5.0 out of 5 stars Review by [...]., April 19, 2010
Length:: 2:19 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars An education and a joy to cook from, June 29, 2010
cheesedoodle (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
This book is a delight in every way -- as beautiful to look at as it is rewarding to cook with. Jennie is a warm and wonderful guide through the bounty of the farmer's market. Her recipe ideas are at once comforting and novel. Whether you like the old, traditional stand-bys or prefer a more adventurous approach, you will find much to enjoy in this book. Her peach pie recipe is nothing short of spectacular, deserving of its first-place award. Her cornmeal cake with fresh corn and raspberries is a revelation, and I have gotten many, many compliments from guests whenever I've served it. The chocolate cake that uses grated beets for depth and moisture is delicious. The dark chocolate bark is a wonderful way to use some of the more exotic fruits and nuts I like to try at our market. So far, our favorite version combines dried pluots, mangos, and walnuts, drizzled with white chocolate.

What I like best about these recipes is Jennie's meticulous and thorough approach to writing recipes. If she suggests a certain method or procedure, you don't have to worry about trying it -- it WILL work. This kind of care ensures that both novice and experienced cooks alike will get outstanding results. Which is why I'm looking forward to many, many more of her cookbooks in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for average cook and even better for gifts, June 22, 2010
Philip Cooper (Palm Springs, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
I've made several of the deserts in this book already and all have turned out to be both different and delicious, not always the case at my house. Some of the ingredients are not readily available in the California desert, but most are and there are ideas on substitutions. It's also beautifully done, with great pictures and interesting asides on ingredients.

Better yet, I've given several for summer birthday presents and everyone is loving the book. And I'm getting the credit. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a keeper, July 17, 2010
Eve (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
I don't know if I've ever had a cookbook before where I wanted to make 100% of the recipes, but this is just such a book. I already love fruit (and desserts) and didn't know I needed a reason to eat more of them, but this book is full of inventive new things to make from fruits, nuts, and even vegetables from the farmers market. The book is beautiful, full of tempting photos, and the recipes are detailed and reliable. There's a lot of interesting text about different produce, where it comes from, how to choose it and use it. The writing is informative and a pleasure to read. I've kept this book on my bedside table and have read all the way through it.

So far I've made the Roasted Peach Melba (twice), the Black and Blue Buckle, the Cherry-Chocolate Chunk Cookies, and the Rhubarb, Blueberry & Cream Parfaits. Next up I want to make the Goat Yogurt Panna Cotta with Balsamic Strawberries, the Aprium Almond Tart, and the Strawberry Buckwheat Tea Cake. When the seasons change, I am looking forward to Fresh Fig Bars and Persimmon Swirl Cheesecake in a Gingersnap Crust. There is a chapter that uses vegetables in desserts, such as avocado in a pudding, and a chocolate bundt cake with both shredded beets and zucchini. There's also a great-looking cheese plate with homemade crackers alongside honeycomb from the farmers market -- honeycomb is something I've never purchased (since I wasn't sure what I'd do with it) but now look forward to. There are a ton of appealing recipes in this book, and I am determined to make each and every one of them.

One nice feature is that almost every recipe has an accompanying note entitled "Season To Taste," which lists ingredient substitutes (in case, say, you can't find the plum or apricot called for). This makes every recipe more do-able no matter what your farmers market offers, and increases the number of variations you can make.

I have a lot of baking books and produce-focused cookbooks, and lots of recipes for using fruit, but this book is not a repeat of anything I already have. I'm really glad I bought it. This is a book I'm going to enjoy for a long, long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, June 9, 2010
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
I am an absolute fan of Jennie Schacht's writing and was thrilled to get my hands on this book. I've already created several desserts from the book and was inspired to come up with a few of my own after running to the farmers market to gather ingredients. My family is a fan of everything I've cooked from the book, I feel more inspired to form relationships with my local farmers, and I can't wait until summer is in full swing to dirty even more pages with smatterings of berries and batter! If you get a chance check out the interview with Jennie on the SFWineChef podcast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and delicious!, July 15, 2010
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
Jennie Schacht's "Farmers' Market Desserts" is filled with inspiring photographs of fresh fruits and farmers' market treats, as well as the desserts it offers up. It has a chart of the peak US growing season for a wide range of produce from almonds to figs, melons to zucchini. And the recipes come with plenty of suggestions for substituting alternate fruits should the one you want not be in perfect condition on a given week.

