5.0 out of 5 stars At last, contemporary styling and hot delicious coffe
I've been hunting for the "perfect" coffee maker for quite some time. I wanted the modern convenience of a self-timer, contemporary styling, and most importantly, hot deliciously brewed java.

Published on January 25, 2001 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Tasting Coffee, but Problematic
Published on December 20, 2003 by JosieDahling

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, contemporary styling and hot delicious coffe, January 25, 2001
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)

Auto drips fulfilled the first two necessities, but always fell short on the last. No matter what brand of auto-drips I tried, coffee was lukewarm at best. My grandmother's 20-year-old percolator made better tasting, hotter coffee every time. But I never was fond of the appearance or lack of a self-timer.

Finally, I saw this percolator and knew it was a winner. The body, basket, and tube are easy to clean, maintain, and because it's all stainless steel, it doesn't transfer any metal taste to the coffee. The fact that the electrical cord is built into the base unit, makes unplugging and re-plugging the cord each time you want to pour a cup of coffee a thing of the past. The timer is accurate and easy to setup. I love the little things the engineers thought of, like a built-in 2-hour auto shutoff, in case you forget on a busy workday.

Simply a great product that actually does everything it claims to do. Now, how many products can you say that about?

Update - After about a year, the "buttons" started to flake then eventually crack. It still worked but looked pretty bad. I evntually got rid of it and now use a simpler french press.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Tasting Coffee, but Problematic, December 20, 2003
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
I have always loved percolated coffee rather than drip...it brings me back to my childhood when Mom and Dad used an old Corning percolator. It's hard to find a decent percolator these days. The old Cornings are gone (although you can probably buy a used one). I tried this Farberware 12-cup programmable about one year ago. The first problem that occurred was that the buttons to program the timer started to "crack" and "peel"...they were still usable, but it was unsightly consdering how much I spent on this product. The buttons themselves are microscopic. If you have trouble seeing, these buttons will frustate you to no end! The coffee tastes GREAT, but you still have the pesky grounds-in-the-coffee problem. Now, with only one year of usage, the top percolator part has completely snapped off, rendering it completely useless. It was definitely not worth the money to only get one year's use out of it. I expected better quality and am disappointed. I give it a 3, because the coffee IS very good.

1.0 out of 5 stars This coffe pot is a piece of junk, November 25, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
Oh, it starts out ok, but I have had this pot less than a year and have had one thing after another go wrong with it. First, it would brew inconsistantly, ( refused to brew if I only made five cups)then the programable clock would not set and lastly, and finally, it just won't start at all. I would think I have a lemon, but it worked for about a year. I had a GE that I bought at resale shop that I had for seven years and it made great coffee every day until its death. Worse yet I can not reach Farberware to complain about this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning...poor quality, July 9, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
This thing brews great coffee during it's brief lifespan. I bought my first one last August 2000 ...and it lasted until November 2000. It started smelling of burnt plastic and then stopped working. Fortunately I didn't have an electrical fire .... Unfortunately this replacement only lasted until July 2, 2001. This time it stopped in the middle of a brew. The coffee was luke warm and it never started up again. We brew one pot a day. ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome coffee despite what coffee snobs tell you., December 29, 2005
Tom B. (Barnesville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
A rule of thumb, coffee snobs will tell you, is that you never ever use a percolator to make coffee. They say use a press. I don't like presses, they taste funny, and driped coffee is too cold.

This is a great machine. It features contemporary styling, ease of use, and is full featured. It has a digital clock to tell time, and allows you to set your daily timer so you can have fresh coffee when you wake up. It's 2 hour auto-shut off feature is great as I'm always forgetting to turn it off.

It is great for entertaining because you can brew your coffee in the pot, and then remove it from the base for cordless serving. The stainless body looks much better than walking around to your dinner guests with a glass carafe.

The lid, brew basket, and inside parts are dishwasher safe, though you are not to immerse the pot itself in water.

It makes 4-12 cups of coffee quickly, roughly a minute a cup, so 8 cups will take 8 minutes to brew. I suggest making at least 6 cups, because any less you don't get optimum flavor, plus you'll want to drink more than one cup.

Now I buy my beans fresh roasted and whole bean. I only grind what I am about to immediatly drink, and of the several ways I've tasted this coffee of mine, it tastes best in this machine.

It is a nice priced machine with a great combination of features, ease of use, durability and looks.

