5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative book, an easy read with good photos.
I just received this book today and I am already impressed. Syuzi has a great chapter on how to use a DMM (digital multimeter), she even has a step by step proper placement of the probes to test for Voltage, Amps, Current and Ohms.

Book is full of very interesting projects with good step by step instructions and photos for each project.

I first came...
Published on July 7, 2008 by Sheila McLaughlin

1.0 out of 5 stars book falling apart
When I received this book it was literally falling apart. The glue in the spine did not work. Also because of the odd size of the book, I could not put it in a three binder.I have this book with all the pages falling out. Also found the instructions limited.
Published on December 1, 2010 by carlina

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative book, an easy read with good photos., July 7, 2008
This review is from: Fashioning Technology: A DIY Intro to Smart Crafting (Craft: Projects) (Paperback)

I first came across Syuzi on TV, she was on Craftlab (HGTV). I decided to try one of the projects she demonstrated on the program. It was the "Rock N Roll" speakers, she covers them in this book starting on page 149. The speaker project was fun to do and turned out well. I actually made the speakers for my Grandson.

If you enjoy crafting are willing to learn simple electronics, Syuzi will get you hooked on "smart crafting". Every time I think of a new project, I now find myself trying to incorporate some form of electronics into my work.

I am definitely impressed with Syuzi's book, she has a gift for teaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars e-textiles for Dummies, November 1, 2008
This book is the best introduction into basic electronics, basic sewing and the high class of e-textile technology. Want to know how textile resistors work? Want to see how the connect electronic components to textiles? Just check out this book, everything clearly described for beginners with lists of resources, overviews with easy explained electronic terms and principles. For he more advanced e-textile experts this book serves as excellent source of inspiration using many examples from clothing over accessories and toys to home decoration to show the potential e-textile technologies open up to creative minded DIY enthusiasts.

It's a page turner for crafters looking for the unconventional, the unique and unexplored world of fashion+technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars creative project concepts, July 12, 2008
This book is filled with so many ideas for useful fun projects. I am not a techy person but love new materials. Each project is explained in great detail so that it is hard to make a mistake and easy to learn. I also love the style, characters and designs that Syuzi has created. I am recommending it to my students as a fun way to learn the basics of new materials and technologies.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's like a cyberpunk genre mashup, September 3, 2010
If you took the Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing, mixed it with a Radio Shack parts catalog, and tossed in the early works of William Gibson, you might end up with something like Fashioning Technology by Syuzi Pakhchyan.

Like the Reader's Digest Guide, Fashioning Technology starts out discussing materials, but instead of discussing weaves and knits, warp and weft, the author writes about electroluminescent wire, heat-shrink tubing, and light-emitting diodes. Leaving topics about sewing machines and sergers to other books, Fashioning Technology has tutorials on basic circuits in series and parallel. Were this a different book, the chapter titled "The Art of Soldering" might have been a chapter about embroidery.

The tutorials and materials discussion make up the bulk of the book, but the final third details projects that use the materials and techniques the author described earlier. The projects, which range from clothing, to interior decorations, to toys, are interesting because they show what can be done. Rather than trying to copy the projects, I'm letting them serve as a seed of inspiration for future projects of my own.

This book probably can probably be useful to different types of readers. Stitchers or crafters who are looking for something more than regular sewing might find new possibilities with this book. Likewise, hardware hackers who are looking for other options, might consider some of the info here.

Part of me wants to see more books like this, because I think the book has some shortcomings. The LilyPad Arduino seems like it would have been a natural fit for this book, but it was nowhere to be found. On the other hand, if this book is a bit like dangling your feet in the water of electronics, then a discussion about Arduino would require scuba gear. It's a bit beyond the other topics in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tech you can use and understand, June 17, 2009
I picked this up at the library to check it out and was immediately impressed with it's accessible and easily understood explanation of how to read and use electronic components like resistors, capacitors, transistors and LEDs. Just about the best I've ever seen. I had to add this to my personal collection for that attribute alone. However, there's a lot of basic and easy to grasp instruction and information on materials and production techniques, too.

There are plenty of projects in this book to get you started and if you're half-way creative and imaginative you should be able to springboard off them to come up with your own ideas.

I wish more instructional manuals and books were written as clear and understandable as this one.

Outstanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, clear, and useful, February 17, 2010
I'm very happy I bought this book. I came to it as somebody who is interested in multi-media art and crafting, but with little experience of home made electronics. If you're as clueless as I was don't worry, the author starts at the beginning by providing pictures and descriptions of all the parts you will need, she gives a great introduction to electronics, and her directions are very clear. The projects in the book are varied and fun, but I was more interested in learning how they were made than actually making them. I was able to use what I learned from reading about her projects to make my own designs. At the end of the book there's a very useful list of suppliers of materials, without it I would have found it hard to track some of them down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah Mazing., December 27, 2010
I've been a tinkerer forever, and I'm always trying to really break into basic electronics. As a book learner, I often turn to the internet to get primed for projects or to help level up my skills. With Fashioning Technology, I really feel like I've had a break-through. I've only read the first 40 pages so far, but I've had so many "Aha!" moments already that it's worth it even if it's just a forty page book, but I have 200 more pages, so I can expect several more inspiring revelations. With all the information you can get now for free, this book proves that quality information still has value, and that information is worth more than the cover price of this book.

The electronics tutorials in this book are invaluable. They are written in a way that I can really "get" while remaining just as technical as they need to be. I can't wait to finish this book and start using some of the new materials and techniques to create new and interesting projects. Then I can let go of the book long enough to let my girlfriend have a look at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool book, great ideas, March 27, 2009
Kelly Ness (Long Beach, California United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a wealth of information for those looking to start delving into the world of 'soft circuits' and smart materials. It is for the beginner, and includes detailed information on circuits and parts, as well as explanations of the latest smart materials and their usages. In the last section of the book, there are easy-to-follow instructions on making a variety of projects that will inspire anyone on the possibilities for these materials.

Happy crafting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun For Fashion Techies, August 13, 2008
Dan McKinnon (Tewksbury, MA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
'Fashioning Technology: A DIY Intro to Smart Crafting' is a great book for fashion hobbyists that love creating things to wear and play with. With this book it's all about making clothes and toys with a tech edge. Over 200 pages are dedicated to make things like glow bags, luminescent tables, and funky headphones. You'll learn about the magic of what LEDs can do for nearly anything and how the electronics work.

Get out your soldering iron and start having fun!!!

***** RECOMMENDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-fashionista loves the tech primers, November 16, 2013
Amazon Customer (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
It took me awhile to pick up this book because I am not interested in Fashion (take a look in my closet for proof) and crafting doesn’t make my Top Ten list either. But I do like technology and electronics and making stuff so when I finally did start reading it I wish I had got to it sooner.

The primers on electronic components, material, tools and the like are better than I’ve seen in books dedicated to those subjects.

For example, the author explains why LEDs are cool (literally and figuratively) and describes all the different types (standard, high flux, bicolor, tricolor, etc.). She leads you through your first basic circuit with LEDs using a battery, LED, a resistor and alligator clips. From there you learn about building circuits with a breadboard. The pictures and drawings are big, clear and colorful.

You get a mini electronics course as she describes serial vs. parallel, Ohm’s Law, batteries and other basics. Troubleshooting a circuit teaches how to use meters and measuring voltage, current and the like. You also get a terrific primer on soldering.

It reminded me of an intro (Steve) Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar column in BYTE magazine but with more color and photos.

Normally I would skip chapters with titles like The Basics of Screen printing or Sewing Soft Circuits but the pictures and explanations are so good that I read them.

The projects themselves weren’t really for me but they were cool and great practice for a budding circuit builder. They are broken down into 3 areas: Wearables, Home Accents and Interactive Toys. The Wearables section includes an LED bracelet and a Space Invaders tote for example.

The Home Accents section includes Photochromic Blinds and a Luminescent Tea Table. Interactive Toys include E-puppets and a Solar Crawler.

Not surprising when you consider that the author is (according to her publisher O’Reilly) “an User Experience Designer, robotics instructor, writer, blogger and a seasoned tinkerer.”

I recommend this book for anyone who wants a good basic course in electronics and modern materials and even more so for someone who wants to mess with these tools and techniques to come up with unique and fun stuff.

Fashioning Technology: A DIY Intro to Smart Crafting (Craft: Projects)
Used & New from: $15.57