Which is exactly what I did!

I don't know Sally and I purchased her book right here in Amazon on referral from some old colleagues. So this review is the real deal, folks.

Published on February 26, 2010 by Julia C. Perry

Published on August 9, 2010 by John G. Jazwiec

5.0 out of 5 stars A book called Fascinate fails if you aren't compelled to read it in one sitting, February 26, 2010
Julia C. Perry (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fascinate: Your 7 Triggers to Persuasion and Captivation (Hardcover)
Which is exactly what I did!

FASCINATE is a compelling journey into method and madness of persuasion. The concept is that whether you are pitching a new client, inviting a friend to lunch, luring a cranky toddler to sleep, or marketing a product, you are using triggers to elicit a certain response. Sally has narrowed these down to 7 (power, trust, mystique, prestige, vice, alarm and lust) and the book demonstrates and explains how dialing these triggers up and down can help you more effectively influence your relationships.

The book is divided into three parts. The first part uses lots of dare I say it ... fascinating examples ... of how fascination factors into key world events and even human development. It's a page-turner. The second part of the book reads more like your typical marketing book and won't be all that revolutionary to seasoned advertisers. But it does frame up basic motivators in a memorable way. The key take away from this section is that we are part of a fascination economy where companies and individuals that are fascinating or can make someone else feel fascinating as a result of their relationship with them will win. That's a concise bit of advice that can serve marketers, sales people, and anyone trying to persuade very well.

The third part of the book is probably my favorite. My number one pet peeve about business books is that they always promise to tell you how to be more successful but they never actually give you a formula for doing it. Sally gives her readers a clear plan for becoming more fascinating. I've already cracked the book open once this week when a concept we were planning to pitch to a client was falling just a little bit flat. I have a feeling I'll be doing that again and again.

For more on my thoughts on FASCINATE in the context of digital marketing, click here: [...]

Julia Perry
VP, Business Development
Something Massive

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns Out It's Not A Popularity Contest., February 9, 2010
It's a Fascination contest! And with this somewhat startling insight, a book is born. And it's a book that walks its talk. It is fascinating. It hits all the seven triggers of fascination, and it earns our attention through every fascinating page. But here's the really interesting thing - this book isn't fascinating just because it tries to be. True, the author is something of a virtuoso of fascinating, being one of the most awarded advertising copywriters ever, and well-known as one of the brightest and most successful charmers in any business. This is all good, but what's going on in this book is something more fascinating. Call it depth. It's a book that has done its homework. A book that is chock full of new stories, insights and intelligence for people whose lives and livelihoods depend on being a bit more fascinating. A book with ample handles for people who want to grab hold of the concepts and put them to work. I enjoyed finding out my F-score, for example, and learning my fascination strengths and weaknesses. At it's core, this book addresses a critically important issue. Since, in this world, the good and the right don't necessarily win, but the fascinating have an unfair advantage -- it's important for everyone who's trying to get anything good done to become more fascinating, to put these concepts and these tools to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven fascinate triggers that help marketers break through the clutter, February 9, 2010
I'm a marketer and I write marketing books, so I usually don't like to read titles in the genre, preferring things very different. However, I'm a sucker for anyone who has an interesting big-picture idea about how the world works. Better yet if the book is both applicable to marketers and in interesting read.

Sally Hogshead delivers with Fascinate, which reminds me of books like Seth Godin's Linchpin, the Heath brothers Made to Stick, and Malcolm Gladwell's books. She combines elements of psychology, sociology, neurology and illustrates with terrific stories.

Marketers like me know that there's a huge information glut today. As a marketer it is difficult to break through. But if we understand the seven fascinate triggers that Sally outlines in this book, we can create things that people will talk about and things that people will share with others. As a marketer, there is nothing better than when people share your ideas and tell your stories for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fascination - Thin Book With New Nomenclature For Marketing 101, August 9, 2010
Fascination's only surprise is it is not fascinating. The book is thin, not just in pages, but in saying anything new in marketing. Lust is just another word for sizzle. Mystique is just another word for teaser ads. Alarm is just another word for the power of being left out. Prestige is just another word for branding. Power is just another word for expertise. Vise is just another word for using the power of bathing suits selling Sports Illustrated. Trust is just another word for being reliable.

