5.0 out of 5 stars Time's up ... Well actually the time is right
Published 9 months ago by Sharon Sherry

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But With Reservations
Published 9 months ago by OliverS

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But With Reservations, February 12, 2014
After reading the reviews and seeing that the author has a best-selling book within the dieting field, I bought this one with high hopes. Let me divulge here that I'm a qualified personal trainer and have worked in a gym for five years using HIT with many of my clients. HIT truly is the most superior method of training for weight loss or any number of exercise related goals. Unfortunately I was left underwhelmed by this book; please let me explain.

I'll start with the positives and say that Fast Exercise is extremely well written; I understand the author is a journalist. I applaud the book and the writer for bringing HIT to the attention of more people - It works truly well. Now onto my criticisms:

First of all, the book references many studies, which I applaud, but precious few of these actually compare HIT to other forms of training which leaves you unable to see for yourself just how superior HIT is against the competition.

This being an exercise book, I would expect to put it down and be motivated to exercise. Unfortunately it falls a little flat here. Early on we are given statistics on arthritis and how exercise can cause and exacerbate this, yet we are given no council on reducing the risks. We are only told that we can expect crippling injury if we take part in this form of exercise. This should never be the case with a varied regime and good exercise preparation.

The book mentions some of the benefits of HIT, ie, weight loss, improved athletic performance and VO2 max. But it fails to mention some of the many other benefits such as beta endorphins or improving your tolerance to strenuous activity by pushing back your anaerobic threshold. The author sells HIT severely short here.

My real problem with the book is when the reigns are given over to the co-author who gets more into the specifics of HIT. Many of the exercise explanations are inadequate to say the least which will be a problem for novices. Dangerously, she advises us to run up flights of stairs and then take the lift back down. This is so bad I don't even know where to begin. If you work at all-out intensity and then stop and wait for the lift, you will suffer from extreme blood pooling, which for unfit or elderly participants could be debilitating. Why not just walk down the stairs?

She talks down the importance of post-workout stretching and then says that delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is caused by working out. It isn't necessarily - DOMS is caused by prolonged negative exercise such as lowering heavy weights or carrying out stepping. In fact, post-workout stretching is one thing that can alleviate DOMS, yet we're told to not really bother with it. We are also told that pre-workout stretching is a waste of time and I do agree with her on this point. However we are also advised not to bother too much with warming up, which I strongly disagree on, especially when performing HIT at an all-out intensity. You won't be exercising for very long, even by HIT standards if you don't warm up.

I think the most disappointing aspect of the book is the rigidity of the suggested HIT protocols. We are given a short list of them and then pretty much expected to go along with them with little or no guidance as to how we can progress from there or how we can tailor them to our own fitness levels. It's simply 3 x 20 seconds with rest in between etc. There is literally no guidance on using our own protocols or on some of the famous existing protocols such as Fartlek, which isn't even mentioned.

Some of the suggested exercises I would never use for HIT because they are nowhere near intense enough such as reverse curls and planks which have absolutely no place in a HIT workout. Unfortunately, there are many wonderful HIT exercises that aren't included such as burpees, squat jumps and some of the dozens of kettlebell exercise.

I disagree with some of the nutrition advice. We are advised not to eat carbs before a HIT session. Wrong! We should be eating carbs prior to all-out exercise because that is precisely the fuel the body uses when exercising at high intensity. If you have no glycogen from carbohydrates in your working muscles then the body will cannibalise its own muscle protein - Clearly the opposite of what we want regardless of our aims.

Approaching the end of the book, we are treated to filler content such as sections on Ways To Overcome Your Inner Couch Potato and the Guide To Being Active, both of which I've read in numerous places on the internet.

I was disappointed that the actual book finishes at 70% of the way in and from there it becomes Endnotes and Index. That's nearly a third of the entire book which you won't read.

In conclusion, I hope this book brings attention to how wonderful HIT is and in that respect it succeeds very well, especially if it gets people exercising. But there are much better books available on the subject, most notably HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training Explained which will leave you educated and most importantly motivated. But Fast Exercise is an ideal starting point which should get you on your bike and doing some hard, if short, yet effective exercise.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointed, March 25, 2014
I was surprisingly disappointed by this book. What should have been a clean and easy exercise program to accompany the FastDiet book (e.g., exercises and content focusing on weight loss) was instead mostly text describing why exercise is important, a couple of exercises with a few 'icon' like pictures, and then more discussions about why exercise is important. It's not set up for either those starting out or for those with a more advanced exercise regimen. As well, a lot of the exercises need gym equipment and aren't really suitable or even comfortable for those overweight (such as running or jumping jacks, both of which could really be damaging to knees, etc.).