Recipes are organized largely by season, and the individual recipes are listed in the table of contents, making them very easy to find. "Blushing Stone Fruits" includes such delights as Roasted Peach Melba, Deep-Dish Sour Cherry Pie, and a lovely Chilled Plum Soup with Sour Cream (Ms. Schacht notes that it's quite good made with peaches too, and oh my is she right). "A Basket of Berries" will lead you to a Goat Yogurt Panna Cotta with Balsamic Strawberries (the panna cotta's super-creamy texture and mildly tangy taste are delightful, and it's incredibly easy to make).

In "The Autumn Harvest" there are plenty of apple, pear, and fig recipes. "Brilliant Winter Citrus" includes a "Tangerine-sicle Ice Cream" that I can't wait to try. There's a chapter that makes use of vegetables and tropical fruits, including a dessert pudding using avocado. The next chapter takes advantage of all the natural sweet things you'll find at the market--honey, maple syrup, and jam (Maple Syrup Coffee Pots de Creme!). Finally, you'll find a chapter of desserts that take advantage of dried fruits, nuts, and herbs.

The book wraps up with a list of sources and resources for unusual ingredients and equipment, some tips on finding your local farmers' markets, and a good index. The book does a great job of laying flat and staying open. The photos are gorgeous and colorful, the pages are glossy and stand up well to use, and the layout of the recipes is clear and easy to read. So far we haven't come across any mistakes in the recipes.

[NOTE: review book (published 2010) provided by Chronicle Books]

5.0 out of 5 stars luscious fruit desserts, June 9, 2010
Sara Goepfrich (Mishawaka, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
This cookbook is an inspiration for anyone who wants to bake luscious and beautiful fruit desserts, using fresh ingredients from the farmers market. Jennie Schacht has a talent for creating unique and easy-to-follow dessert recipes for every season. The book has very helpful information for all levels of baking expertise. I heartily recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I've decided to make dessert instead of buying it, June 1, 2010
Sandra Hudson (Half Moon Bay CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
This is the type of cookbook you want to read cover to cover, as if it were a lovely story with gorgeous images, which it is. Jennie shares so much more than just recipes. She encourages the support of local farm markets because they offer the best of the best. She suggests the use of seasonal produce at its peak, instead of settling for out-of-season tastes that are decidedly second-rate. She details the provenance of many fruits and vegetables, bringing her readers closer to the source of our food, which is a vital education for us all.

Then there are the recipes themselves. Who would ever have thought that corn and raspberries could combine into a sublime, not-too-sweet cake that needs only a dollop of fresh whipped cream to transport one to dessert nirvana? Chocolate cherry cupcakes are not to be missed. The frosting alone is a revelation. So simple and unexpected! I wager it will become a favorite. This book deserves a place in your culinary library, and these delights are guaranteed to become stars in your dessert repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars best thank-you-for-your-hospitality gift EVER, August 30, 2010
K. Fagan (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
As I've traveled this summer, visiting friends & family in several states, I've gifted the host/hostess "Farmers Market Desserts" to those I know love great food, dessert-making, and the freshest possible produce from farmers markets and their own trees, bushes, gardens. Every giftee has been delighted -- most tune everybody out for awhile, unable to put it down! The concept and execution, fabulous photography + loads of interesing information + the author's conversational style make this a real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 1, 2014
This review is from: Farmers' Market Desserts (Perfect Paperback)
Great, fresh recipes and photography. Very inspiring. Create something special with easy to find ingredients.

Farmers' Market Desserts
Farmers' Market Desserts by Jennie Schacht (Perfect Paperback - April 28, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01