Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on October 14, 2011
My daughter has absolutely adored the first three Fashion Kitty books, But this one has been a disappointment. We could tell the moment she opened the book that it was different. The cute graphic drawings are gone for the most part, replaced with mostly text and a few comic book-type illustrations. We had to double-check to make sure this was by the same author as the first three. My daughter said the story isn't as good either - but I think she mostly misses the fun artwork. If there is a 5th Fashion Kitty book, let's hope there is a return to what made the books so enjoyable in the first place.
Fashion Kitty to the rescue! When the school t-shirt fashion show idea brings out an "evil mastermind" set on stopping Fashion Kitty, will she be able to foil his plan before it's too late or get caught in his string filled trap?

This is the first book I've read in the Fashion Kitty series, and I can see why this series is so popular. Fashion Kitty is hard not to love. In this particular story Fashion Kitty aka Kiki Kittie has to foil the plan on grouchy kitty, Leon Lambaster III, who's out to capture Fashion super hero, Fashion Kitty. Luckily Kiki is a well grounded, smart cat who doesn't fall for Leon's tricks and with the help of her real friends is able to stop Leon before it's too late.

Fashion Kitty and the B.O.Y.S. (Ball of Yellow String) is illustrated in a way that will appeal to young readers, as the story reads part like a book and part like a comic strip. Each page offers fun illustrations that not only adds to the story's fun feeling, but it makes it an engaging read even for the most reluctant young readers. I love that the back of the book offers some really fun activities that readers can do with the help of an adult like making a pillow case out of old shirts, a banner out of old shirts and a few other really fun ideas.

If you're looking for a fun, entertaining read I'd recommend picking up the newest Fashion Kitty book!
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2011
What do marshmallows, yellow string, the Eiffel tower and Super Sticky Spray have in common? Not much really, except that they all have a key role in Fashion Kitty and the B.O.Y.S (Ball of Yellow String (2011) by Charise Mericle Harper.

Fashion Kitty and the B.O.Y.S. is Fashion Kitty's fourth adventure, but it is my first experience with the fashion forward cat whose family has two secrets: (1) they have a pet mouse and (2) Kiki Kittie is now a superhero called Fashion Kitty.

Although the content is necessarily different, this book follows the tradition of Jeff Kinney's Wimpy Kid books (and even Brian Selznick and other books that I'm not as familiar with) in combining a written story with illustrated segments interspersed throughout the text.

The really nice thing about this book, being part of an established series, is that Harper does a good job bringing readers up to speed quickly. It was easy to read this book as a standalone without the earlier installments.

Apparently the earlier books in the series were more traditional graphic novels and some readers miss that format. I can't comment on that since I haven't read the other books, but I liked the text/image format. This could also be a good stepping stone to more text-based books for readers who are growing with the series, but it's really a matter of personal preference.

Harper's writing is clever with a bit of fairy tale quality--it's easy to imagine sitting around a story hour being told this story by the author instead of reading it as a book.

I like the emphasis on helping friends here and the illustrations are a lot of fun. Really, the whole premise is fun--a cat who is a superhero and helps cats with fashion emergencies? What's not to love? I was also happy to see the inclusion of a lot of boy characters instead of keeping the book girly and fashion-centric. Fashion does, obviously, play a role but it's also just a vehicle to help people out.

T-shirts and marshmallow art play a role in the story and Harper even provides craft ideas at the end of the book making this one the full package. With the humor, short chapters, and illustrations Fashion Kitty and the B.O.Y.S. is a great choice for fans of the series, reluctant readers, and anyone in between.

*A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher/author. (This is totally unrelated to the review and did not impact my opinion of the book, but thanks to Dema Neville for the lovely packaging of the said review copy which included the book as well as some marshmallows and yellow string--which as it turns out tie back to craft ideas at the back of the book.)
on December 18, 2011
My 5-year old daughter picked out this book on our Sunday trip to the bookstore. She loves kitties. She loves fashion. This book is perfect.

We started reading the book on the train ride home. I had to stop reading for a few moments and noticed that she was trying to sound out words and read ahead on her own. She ended up reading the next frame to me when I was able to get back to reading to her.

My daughter's class in school is learning to read, and she hasn't enjoyed the experience very much. This book is so appealing that it might make her really excited to start reading on her own. The graphic elements are accessible to someone just learning to read. The story is witty, the tone positive, and the pictures are adorable, but not "too cute".

We all *love* the book. I'll definitely have to get them all... for, um, my daughter, of course. ;)
on April 9, 2012
My 9 yr old loves these books. She cant wait to get them all. She loves cats, fashion, and reading. I love the comic aspect of them to keep it fun and interesting. Love love
on February 21, 2014
My 6 year old loved this book. She took it to school and her friends loved it. Have bought the next one for her
on February 11, 2015
Cool for it's intended seven year old reader