen *a* kitchen gadget break before I got this set. Pathetic for a reputable company like Farberware.
on February 16, 2014
Farberware is a recognizable name for kitchen utensils, and this set has much of what I wanted. That said, I found it to be an odd set in the sense that some items like the spoons/spatulas are a modern design, but others like the potato peeler seem old-fashioned and cheap.
Things I liked: The can opener and the measuring cups. The opener is a good quality and operates smoothly. The measuring cups have easy-to-read measurements.
Things I don't like: The potato peeler and the spoons/spatulas. The former has a very cheap appearance and doesn't really work very well (for me). The latter have handles that bend up at awkward angles, especially true of the spatulas. I assume these designs were worked out in an ergonomic lab somewhere, but for my hands and wrists, they just don't work.
Things I'm ambivalent about: The pizza cutter and the scrapers. They seem to be fine.
To make this a better set, Farberware should update the peeler, straighten out the handles on the spoons/spatulas, and add a cheese grater/grader.
My experience here is that sometimes it's better to be able to actually see and examine the appliances. As it is, I wouldn't recommend this set, nor would I purchase it again,