1.0 out of 5 stars FARBERWARE AFTER SALTON, August 22, 2004
Jennie (Southington, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
8/31/04 UPDATE: I spoke to Salton yesterday. I just couldn't bear the fact that I would have to junk a $100.00 coffeepot that was supposed to be under warranty for one year. After asking me some preliminary information I was told, and I quote, "that because I make 2 pots of coffee a day it is overuse, or rather, not the products intended use". I just hung up the phone. I have not been making 2 pots of coffee for years with this machine. I've owned it for 8 months and it has only been used 6 of those months. I should have known. It will go in the trash and I will go to esalton website where they list every brand name that they actually make so I can be sure NEVER to buy one of their products again.
ORIGINAL REVIEW:I had a Farberware perculator for 10 years. When it finally gave out I went through a drip pot, but yearned for a perk one. I bought this one thinking I would not have to worry about coffee makers for another 10 years. After 2 months of use the plastic top broke right off the lid. I called the number, thinking I was going to be dealing with a class act company and instead am talking to Salton (these are the same people who told me I needed to make coffee in the nursery in order to get the clock to work on a Melitta drip maker I bought in the interim). Ok, they tell me that the broken top is considered normal wear and tear (yes, even after 2 months) and I would have to buy another. I did. Now I am sorry that I spent the $6.00 for it because this is month 8 (keep in mind it was not used for 6 weeks while I waited for the lid) and now it is dead. Also, the coating on the start button is peeling and it is sharp. Another great looking piece of junk from Salton. I can't recommend and will not buy Farberware small appliances or Melitta brand small appliances any longer because you can't go by the former good names of companies. And I will now have my doubts about buying any other type of product with the Farberware name on it because I don't trust it any longer and am rather shocked that they would allow their good name on shoddy products. I spent $99.00 at a department store for something that worked for less than a year, well less than 6 months if you count the time it was not being used. So I will try and find a new pot and read the box carefully to make sure "Salton" isn't anywhere on it. I will never buy anything that has that name on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Coffee Ever, October 11, 2000
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
I've been a Faberware coffee drinker since I can remember and have had alot of there pots. When I saw this one I just had to have it. Keeping true to there tradition this pot has got to be the best coffee maker around. The first thing you notice is the beauty of this machine. It looks like it just came out of "The Jetsons" The base of the machine has all the functions Eg: timer, on-off, clock and set buttons. You can program all it's features from hese buttons. The coffee it brews is without a doubt the hottest coffee I have ever drank, if you love hot coffee this pot is for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars The NEW Farberware vs.OLD Farberware-, March 20, 2005
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
For those that care about the Farberware products of past, I drove by the former Farberware plant in the Bronx last week. It's a pile rubble. History. From what I understand, Farberware products have been made in China (or somewhere outside US) for several years now.

Now I don't know if this has anything to do with the quality of Farberware products - but they don't seem to be holding up to the Farberware products my parents swore by.

Despite the mixed review of this coffee maker, I purchased it. It lasted about a year. I love the design, especially the electrical base which allows for the transport of the hot pot of coffee without unplugging. I also love perk coffee. Unfortunately, the machine did not hold up.

The glass bulb at the top is no longer glass, it's plastic. It broke off. Also, the buttons on the base have begun to crack.

Now I'm back on Amazon coffee-maker shopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, June 24, 2003
joanna (redondo beach, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
I don't often make the time to write reviews, but felt I had to in this case. Not only is this the best coffee maker we've ever had, but the customer support is unbelievable.
Purchased this item in April of 2002, and this month the washer holding the knob on the lid disintegrated (probably my own fault for washing it on a regular basis in the dishwasher)! I called to enquire about the price of a new lid (easy call, got to speak to a real human being straight away). Expecting to pay through the nose, I was informed that there was no charge to replace the part, and it would arrive within 7 working days! It arrived in 4 days, and there weren't even any shipping charges!
My faith in customer service has been restored! Thank you Faberware, you have a loyal customer for as long as I have the power to purchase!

1.0 out of 5 stars Its got some problems., November 24, 2002
This review is from: Farberware FCP512S 12-Cup Cordless Percolator (Kitchen)
Let's see I bought this from Amazon October 2001. First the clear plastic Percolator top melted off so Faberware had no problem replacing it with a whole new style top. Then a few months later the coffee pot stopped getting hot the coffee was luke warm. So I sent the coffee pot back and recieved a new one, no questions asked. Used it about a month and it went to luke warm coffee. My advice DON'T BUY THE CORDLESS ONE!!!