Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Farberware FPC400 4-Quart Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 19, 2001
Love these pressure cookers. First I got the the 4 Quart - I liked it so much I bought the 6 Quart the very next day - if they start making an 8 Quart, I'll buy that one too. I use my pressure cookers 5 out of 7 nights a week. I cook chicken, pork, pasta, corned beef and the best Pulled Pork BBQ in the world. Get a couple of good Pressure Cooker Recipe books (my favorites are Express Cooking and the Better Homes and Gardens Pressure Cooker Cookbook), stop heating up your kitchen and start eating really good food. Don't bother with a top of the stove model pressure cooker - you have to hang around the kitchen and make sure it's okay - the Farberware Programmable is the only way to go. Put in your food, set the time, push start - it does all the rest. Be a kitchen slave no more!
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2001
This little gem sits permanently on my countertop winking and beeping at me like R2D2's little brother. What a find! No more watched pots, and if you have never tasted pressure cooked brown rice, you have no idea what you are missing. Not to mention it is done perfectly in 18 mins or basically the same time as nutritionally empty white rice cooked on the stove top.
It is so easy to use, and what a treat to just program and then forget it. It will even delay start your dinner, cook it to perfection and then keep it warm for you. (Now if they could just get it to clear the table and do the dishes. . . )
Perfect size for dinner for one to four people, very easy to clean, the safety cord is short enough to not wind around the counter, but long enough to allow moving the cooker out from under the overhead cabinets.
The instant pressure release is a real bonus, but can be left to naturally release also. Many, many plusses, although it would have been nice if Farberware would have included a steamer rack.
If you are new to pressure cooking you will definately want to purchase a cookbook or two or six as the enclosed booklet is very scanty.
For the quality and price, it can't be topped.
on January 28, 2001
This pressure cooker earned a place on my counter (it's minimal so few pieces of equipment make it there). Watching a demo I found out why FOOD TASTES GREAT WHEN I COOK IN THE PRESSURE COOKER. (My daughter who doesn't like vegetables was asking for more carrots in my next pressure-cooked pot roast.) The liquid used in the pressure cooker literally goes into the vegetables and meat (WHO NEEDS INJECTORS OR PRE-COOKING MARINADES). A nice wine or flavorful liquid such as a jar spaghetti sauce where the liquid has been infused with herbs goes right into the items being cooked. It's quick cooking without the usual tasteless fare you get from not allowing foods to "sit" in a flavorful liquid for long periods of time. Chicken tastes less like chicken and more like the flavor-filled piece of meat I was always hoping for when I cooked "light".
Meats don't have to be frozen but following the suggestions seen in the demo, I put frozen chicken breasts (could be frozen meat patties) into the cooker with a handful of pasta and enough jar sauce and wine (optional) to provide the liquid that will cook the pasta as well as the usual one-cup needed for the steam to cook the meat, set it for 12 minutes at high pressure and started on a salad to go with it. This is GREAT LAST MINUTE COOKING. No more "baby-sitting" the pressure cooker with this electronic model. The heat is managed by the system so it's just right. The cooker starts counting the time once the cooker "comes up to pressure" - no more guessing as on a manual model when this point arrives. It shuts off and beeps when it's done. Using the quick pressure release, I'm ready to open and serve in just a few minutes. When you lift the lid, don't hold it above the pot - quickly move it to the side so you're arms are not over the steam coming from the hot food. If it's not done to your liking add more liquid if needed, put the lid on and set it for a few more minutes to finish up.
Lots of recipes are in the pamphlet for pot roast and other traditional recipes in a hurry. This item does not heat up my kitchen the way cooking on the stove does so I can use it year-round. And, I'm finally using up those frozen meats that have been waiting for me to thaw them out for a "planned" meal.
on March 31, 2001
I love the new pressure cookers, but it seems I'm always burning stuff while bringing them up to pressure on my electric range. I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of non-stick programmable models, and I bought this one moments after I learned of its existence. I love it! I always brown my onions and stuff first, and this cooker makes it very easy to do so. Plus, no more constantly listening or looking to make sure the pressure isn't too high or too low. Set it and forget it! My only complaint is that the cord is very short; because steam softly flows out of it while cooking, I prefer to place it on the stove, underneath the hood fan, so I have to use an extension cord to do so. I wish I could afford to give one of these to every cook I know!
on July 19, 2002
Sure, you can live without Farberware's programmable electric pressure cooker. I know I did. But now that I have one, I rather wonder how I did it.
Imagine, if you will, perfectly cooked black eyed peas from dry to dinner table in under 10 minutes. Old-fashioned "slow cook" grits in the morning in just 5 minutes. Or healthy brown rice cooked to perfection in 20 minutes. Yes, dear reader, these examples of kitchen magic can be yours with the Farberware programmable electric pressure cooker.
Okay, sarcasm aside, this baby really works, and works well. And the best part? The programmability. Literally, it's set it and forget it (with apologies to Ron Popeil for that remark).
I don't know about your household, but in my home, temptations to go out for dinner win way too often, thanks to the time consuming nature of cooking a decent meal at home, not to mention the clean-up. But the Farberware excels here too. In addition to cutting prep time in half or more, the non-stick removeable interior makes clean-up a breeze. Even grits (which should be used in home construction instead of concrete) will loosen nicely with a short soak.
Perhaps the only thing about this appliance that gives it 4 stars instead of 5 relates also to clean-up... The lid can be a terrible cleaning job, depending on the messiness of what you just cooked. With its various valves, multiple layers, and lack of disassembly ability, it can be a real job.