The author makes a valiant, but overly thin research of human behavior and anatomy to explain why these seven "fascinations" work in marketing.

But we all know they work. And we all know that some work better than others for selling different things. And while the author tries to tell us why they work, most of us have been taught they work by being consumers or taking a Marketing 101 book.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a good read but repeats what other have said many times, September 28, 2011
Felipe Korzenny (Tallahassee, Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
This is an interesting book but in my opinion it is highly repetitive of what many other business books address. Also, it uses social science ideas that have been around and used frequently to illustrate points. In my opinion it promises more than it delivers. Still, I am sure that for some people it is very informative.

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and Uninsightful, August 18, 2012
I read The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and loved it so much, that i purchased Fascinate as a recommended purchase for lovers of Habit. Boy, was the recommendation and all of the high-reviews for this book wrong and misleading. This book is fluff. It is repetitive and poorly written. Instead of providing core techniques or explaining the fundamentals of how something (be it brand, person, idea) fascinates, she just lists examples after examples. The book is one long ramble. I'm not looking for a how-to book, but I was looking for a new way to interpret the world and figure new ways to approach marketing my product and myself. For people who like pop-science or business books such as The Tipping Point, The Power of Habit, or Freakonimics----this book is not at that level. I'm so sorry that I purchased it as an e-book, b/c now I cannot return it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all fascinating, September 10, 2010
This book attempts to explain why we are fascinated by some people and some things, but not interested in other people and things. I was hoping to gain insight into what types of marketing works and what doesn't. What did I learn? Sex sells. This is not exactly breaking news.

Sally talks about 7 triggers for fascination:
**lust
**mystique
**alarm
**prestige
**power
**vice
**trust.

They almost sound like the 7 deadly sins, don't they?

A chapter is devoted to each trigger and Sally gives examples of each trigger type. For example, mystique is represented by Coke's secret ingredient.

I didn't really see how these examples translated into practical advice. This was more of a pop psychology book attempting to explain human behavior, than a marketing book that would tell you how to harness this behavior to sell your product.

I suppose if you like pop psychology you might like this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost in the examples, March 27, 2011
"Fascinate" is a mix of marketing, social psychology and behavioral case studies, all mixed in one. While the examples are interesting, I found the narrative to be wandering due to their excessive use - at times, it wasn't clear what the message is. Due to its nature, the examples and case studies are often stated as is, but with little or no further research into alternative explanations or checking of the results. Honestly, I would recommend Dan Ariely's "Predictably Irrational", or "Sway" by Ori Brafman instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ehhhh..., August 13, 2013
I have two issues with this book. One is that it is very long-winded and I often found myself looking back at long passages and wondering about the relevance and helpfulness of what I had just read. Secondly, the principles explained in this book are very similar to those spelled out by Cialdini in his book "Influence". This is not really a bad thing if you have never read Influence but also not terribly original.

If you are looking for ways to influence, persuade, captivate, or fascinate people this book will be helpful but I would suggest starting with Influence by Cialdini.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascination is as fascination does, February 10, 2010
Nick Morgan (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
As someone from the Northeast, I was pleased to learn from Sally Hogshead's new book that I lead a more fascinating life than folks in the rest of the country. At least, that's what she says, and I trust her to be right, because she's clearly done her homework at the same time as she's created a new category of thinking for advertisers, branders, PR folks, marketers -- anyone in the business of getting attention for themselves, their companies, or their products. The book is an extraordinary collection of insights, fresh thinking, pearls of wisdom, and funny asides. Hogshead is a very witty writer, and she manages to keep her text fascinating even as she's writing about the subject with clarity and verve. This is a brilliant book. Everyone except a handful of people who are already as fascinating as they need to be should read this book: President Obama, Drew Brees, and the late Marilyn Monroe come to mind. No doubt you can think of others.

Fascinate: Your 7 Triggers to Persuasion and Captivation
Fascinate: Your 7 Triggers to Persuasion and Captivation by Sally Hogshead (Hardcover - February 9, 2010)
$26.99 $18.65