Fashions in Makeup: From Ancient to Modern Times
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$85.91 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 3, 2007
I found this book the best source of information. It covers all the products,trends, uses of products and solutions and even describes where the influences of each period come from. It does not have a 'how-to recreate...' section or photographs, but this is not what u want anyway. It helped me in every way when I had to research a period for a job or my assessments. I think it is a must have for every person involved with make-up, beauty etc.
on April 17, 2009
I've checked out the 1972 version of this book so things may have changed between volumes--my only complaint would be that there are no color photographs, and make-up is all about color!

After reading many books on the topic of historical make-up, costume and hair styles, this is the most comprehensive coverage of the topic. It covers every culture of the world for the past 5000 years, everything from the materials cosmetics jars and makeup were made of in ancient Egypt to today's trends. What you may find yourself marveling about is how little things have really changed!

Despite its incredible detail, Corson's writing style is vivid but scholarly--it's such a relief to have a fun topic so thoroughly covered in an engaging way. Even for people not in the industries involved, it's a great read.
on January 12, 2014
Heavy duty book. It was a bit of a dry read but is an exemplary reference text so I guess that can be expected. I keep it on hand...haven't touched it since I read it but I'm sure I will pick it up again when I research various eras for different projects. I'm not in love with this book. I would have loved more visuals throughout the text. For the price I paid I thought it would have more color photos. I was under the impression that it was similar to a text book. I must have come from a time when textbooks had pictures because I was genuinely surprised that a book about a visual art lacked in that area. The information the book carries, however, is valuable.
on February 15, 2010
This book was very informative as I had a dissertation about The History of Make Up.
Pictures are all in black and white, but if it information you want - it is filled with it.