The book chapters are broken down as follows: Truth about exercise, What is fast exercise?, Th workouts, Fast exercise in practice, Michael's guide to keeping active, Before you go..., Fast fitness, Fast strength. Out of 117 or so pages, about 20 actually show you the exercises. Most (if not all) you've seen before: jumping jacks, push ups, wall sit... Although the exercises are described with very simple illustrations, the author doesn't give you ways in which the exercises could be done incorrectly, assuming everyone does it correctly.

There is a LOT of text here and a lot to comb through once you've read it and just want to get back to the exercises. There is a lot that could have been done to make this much more friendly. The author's tone is great, knowledgeable yet encouraging, but I have to admit I was also put off quite a bit about everything being about him. I don't want to know about exercise that worked for him - I want to know about exercise that works the general population - I somehow doubt he is a near obese premenopausal 47 year old woman, for example. But I don't see a lot about male-female differences either.

So while I don't find this to be a bad book, I think a lot could of been done to make this easier to use, follow, and even be motivated. I appreciate the great information in the book, especially the latest information on how/why we do exercise and corrections from the aerobic days. But I want more show, not tell, or I end up sitting on my butt reading instead of exercising.

Reviewed from an ARC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time's up ... Well actually the time is right, February 5, 2014
Just like the Fast Diet book, Michael Mosley and co-writer (for this one) Peta have delivered a great book. The premise is much the same - the offer of a way around the hard slog of diet and exercise with results they have proven by putting their own skin on the line. Everything is bearable (except torture) when it's only for a short while. The fasting and the mad high intensity training. As someone who has been big for years I am seeing slow results but, trust me, if I can do it anyone can. Not everything works for everyone but the Fast Diet and Fast Exercise are working for me and a few people around me. Really you have no excuse not to give it a go. The three books on Kindle cost less than an artery clogging meal in a restaurant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, February 21, 2014
Overly repetitive and could have been contained in a few pages or one chapter. Sells the other book on diet over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy to understand!, March 25, 2014
Just saw this on Good Morning America and got it right away. The science is interesting, of course, but I skipped ahead to the exercises, which are easy to understand and offer lots of variety. Seems like it'll be great for people who love the gym and people who don't (like me!!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 4, 2014
A very good book and well explained it helped me to excerise more often because I could do it quicker

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Book, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Fast Exercise (Paperback)
excellent source for weight loss exercise.
honestly this guy knows what he is talking about
his research and evidence is fascinating
exercise half as much and lose almost double
interval exercise beats the heck out of those long hour or more sessions at the gym
you can use equipment or free body style or exercise bike works best for me
don't get me wrong you will get that cardio up but for short intervals
35 minutes for me and Im out of there!

4.0 out of 5 stars Credible, informed and dispassionate, February 11, 2014
Writer well qualified as a medical practitioner to give objective account of benefits without the fanaticism of many other proponents of exercise and diet regimes. He was also prepared to be a guinea pig as in his previous book on the 5:2 diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 for fast health, July 22, 2014
Make your health 5 stars with this program. With the rise of obesity, diabetes and what follows- heart disease and cancer we all need a exercise program, especially one that can make us less insulin resist and still be able to eat a balanced diet. Pills and or supplements alone will not do it, exercise and a good diet are required. Diet is not covered in this book- fast fit intense exercise strength fitness is. Oh stand while reading or at least get up and walk around every half hour. WHY; read this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 10, 2014
The value of the content was extremely valuable if not life changing. Much of the method has been "around" some decades, but the scientific twist and validation are new. I plan to act on the methods myself. However, I found the writing style to be lacking and often confusing; the direction of thought had you interested if not excited, but left you dangling and hunting for the expected conclusion. I often felt the urge to re-write it: Not well organized.

Fast Exercise
Fast Exercise by Peta Bee (Paperback - December 19, 2013)
Used & New from: $3.00