Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on January 6, 2008
This book identifies some very good insights as to the possible thinking of the principle Biblical characters Charles Swendoll presents. Swendoll does a magnificant job of developing the story behind the story. In most cases' in the Bible, readers focus on the apparent discussion presented. Obviously, the scriputres were developed to search out happenstance and event. Swendoll does a great job of assisting the reader to consider other factors behind the principle objective. Swendoll is not distracting from the point of the Biblical account, rather he is offering the reader to look beyond and discover new and interesting accounts for application. I hightly recommend this book for the serious spirtual reader.
on August 15, 2006
Is there anyone who can make the Bible come more alive than Chuck Swindoll? Me thinks not!
In the latest installment in the Great Lives from God's Word Series, Chuck takes lives from God's words, some known and some rather obscure and puts them under the microscope; while in turn pointing out applicable spiritual truths for 21st century lives. Very readable and highly recommended.
on December 8, 2008
Having read almost all of Charles Swindoll's "Great Lives" series, I rate this one as excellent as the rest. What I like about this book is that he incorporates negative characters. There is as much to be learned from the not-so-great lives, I think, as there is from the great ones.
on September 13, 2009
I was a chaplain in Afghanistan for the past 15 months. I used this book as my basis for Bible Studies in at least 4 Forward Operating Bases and the feedback was overwhelming. I bought a book for every participant. The material lends itself to a study lasting about 60-75 minutes and the personnel loved studying both famous and obscure Bible characters of the Old Testament and the great life lessons it provided.

I recommend this book as a basis of Bible Studies or a great read about Old Testament characters.
on December 18, 2015
Great book as expected from this author. Reading all in this series. This brought out more than we would know from just reading the Bible on our own. I highly recommend this series to anyone wanting to know more about how God used these people.
on December 16, 2009
Swindoll refers to this book as his study of significant "nobodies", which I suppose some of them are little known. But it is hard to call such figures as Abraham, Cain, Esau, Samuel, and Saul as "little known" or "nobodies", still I suppose it is nice to include them among such lesser known biblical figures such as Achan, Abigail, Absalom, Rehoboam, Jabez, Naaman, Gehazi, and Uzziah. Unlike the other books in this series, this is less biography of the characters and more lessons learned from their vignettes. I don't know that I'd call it a welcome break from the format of Swindoll's (great) series of books, but it still works, just not as well as the other books I've read.
on June 6, 2016
I love Charles Swindoll's Great Lives of God's Word series. This is another great book which unpacks a certain story centered around one Biblical figure and each chapter follows that model. Charles Swindoll does a fantastic job of writing about the practical application of what we can learn from their disobedience. A must-read for anyone learning to grow in their Christian walk.
on January 19, 2013
Some never thing that their life amounts to anything. But for good or evil it will count when we give account to God for how we lived our lives. Everything we do, good or bad, touches not only our future but all those around us.
on April 7, 2013
What a wonderful book! It was very enlightening. The author takes the stories of relatively unknown Biblical characters and makes life lessons that we can apply to our own lives. I would definitely recommend this read to anyone interested in the Bible.
on April 11, 2016
The book really opened my eyes regarding what God really wants in my life. It really pierce my heart to see that many great people failed as parents. It reminds me to really seek God while He can be found.