Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Farberware FSC600 6-Quart Oval Slow Cooker
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 9, 2002
I bought this unit as a replacement for a Rival programmable cooker that came with a non-fit cover and punched out 'feet'. The Farberware slow cooker has been a delight to use. I have made beef stew, baked beans, soup and even a sinfully moist chocolate cake. Each recipe turned out beautifully. The cover is a tight fit and the metal ring around the rim assures a vapor seal, preventing moisture loss. Of particular note are the settings: Low, High and Auto. The Auto function heats the unit to the High setting and then automatically shifts to the Low setting. This assures a quick heating of the unit and discourages the possibility of food contamination from bacteria. Aesthetically, the cooker will look great on your counter with its polished steel body and sleek black insert. One word of caution, however: the outside does get hot so you will want to keep it out of the reach of the kids. The handles stay cool, but if you have to move it, you may want to use hot pads just to be safe .
0Comment|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2001
This slow cooker is one of the best that I've ever owned. The six quart capacity makes it easy to cook large pieces of meat such as a large pot roast and even a whole small sized chicken. I love the oval shape because you don't have to pile everything on top of each other. This product is also very attractive with the silver base and black stoneware liner. It also has three temperature settings; high, low and auto. I find the auto feature to be very helpful. It will start the cooker on the high setting, then it will automatically lower down to the low setting, cutting your cooking time down . Other slow cookers that I've owned only had either high or low settings. As far as cleaning goes, the stoneware liner was very easy to clean. I thought the outside would be a little hard to clean because of the silver, but it is very easy. All I have to do is wipe it with a damp cloth and it looks good as new. I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a high quality slow cooker.
0Comment|142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2003
I just got this slow cooker a day ago. I would agree that the unit makes a horrid smell when you first use it. It gives off a burnt electrical smell. I had followed the instructions and heated the unit with 4 cups of water before I used it. The smell went away by the second time that I used it. My food was cooked perfectly.
I was disappointed in the amount of recipes that came with the unit.... a measley 10. I bought a slow cooker recipe book to compensate for this.
I would also agree that the unit gets very hot to the touch. However, this is also stated in the instruction manual.
The instruction manual is very detailed on care of the crock itself. The crock was not built for sudden temperature changes. It warns not to place in frozen food. It also warns not to store the crock in the refrigerator then immediately use it. I would suggest reading the directions carefully before you use this item. It might save you some headaches in the long run.
The good thing about this slow cooker is that it does not take up a lot of counter space. The tall oval design allows you to cook family sized meals in a small space. I have a large family and these can handle approximately two roasters or a really nice sized pot roast.
The auto feature allows the food to cook quickly then switch to low. This helps prevent food-borne bacteria. This is a big plus.
All in all, this is a good crock pot. It does need some minor upgrades to make it a 5. A better recipe book and a cool touch feature would make it even that much better.
on October 12, 2005
I tried two other slow cookers before this one. The others cooked too hot and the meals were horrible. This one cooks perfectly. I just made "Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings" from a recipe by that famous soup company and the food was great! Everyone in my family just loved it. I recommend this slow cooker highly.
on December 20, 2005
In the past we have been Rival slow cooker users...no more.....

I had to replace my old one and it did not do well at all!!

I was shocked.............threw it away....bought a Farberware

and let me tell you ----- this one is wonderful.......it has 3

different settings and cooks vegetables as well as meat to

perfection.........I have used slow cookers for over 25 years

and would highly recommend this product!!!!!
on December 24, 2001
We wanted to get a another crockpot but it was sold out and we ended up with this faberware 6qt. We love it. There's plenty of room for a big roast beef, but someone else said the sides get hot and it's true. Even on low heat,
it's chrome so it gets hot. But overall a great purchse. Easy to clean too.
on August 26, 2006
This thing works great. It cooks slowly what else? I put roasts, ribs, pork shoulder, anything that needs a long time to cook, and 6-7 hours later its done. I work nights and I start the dinners in the morning and by dinnertime my family has a great hot meal. They are shocked at how tender and delicious tough cuts of meat become. They just have a hard time not lifting the lid to dig in before its done! I don't require any fancy attachments for it yet, so I am totally satisfied. Recommended by Cook's Illustrated and rightly so.
on March 17, 2003
I recently purchased this slow cooker and have tried several recipes in it so far. Every recipe has turned out great. The size is especially nice - I have used it to cook meals for 6+ people and have had plenty of room.
I totally recommend this cooker - I have always been thrilled with Farberware items and this is no exception.
on December 30, 2003
I bought this slow cooker about two years ago. After reading the reviews, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this machine gets too hot! I guess other slow cooker don't get that hot? I'm not sure since this is the only one I've owned.
Also, I found that even though I follow the recommended cooking time with all the recipes I've tried, most of the meats finish quick. I've talked to my mom about it, and I honestly think that the low 200-degree setting is higher than 200 degrees. I've never cooked anything on high, but I really think the low setting is messed up.
Over all, I've never had disastrous results with this machine. However, since there are other cookers on the market, I won't buy this Farberware one again.
on February 21, 2005
I returned this the day it arrived. I heated the obligatory 4 cups of water as per instructions. Left the room and came back in 20 minutes. The warning light was not lit. I moved the crock to the side to see if I had not properly plugged it in since the light was out. I brushed my hand against the exterior lip and received a first degree burn. Farberwear company customer service said "the light is a little dim" but you should be able to see it. Yes, you can see it if you look up from below the crockpot you will see a faint glow. The crock pot sits very loosely in its container leaving a large gap between the food container and the heater housing.Heat escapes through these gaps which accounts for the overheated exterior. I would advise those with kids, especially, to find another slow cooker.