ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2009 4:41:02 AM PST
While I am a big fan of the original The Day The Earth Stood Still, and have been since its release way back when; I think someone should take the chance of developing a movie treatment on which the film is supposedly based: Farewell to The Master. I think that it would make a terrific movie, if done correctly. Neither of the 2 movies have anything to do with this great short story.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2009 9:59:23 PM PDT
The original version is, in my opinion, a good adaptation of the basic plot of the original. The ship lands and immediately K gets shot (and killed). G then resurrects him and the ship leaves. The original story would only be good for a 30 minute (or less) TV Episode. The original movie just padded the plot out to 100 minutes and moved some of the plot to towards the end (and dropped the middle of the story with the cloned animals/etc.). Even the story's Punch-Line ending is there in a slightly altered for (ie: The robots are the Masters of the Universe not K's Race).

Posted on May 4, 2009 3:37:31 AM PDT
Klatu is NOT immediately killed when he leaves the ship in the original movie. He is wounded, yes, but he recovers quickly and escapes to live among the people in the rooming house and visits the top scientist of the day, a character obviously based on Einstein. He is shot again and dies, leading to the famous scene where Patricia Neal says "Gort! Klatu mirrada nikto!". I will say again: Read 'Farewell To The Master'. And while you are at it, read the history of the making of the first film. The plot was basically discarded and a new on written. It has nothing at all to do with the short story.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 1:18:09 PM PDT
My comments were about the plot of the story - He is shot as soon as he steps out of his ship. I have read the story and have a copy that I read every once in a while. As I noted, the major events of the story exist in the movie (except for the reporter and his monitoring of Gord [Gort in the movie]). I also stand by my comment that the story if filmed faithfully and not padded with extra plot would be no longer than 30 (60 at most) minutes (and make a good Outer Limits or Twilight Zone episode).

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 2:10:41 PM PDT
I, also have a copy, which i do read from time to time. It does not at all resemble the movie. The replication of deceased people, which are central to the plot, are not ever covered. And don't that, because Klatu is brought back to life at the end, this covers the replication factors, it does not. Klatu, as I said before, is shot as he steps out of the ship, but does NOT die. He is taken to a hospital and recovers. He is shot again towards the end of the film. This time he succumbs. Gort brings him back, temporarily we are lead to believe, on the ship. If they could make a film out of Old Man and The Sea, they could do it with this film. There is a long history of movies being made from short stories. Nothing says that a movie has to be over two hours long. Maybe it would be a bit to intellectual for the general public, but so are a lot of movies. I have been watching movies for sixty years, and have come to understand that the movie business can generally do whatever it puts it's collective minds to.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2009
Latest post:  May 4, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions