4.0 out of 5 stars Great stainless steel, but skillets are 100% aluminum.
We're happy with our 20-year-old Farberware stainless steel cookware, pre-dating the stainless steel capped base. The interiors are still like new. The lids are shiny and dent-free. The handles are faded, but remain tight with an occasional turn of a screw. We use it everyday.

Published on October 30, 2002 by Geo

Published on November 30, 2009 by john

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware unintentionally misleading reviews. Quality is just ok., November 30, 2009
This review is from: Farberware Classic Stainless Steel 15-Piece Cookware Set (Kitchen)
I am reviewing this cookware set having owned & used it for ~6 months. At first glance, this set seems to be very well reviewed; however if you read the reviews closely, it will become apparent that many of them are for older versions of Farberware sets (e.g. "I've owned mine for 27 years...", etc. (!)) Such reviews are very helpful in giving us a concept of the quality of Farberware from 1980, but they are unfortunately irrelevant to the quality of this set. I bought this set aware of said discrepancy, but was hoping that quality had been maintained, a good manufacturer in the past probably being a good one now, etc. etc. This was an error. As it has been noted, the pans' bases are not stainless steel, but rather aluminum. The nonstick coating on said pans is beginning to separate from the pan in several small but spreading points (as I only use plastic spatulas/spoons/etc. to cook with, this is not an issue of user error). I have no complaint with the pots, but at the current rate I will require new pans after about one year of ownership. Whether such an investment is wise I leave as an exercise for the reader, but in my opinion it would be better to spend more initial money on a better quality, wholly stainless steel cookware set.

On another note, I would implore Amazon reviewers to refrain from writing nostalgic reviews of archaic versions of current products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stainless steel, but skillets are 100% aluminum., October 30, 2002

We are equally pleased with the newer "Classic" pieces, especially with the added weight and improved appearance of the capped bases. We bought the 15-piece set, giving us some redundant pieces but at a better price than buying fewer pieces individually.

We like stainless steel for several reasons: It cooks well. We can use metal utensils. It lasts for decades. It's dishwasher safe without consequence. It looks good. It's heavy enough. It cleans up easily. (For occasional stuck on food, we simply blot out what's loose, add water, and bring to a boil. After a few seconds, the stuck on food wipes off easily.)

There's pricier cookware available, some with aluminum cores that extend up the sides of the pan, some with copper clad bases, some with handles rated to 500 degrees, some made of anodized aluminum, and some so heavy you can use it as part of your fitness program. After years of no-complaints with our Farberware Classic stainless steel, we can't see paying the premium prices for anything else. We don't use our cookware in the oven, so we're okay with our 350-degree handles.

One complaint with the set: The non-stick skillets are 100% ALUMINUM with a PLAIN exterior and NO heavy base cap. Per Farberware's own website (caps added for emphasis): "Aluminum stains easily and reacts with certain foods. A nonstick interior and PORCELAIN OR NONSTICK EXTERIOR prevents staining and food reaction. Nonstick aluminum is dishwasher safe. A PLAIN AUMINUM EXTERIOR may discolor in the dishwasher."

We use stainless steel for most of our cooking, but still prefer non-stick skillets for some things. We'd like the skillets in this set better if they at least had an exterior finish on them.

Follow-up: We gave away the aluminum skillets from this set and bought a set of Cuisinart stainless steel non-stick skillets to use alongside our collection of Farberware stainless steel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great cook set for a small kitchen, July 1, 2009
I have always liked the Farberware cookware for over 30 years. The steel pots are perfect. I am not crazy about the non-stick ones, wish they had covers too, and a bit heavier. Besides, I don't care for non-stick surface as much because it could leave toxins after a scratch. I like the glass lids, they are easier to clean. The size of most pots in this set is fairly small which you may not realize from the size provided in quarts, but appropriate for a small household's kitchen. Overall, it's a pretty good quality set for the price compared to all those other brands with highly inflated prices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the old stuff, September 18, 2005
D Darkman (New York State) - See all my reviews
Farberware classic is great -- an inexpensive yet equally functional alternative to the very expensive pots & pans. Note: recently Farberware reduced its quality, in that older Farberware pots & pans had their thick aluminum base completely encased within a stainless steel shell. The newer pots & pans have the aluminum base attached to the bottom, but not encased within a stainless steel bottom. So, their quality is less than it was; most people who "grew up with Farberware" may not realize this. Farberware used to hold the patent on the technique of having the aluminum base CURVE up the side of the pan -- they no longer do this, and are the same as many other manufacturers.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Farberware Surprise, January 31, 2012
I have owned my Farberware for 12 years and love it.It was made in the USA. So when I wanted to get cookware for my daughter, Farberware was my 1st choice.I ordered a "10 piece classic set" from Amazon(They sent it through another shipper but it came on time and was well packed)
When the set came my daughter cooked oatmeal in the small sauce pan for 3 mornings and noticed the finish on the bottom of the pan was chipping off I called the plant and they said that they would replace it. Before I could send it back we used one of the larger pans and noticed it had a small chip in the bottom and was discolored on the sides and bottom. I looked for the warranty which said it was "limited lifetime" but didn't cover discoloring and a lot of other things. This was STAINLESS STEEL. It didn't say what was meant by "lifetime" so I guess it was the lifetime of the pan, which was 3 days in this case.I then checked to see where it was made and it was Thailand. I called the plant again and they don't make anything in the USA anymore.I boxed it all up and returned it.I learned most cookware is made overseas now, so I don't know what to buy. But it won't be Farberware. It is a bunch of junk! I'm hoping some other factories overseas are better, they couldn't be any worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, December 29, 2008
Great value for the price. I have always found Faberware quality to be trustworthy. I recommend this set for everyday use for a small family. The pots are not big so if you cook for a lot of people, this is not the set for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars almost perfect, August 4, 2008
I love the farberware cookware. the pots are perfect. some lightweight pots my wife purchased actually warped and thus rattled on the stovetop. since i am the cook, it drove me crazy. i threw them out in less than a month. the only "problem" and the reason for 4 not 5 stars is the non-stick pans. I hate the non stick surface because they scratch and can leave toxins in the food . cant convince my wife that you must use wooden utensils, so i just threw them out

1.0 out of 5 stars THESE POTS AND PANS ARE NOT WORTHY OF FABERWARE, January 19, 2010
Eric Bolduc (Arvada, Colorado) - See all my reviews
I had waited so long to be able to replace my old set of pots and pans with new one's. My husband found this set and ordered them for me for Christmas....I am SO disappointed not at all the nice heavy duty faberware I had dreamed of. They burn easily, already the handles are loose and just very un-happy with this whole set....I wish I wouldn't have thrown out my old set, they were better than these..!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, December 15, 2011
Received this set UPS today and returned to Amazon.com today also. Made overseas from thin cheap steel. Faberware has sold out their reputation by backing these sets of poor quality stainless steel. Bought individual pieces made by Hamilton Beach from a local kitchen store and got better quality and a better price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Things just aren't what they used to be, April 19, 2009
My family has used Farberware pots for generations - my grandmother would purchase a set for every bride to be. My mother's 30 year old set still looks great. However, the new Farberware no longer has the quality of days gone by. I followed directions exactly and still, from the 1st use of each pot, the (inside) bottoms discolored & have tiny pit marks. The outside of the pots gleam providing you dry them well immediately after washing. I'm sorry to say I won't be buying or recommending Farberware Classic again.

Farberware Classic Stainless Steel 15-Piece Cookware Set