Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on November 21, 2006
I wanted a four-quart pot with a handle for cooking pasta--but not a "stock pot" with two small handles on either side. This pot is wonderful--since it is the Farberware classic style. YOU CAN FIND A REPLACEMENT LID (without a hole) to fit this pot through JCPenney, search for replacement lid, and select the 8 inch size. The lid comes from the manufacturer "Farberware" and while it is not the "classic" style, it fits great.
44 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2012
If my mathematical skills are wrong, someone please correct me so that I can change this rating. The description of this item on Amazon gives the size as 11 by 11 by 6. Another site gives it a diameter of 11 inches and height of 6 inches. Thus, I was expecting the width across the center to be 11 inches. To my disappointment it is only 8 inches (6 inches deep), not even wide enough for the hot dogs I buy to fit without bending slightly.
on April 3, 2013
information on pan it states the pan measures approx. 11x11x6 the pan is really 8x8x51/2 the pan was scratched up inside on bottom as packaged wrong nothing stopping basket from scratching the pan up when shipped. put can still be used as a 3 or 3/1/2 qt pan with fryer basket
on December 5, 2006
I've used this kind of deep-fryer a lot; it's the kind my mother used when I was growing up. I have lots of Farberware, so I know I will love it. When I first bought my Farberware 4-qt. saucepan, there was a choice of the long handle or two small ones. I bought the one with two small handles and I've always been sorry I didn't get the other kind. I've been looking for one for a long time, and was told Farberware didn't make them anymore (all they have now are the ones with two handles). So now--I'll get the pan I want, and a deep fryer to boot, and if the hole in the top is a problem, I've already got one without a hole. And, if you've ever bought Farberware, you know that this is a great price on a great product.
on December 15, 2012
Classic Accessories 8" Glass Lid
"Farberware Classic Accessories 8" Glass Lid," available through Amazon, fits this pot.

I had a 40+-year-old Sears deep-frying pan with basket (used more often for pasta than for frying) and a similarly old 4-qt aluminum saucepan that I often used to make popcorn. Both were tossed by an overzealous housecleaner, and I bought this pot to serve as replacement for both. I like it, but like several other reviewers I wanted to have a NON-fenestrated lid for some tasks. The Farberware 8-inch replacement lid that is specifically labeled "Classic" (as is this pot) seemed a good bet, so I ordered one, and it's fine. It also lacks the dorky-looking thelioid peak that one reviewer complained about --- it's a simple low dome.

I suspect that most purchasers of this pot will want to use it as a saucepot as well as a fryer; it would be nice if it (a) came with both lids, or (b) were listed on Amazon with a click-box option to add the appropriate solid lid. Personally, I'll probably use the original lid only occasionally --- the pan will much more often be used open or with the solid lid.
on March 10, 2014
The pot itself is great, basket however??? Don't know what they were thinking! Handle on the basket folds into basket for easy storing, but when you open out the handle, it does not lock properly and when you try to turn over the basket to pour out the french fries, handle folds in and you need to secure it, quick reaction is to grab it, but it is hot and dangerous. also mesh is wide and shoestrings fall right out of the basket and into the pot while frying, so when you lift out the basket, you need to go fishing in for the fries that fell through the openings. I am going to look for another basket to use with this pot.
on March 30, 2009
I'm sorry, but this pot is ugly. I knew that going into this purchase. It is one of the ugliest designs I have ever seen.

This pot, with fry basket, weighs in at 5+ lbs. One of the heaviest things in my kitchen. There are some negative reviews here about the hole in the lid. I bought this pot specifically for deep frying on the stovetop and that hole is essential for the fry basket handle. I agree the photos don't do it justice and they could have done better. I've looked at all the latest models of electric deep fryers and none of them get up to 375F (the ideal temperature for deep frying) - plus a bunch of them have leaks (leaking hot oil = bad!). Due to the weight of this pot, it should be able to quickly obtain the ideal frying temperature and have fast recovery on my electric stovetop that gets incredibly hot. This pot feels like it will withstand any abuse you could ever throw at it.

Unlike other reviewers, I actually like the hole in the lid and will come in handy for other things. For example, it will allow steam to escape, which will reduce the likelihood of boilover. I'm constantly putting lids on pots in such a way to essentially do what this lid does naturally to prevent boilover. Although, I'm sure there will be times I wish I had a lid without a hole in it. Would have been nice to have gotten two lids (one with a hole and one without). There was plenty of space in the box for another lid.

The fry basket seems well-built too. The handle snaps into place for frying and then folds inside the basket when not in use. Good solid steel construction like the rest of the pot.

I love the sticker (actually a piece of plastic) that tells you the features. The second feature on the list says, "Improved with the 'Full Cap' advantage for better cooking performance and easy cleanup." What in the world does that mean?! I have no idea but I got a good laugh out of it. I also got a good laugh out of how "beautiful" the creators think this ugly-looking pot is.

Due to the durability, this will be with you for a really long time. Which means you might want to consider how this thing looks. Ug-ly.

4/5 - minus one star for being so doggone ugly. Otherwise, good, solid engineering. That alone is well worth the price.
on November 23, 2013
After reading the bad reviews for electric deep fryers with all their problems, I decided on this simple approach: a stainless steel stovetop fryer with basket. The lid has a cut out to accommodate the basket handle, which is very handy. I can get the oil up to the proper temp and check it with a Polder deep fry/candy thermometer I got on Amazon. I also got the Kuchemprofi stainless steel funnel with a fine strainer. The funnel fits over a wide mouth mason jar and the removable stainless steel strainer is fine enough to strain out all the sediment in the cooking oil. I refrigerate my cooking oil and use again. It's easy and not a messy process. Best of all everything pops into the dishwasher, even the thermometer. I mostly fry breaded shrimp for my 8 year old grandson, who loves the stuff. This pot is just the right size for the task. There is no grease spatter when I fry and my stove stays clean.
on September 11, 2013
Was happy to see that this is a compact fryer. I didn't want to have to use a lot of oil. At first I was mystified about the purpose of the cover and thought it pretty useless, but I found the directions which state that after you lower the basket with your cold food in it into the oil you cover it with the supplied cover to prevent splatters. I just wonder, though, about condensation forming on it and then dropping into the oil causing splatters. I think a regular mesh splatter shield might work even better.

It looked to me that a cover from one of my All-Clad pans might fit it and upon setting it in place I saw that it fit perfectly, so I didn't have to order a separate new hole-less cover from Farberware. The All-Clad cover measures about 8 3/8" in diameter. I can use that when I want to use the pan for something other than frying, such as cooking rice.
review image
on January 7, 2014
It is not quite 8" in diameter and 5" deep. It works fine for frying, however I wanted to use it as a small soup pot, or for popcorn - but it's too small for that. The hole in the lid is way bigger than it needs to be for the handle of the basket, by the way, and the edge is sharp. Also, the handle of the basket, at least on mine, tends to fold forward onto the basket so be careful when dealing with hot oil. That said, it's hard to find a large pot with this sort of shape, so if you need this size, it's a fine and dandy pot. Incidentally, in looking through my other pot lids I found one that fit it, so you may have one to use when you don't want the gaping hole in the lid.