5.0 out of 5 stars A very important book
I have been thinking about this book more and more ever since I saw the rascist, effusive film "Snow Falling on Cedars". My big gripe with that film was that it made the Japanese Americans look so weak and helpless without white people to rescue them from their predicament.
For those of you who disagreed with my review of that film, I strongly urge you...
Published on May 21, 2000 by C. Colt

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad personal story of a Japanese American family
I read this book for literature class in the seventh grade. Although it wasn't my favorite book it was informative. The book told of events in the US during World War II. Many Japanese American families were forced to live in internment camps away from the coast. The author of this book and her family were sent to Manzanar in California. The FBI thought the father may...
Published on November 23, 1999 by quattrin

‹ Previous | 124 25 2630 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Classroom reading -- the business office likes everything the teachers want., September 6, 2013
This review is from: Farewell to Manzanar (Paperback)
Please stop sending these requests for reviews. We ordered a classroom set, so obviously the teacher thinks it's valuable reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't actually read it..., November 11, 2012
This review is from: Farewell to Manzanar (Paperback)
I am giving this a 5 star rating only on the basis that everything came in a timely manner and that everything was as indicated. This was bought for a co-worker's kid's class. It was a required book that the school appeared to have run out of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchase used book. Good quality, September 3, 2010
I purchased this used book and got it in the mail 4 or 5 days after my purchase. The book quality is good as listed on the profile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, September 1, 2009
This review is from: Farewell to Manzanar (Hardcover)
I read this book back in 2000 and i loved it. I recently read it again in two days. There was no need to seclude the Japanese-Americans just because the emperor of Japan gave orders to bomb Pearl Harbor. The Japanese came to America to have a better life but ended up being discriminated against. I am so glad Mrs. Houston wrote this book. She told her story in a very mature, sophisticated manner. I loved how she captured evry detail of Manzanar from the barracks, to the people, the land, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great service, September 15, 2008
I bought this book for my sister so I don't know how it is but it came in good condition it took a long time to arrive though alot longer than I thought we went to the beach and back before the book got here

3.0 out of 5 stars fare well to manzanar review, November 2, 2006
A Kid's Review
I think this book was an okay book because and the beginning it really kept me wanting to read it but toward the end it got more and more sort of boring. My favorite part was when Jeanne went to the cemetery because it really felt like I was really there. The way she described how the wind was blowing. How the kids were not old enough to respect the cemetery etc. over all I would give this book 3 stars because it was kind of boring.

2.0 out of 5 stars Farwell to Manzanar was BORING!, October 27, 2006
A Kid's Review
The book had a few good parts but over all it was a snooze.Thought it gave great detail it wasnt every exciting and it didnt really pull me in.Generally when reading a book it usually makes you want to never put it down, well when reading Manzanar I could care less if I ever got to read it again! This book was a good historical fiction but obviously was mean't to be a thriller.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, October 26, 2006
A Kid's Review
I really didn't get the book at all and it was hard to follow. I had know idea what was going on at all and it was complete pointless and it bored me out of my mind. I also didn't like how it would start with one event any skip on to another one.

2.0 out of 5 stars review 2, October 26, 2006
A Kid's Review
Farewell to Manzanar was a cool book, because this book tells what people did with the Japanese during World War II. No wonder we never heard of them during the time. I mostly just heard about the Jews. I would have to say that I agree with Tay on that chapter 22, ten thousand voices. That chapter was so long they might as well call it "ten thousand pages". Seriously, I'm sorry Mr. F, but I was about to fall out, if I read one more page of farewell to Manzanar. Until I understood what the chapter meant: Jeanne wakatsuki Houston had a family: a husband and 3 kids, was it?

4.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to Manzanar Review, March 30, 2005
A Kid's Review
I read the book Farewell to Manzanar. I think it was a good book for a couple reasons. One reason was it felt like you were part of the family. Another reason was that the author described it in detail. This is a book for a girl to read not a boy. I give it four out of five stars. It was a good book.

Daniel Holland

‹ Previous | 124 25 2630 | Next ›

Farewell to Manzanar
Farewell to Manzanar by James D. Houston (Hardcover - April 29, 2002)
$16.00 $12.97