Still, the FPC400 gets a strong recommendation from me and all the members of my household. If you have limited room to house a growing collection of small appliances, liquidate some of your others in a garage sale and make room for this honey. You'll be glad you did.
on July 14, 2000
My son married two months ago and he received the pressure cooker for a wedding present. His wife cooked a meat stew with only 1/2 a cup of cooking wine, potatoes and carrots, salt and pepper. Time to cook only 25 minutes. The flavor was unbelievable. Of course, my daughter and I wanted to buy one each. We asked where the present had been purchased,and we were unable to find it anywhere at the stores where they had their bridal registries. To make a long story short, after searching the web at most of the kitchen appliance e-stores, where we were unable to find them, I realized that Amazon.com always satisfied my whims, and of course, there (Kitchen)I found it. Only a penny over the regular price shown in the bridal registry, but no taxes. So, once again, thank you Amazon.com!
on January 24, 2003
I own 3 pressure cookers, a 22 qt canner, an 8 quart Magafesa (ranked #1 by Cooks Magazine) and this Farberware FPC400 Programmable. The Faberware is my favorite. Why? Well, I was skeptical at first. I already owned a couple of pressure cookers. A pressure cooker website I visited didn't have anything positive to say about the programmables; yet, I loved what a pressure cooker could do. I hated "babysitting" the pressure regulator on my stove top ones. So I bought the Farberware FPC400 and am thrilled with the programming capabilities.
I have teenage children. Most dinner hours will find me in the car picking up and dropping them off for their after-school activities. I can't be home to cook dinner so I've resorted to timer bake, crock pots, and fast dinners. Here's a typical quick meal for my family. In the 20 minutes I might be home to prepare dinner before heading out I brown a couple of chicken breasts IN THE PRESSURE COOKER POT by pressing BROWN and then the START button. In seconds the pot is sizzling the chicken. I might add onions or other vegetables. I throw in some water or broth, add a few seasonings, put the lid on, set it for PRESSURE COOK (including time) and leave. If I know I'll be gone longer than the actual cooking time, then I also program it to WARM. It will keep the food as warm for as long as I need it to. I come home to a dinner that tastes like I started it in a crock pot 8 hours earlier! My kids love it! Think of it as crock pot flavor combined with microwave speed!
I find the pot very easy to clean. It has a good quality non-stick surface. You can't put it in the dishwasher, but it is simple to wash out the interior. I only dirty one pot because all the preparation and cooking is done in the same pot. To get the same results in a crock pot, I would need a frying pan and the crock pot.
I have a family of 5. I purchased the 4 quart. It's expensive and I couldn't see the need for the 8 quart pot. NowI wish I'd bought the 8 quart. Pressure cookers can only hold about half their actual volume, so a 4 quart is really producing only a 2 quart or at best 3 quart volume. To get by this, I've been preparing most of th meal in the pressure cooker, but eliminating anything that can be done in a few minutes at the end. One example is the soup above. I would reduce the volume of water until after everything is cooked, then add the additional water and finish the soup on BROWN. It will boil the soup quickly. You must not remove all the water. You need at least a half of a cup to safely use it.
My advise, buy it and give it a try. It's my favorite appliance.
on March 23, 2001
I am in love with an appliance! My Farberware pressure cooker is the best appliance in my kitchen (short of my dishwasher, of course). This one does it all, making pressure cooking virtually effortless. It has a browning feature, so you can brown your meats right in the pot, and the programmable controls allow you to tell it exactly what you want (high or low pressure, cooking time, even delay time), and it does the rest - no need to adjust the heat under the pot to maintain correct pressure. It does everything for you. It is quite simple to adapt any recipe for use in the cooker once you have a little experience with it. I had never owned a pressure cooker before, and found this one very easy to learn to use. I cook in it 4-5 times a week with great results (and I am very fussy). Imagine beef bourguignon, corned beef or pot roast in just an hour! This is a fabulous product.
on September 30, 2002
I read lots of happy reviews before purchasing this pressure cooker, but they were all about cooking meats. I wanted to cook tastier vegetarian dishes without the usual blandness, and it has not let me down. It's my new "fast food" and it is a life saver. I throw in brown rice, dry or canned legumes (lentils, black beans, chick peas, etc), slow-cooking vegetables & spices. Then I set the timer and come back a half hour later to a hot, tasty & nutritious meal that my kids will actually eat. (only ten minutes pressure cooking time plus the time until you can open the lid). The nonstick surface wipes off in seconds and that's it! If it tastes this good with simple ingredients, imagine how good it would be with a gourmet recipe. I recommend this machine to anyone who eats; meat or otherwise.
on January 20, 2002
I can't say enough good things about this pressure cooker. For New Year's Eve I made Black-Eyed Peas (New Orleans staple) in 4 minutes after soaking for 4 hours. Just tonight I made the most delicious and moist pork roast. Covered it with cut up pears & little bit of chicken stock cooked for 12 minutes= added some cut up sweet potatoes cooked for another 7 minutes and dinner is done. The roast was so moist you could cut it with a fork. I was a little hesitant about ordering one because of all those stories of them blowing up but I've had such great luck with anything Farberware makes I thought I'd give it a try. Well, when I tell you cooking with this programmable pressure cooker is goofproof....I'm not kidding. The first meal I made in it came out perfect and so has every meal since than. Thank you Farberware for a fantastic product...