Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon February 16, 2013
I love the Hensons work and I love sci-fi shows, so I thought Farscape would be a slam dunk. However, the show just feels amateurish. The acting is at times cringe-worthy, even worse than the old Star Treks. However, what really undermines the show for me is the pacing. Especially during the first season, it's really slow. The pacing and editing drag the story down rather than give it energy. I found myself getting distracted while watching the show.

The dialogue is pretty straightforward - with a few exceptions, nothing memorable or witty. D'argo is like a Klingon, but without the rich cultural layers and energy. Zhaan is sometimes interesting, sometimes boring. Crichton is a bit too much the "all-American" with goofy references to pop culture. Aeryn Sun's character had potential as a former soldier adjusting to life amongst the crew. But so far I haven't fallen in love with any of the characters. There's no Data or Worf from TNG.

That said, I have to admit the special effects are pretty good. The show uses muppets and makeups to create a much more bizarre world than anything found in Star Trek.

I tried Farscape because of all of the positive reviews. I watched 2 seasons but I just don't have enough time in my life to give it a chance when there's little room for hope based on what I've seen so far.
55 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2013
I've enjoyed FarScape thoroughly through the years it was playing, so I decided to share this series with a good friend. We sat down to watch it, and the lack of quality was evident immediately -- and this on BluRay! I'm afraid to think of what it was like on DVD! (Heard the DVD version doesn't have subtitles. The BR version's subtitles are ... clumsy, with typos, oversized print in the way of the image... If this wasn't coming from Amazon, I'd have accused it of being a well-packaged bootleg!

I've returned it and strongly recommend that you save yourself the annoyance. The show was awesome. These reproductions are horrible. The quality was FAR better when it was airing originally, on CRT TV!

Yes, the quality ruins it. It's hard to enjoy it when it's coming off out of focus and pixelating, when subtitles have misspelled words, etc. Shame they couldn't even manage to transfer it to disk properly. For the price, I'm sure they could.
on June 13, 2012
Rounding out my collection with some military and sifi stuff that you can watch repeatedly.... This was a strange space sifi series that was underrated and way ahead of its time... Maybe a little too far ahead... I'm a little disappointed with this particular collection product... The folks that put these DVDs together have a couple of the series out of sync on the Season III Disc and the collection is not subtitled.... No closed captions... What's up with that... I'm deaf and rely on subtitles to keep from constantly turning the volume up during close personal scenes and scrambling to turn it down during action scenes. I watched this series when it originally came out back in the day and had forgotten how you love to hate each character... Antiheros all with Officer Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black) the exception... Strange but entertaining... Regardless my disappointment with this particular purchase... Amazon and it's dealers are great.. Fast shipping.. Great prices....
on August 1, 2014
My only beef, is with the Blu-Ray maker-people.
This is an AWESOME SHOW, but the Quality of the Blu-Rays is Absolute GARBAGE. I was better-off keeping my damn DVDs....

4:3 ratio is for people from the 1920s, with Tube-TVs, no bigger than 6".

This is the FUTURE, people. We DESERVE 1920x1080 Widescreen Video ! ! !
Did we get it?

HELL NO. This is like the "FLCL" blu-ray all over again...

Only the 4th season was 1920.. What kind of customer raping grabge is that!?
on September 10, 2011
Did you ever try to lip-read a Jim Henson puppet speaking with a British accent?

The only reason I give it as many as 2 stars is that it is a great show. I enjoyed it when it was first broadcast because I still had some hearing left and there were closed captions on the broadcasts. Without closed captions, it is a waste of my time.

On the box and each of the 5 DVD holders, the closed caption logo is displayed. The Amazon description and the NewMedia (distributor) website description both clearly state that closed captioning is included. I played several of the discs on various players and computers, to determine if it were a problem with my equipment. Closed captions are NOT available.

Then I noticed that it was an A&E TV production. I have run into the same false information on their other videos. They also heavily censor when they actually do provide closed captioning on other shows.

Also, the aspect ration is 4:3, not 16:9.
on September 8, 2014
It was shipped fast but NOT wide screen. I've only been through 3 disks for the first season and I have to stretch my screen. I still love the series though.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2011
This is from Blu-Ray.com

Farscape: The Complete Series Blu-ray, Video Quality
3.0 of 5

Farscape is presented on Blu-ray courtesy of A&E with AVC encoded 1080p transfers in 1.33:1 for the series' first three seasons and 1.78:1 for the last season. Farscape was filmed in Australia and presented there in the PAL standard. The series' creators are insisting that the 35mm prints are nowhere to be found, plus the visual effects were created in SD (meaning they'd have to be recreated for a true HD master), so this is an upconversion which unfortunately does not look great a lot of the time. I'd actually rank the 1.33:1 seasons at somewhere between a 2.5 and 3.0 and the fourth season moderately higher at between a 3.0 and 3.5, for an average score of 3.0. The image is frequently fuzzy, with less than appealing color and some very spotty contrast. The series is often quite dark, regularly taking place within Moya's labyrinthine confines, and crush is rampant throughout these sequences. Things have at least a moderate improvement in the final season of the series, though even at a wider aspect ratio, the image is still distressingly soft a lot of the time, with little of the pop that one would hope for with a series of this relatively recent vintage and one which boasts such an impressive production design and sometimes staggering visual effects. In fact it's the visual effects that probably come off best in the series, with the animated sequences of Moya or other interstellar sequences achieving a modicum of clarity and precision which the rest of this presentation lacks.
99 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2013
I'm a big fan of the Firefly series, Star Wars, Star Trek NG. I love science fiction, and my enjoyment bar is pretty low. But after watching the first three episodes of this series, I'm really disappointed. The main characters don't have any charisma, or likeability. All of the aliens are humanoids, with weird make-up and appendages ala Star Trek, or else Muppets, and they look like Muppets. There is no suspension of belief. The sets are lame, and the overall production values are low. Also, can we put the American flag on the correct arm of Chrichton? I would say it's an Australian error, but lots of Americans make the same error. Anyway, details like that are so distracting. This show is for children, who get excited about Muppets. The only deaths in the show have been off camera, out of focus events. I gave it two stars because it's science fiction, and I love science fiction. My recommendation for science fiction adults is, don't bother.
on February 11, 2012
Product Details

Actors: Ben Browder, Claudia Black, Anthony Simcoe
Writers: Rockne S. O'Bannon
Format: AC-3, Box set, NTSC, Widescreen
Language: English
Subtitles: English
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
Number of discs: 20
Rated: PG (Parental Guidance Suggested)
Studio: A&E Entertainment
DVD Release Date: November 15, 2011
Run Time: 4086 minutes

Well, as you see above it said "Widescreen" format. I'm on season 3, and so far, its been all full screen! On Blu-Ray? Full screen on a Wide Screen Plasma doesn't work for me. Thank god my Panasonic has other setting I used to make it better, but why should I have too! The package doesn't say either way, and no one else has complained about this this so maybe I have a bad set of discs. As far as the audio, it's outstanding "DTS". They did a very nice job on it, too bad about the full screen video.
on September 10, 2012
The title says Blu-Ray, but in the Product Details, it says NTSC. Which is it? Some of the reviews said the quality was'nt Blu-Ray quality. So I'm going to assume it's not true Blu-Ray.