Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 4, 2012
This book has completely changed our life. It is the last organizing book I will ever need.

My husband has Asperger's syndrome, and feels highly irritated in spaces that have a lot of clutter. They really agitate him, and cause him to feel extremely uncomfortable. I tend to be a clutterbug by nature, and once I learned more about Aspergers, and learned about what some of his triggers are, I tried buying dozens of organizing books. None of them truly inspired me and spoke to me. None of them spoke my language. I was adding to the clutter by buying more books that weren't working for us. Things were looking bleak. Then finally, somebody on apartmenttherapy.com suggested this book as their favorite organizing book of all time. Desperate, I bought this one too and gave it a go. Finally, everything clicked for me. While reading it, I had one "AHA!" moment after the other. The task of getting our home simplified and minimal no longer felt like a daunting task, but instead felt so much more doable and more simple than I had ever made it feel before. I was making things way too hard, by insisting that it either be done perfectly, or not at all. If I fell in love with an expensive storage system while perusing a store or the internet, and it cost an absolute fortune, but I was madly in love with it, I felt as if I couldn't get that closet or space organized until I could afford that organizing solution. If I wanted to pull our LPs out of their boxes and onto shelving, I felt like I couldn't do it until I could find the time to alphabetize every album. And I could never find the time. Especially with a toddler underfoot. So I just kept putting things off, making plans so big that I was forever waiting for the perfect moment, or the perfect income to be able to pull it all off.

Once reading this book, I quickly understood what all of my pitfalls were. I suddenly realized that ANY amount of organization was better than us living this way for a moment longer. The next thing I knew, I found myself at dollar stores, or IKEA, or even thrift stores, looking for really inexpensive but practical design solutions. I began organizing entire closets for $50 or less, labeling everything, and getting rid of a ton of our stuff. I began to move so quickly, almost from the start. "Fast and Furious", just like the book claims. We have only owned this book for 3 weeks, and our apartment is about 70% organized at this point. We see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is GLORIOUS.

My husband LOVES being home now. We hardly ever fight at all, especially here at home. He is so relaxed, and so happy, and is rarely agitated anymore. Our toddler seems to enjoy the extra space to play in, and he is learning how to put things away where they go. We are saving money by knowing where things are, so we don't buy duplicates anymore. I am so proud of our home, and I actually donated all 11 of the other organizing books we owned. They turned out to be nothing but clutter.

There were a few tidbits of advice in this book that didn't work at all with me. She says to forgo the label maker. This was a "no can do" for me, because I am something of a perfectionist. When I was trying to write out my own labels as she suggests, I wouldn't like the way I wrote something. It would be too crooked, or messy, etc. It would annoy me so much, I would write the label all over again until I got it just right. I decided that this tip was not for me, and went back to my label maker. Once I did, I started created labels at lightening speed, blasting them out left and right and slapping them onto everything. So you have to know yourself well enough to know what truly works for you and what doesn't. Take what advice you love best, and ignore what you don't. There were a few tips of hers I ignored because I didn't think they would work well for me, and we are still a massive success story over here.

Many thanks to the author for transforming our entire family. We will always be grateful!
on November 16, 2010
This book helped me think about organizing in a simpler, more accessable way. I'm not good with lots of steps and things to memorize, and Mrs. Pinsky keeps it ruthlessly simple. Her methods rely on efficiency rather than some of the other less helpful values in our society - consumerism, over-preparedness, hyper-vigilance, looking good, perfectionism, etc. - so the process becomes very personal - what's efficient for me, what works for me. I finished the book, went into my very messy kitchen, started at the bottom and whipped it into shape! She says, the success is not in 'it never gets messy', but rather in 'when it does get messy, it takes mere minutes per room to neaten up' - and she's right. Thanks for keeping it simple.
on September 24, 2011
Less than 1 month ago I bought & read the Fast and Furious method. It has changed my life. I've always hated my clutter, but never knew the steps to conquer it.
In less than a month- every room, every closet, every drawer in my house/garage is de-cluttered & organized! But this lifestyle change has impacted the rest of my life in ways that were unfathomable to me from "just" an organizing book.

My house is cleaner- less to dust.

I'm saving money- I no longer shop for recreation.

I'm proud of where I live- my rooms are beautiful enough to be shown in a home magazine.

I have more time to enjoy my family- house tidying only takes minutes a day,

I'm less stressed- filing/ bill paying is more efficient & on time. I have a relaxing & peaceful environment

Better environmental impact - only buying what I need.

All of the above items, in turn, lead me to be a better role model for my children!

This book gave me what other organizational books have not. This is not just a bunch of tips on how to be organized. It is a step by step chronological list of things to do to actually change your rooms (& your habits) to live clutter free.
If I (a former clutter-junkie) a single working mom of 3, can change my whole household in under a month, ANYONE can!
on January 18, 2011
This is one of the best books on home organization and uncluttering that I've read. I like the no-nonsense approach the author takes as she encourages the reader that efficiency is the goal, not perfection or fancy organization systems that look nice but may not be practical.

The five steps of organizing are plan, weed and sort, remove, name, and containerize. Pinsky also outlines the common pitfalls many people fall into when they embark on an organization project or the ones that may have caused possessions to get out of hand in the first place. Some of these include the need to make it perfect, the need to keep something because you might need it someday (even though you haven't used it in the last decade), the need to keep every gift, and the need to have a complete collection of something, to name a few.

This is a great book for the chronically unorgainized. those who feel overwhelmed by the task of getting rid of excess and organizing what is left, or those who simply need the motivation to start. There are lots of photos and every area of the home is included.
on November 22, 2010
This is a different organizing book in that it shows you before and after photos. You get a good feel for what the goal of organizing really is. The book is organized into two main sections: Part I: the 5 step method - plan, weed and sort, remove, name to create boundaries, containerize and Part II: room-by-room guide in which she goes over her step methods. Lots of photos and fast and furious tips and other tips in blue. I understand the author created simplified solutions with those who have ADD in mind. But these solutions can be used for everyone. I'm helping my sister reorganize and the tips for her movie collection is "reject categories of "jazz" or "action movie"...a simple no-fuss solution is roughly file alphabetically so everyone can locate and file their choice...And my favorite tip, "paying more will help you own less." Simple, no-fuss suggestions for real families with photos.
on February 19, 2012
A friend has this book and I only had to read a page or two to see it was a different approach to eliminating clutter and that I wanted the book.

This book is an inspiring and practical guide to cleaning up and clearing out a home that has gotten out of hand with stuff. It is clear, well-written, well-organized, and has examples of how the advice has been used. There is step-by-step guidance on how to do the fast and furious part, and how to work out the more long-term organizational issues. The author does not advise pretty containers but gives clear insight into why that needs to go away and why it's okay to get rid of things. She even gives ideas of how long it will take to do a particular room and how to block out the time.

I am finding it very useful and I do believe I'll finally be able not only to clear out, but to keep cleared out and be happy about it.
on May 24, 2012
This is one of the best, if not THE best book I've read on organizing the home, period. After many years I realized I have slowly been coming to the same conclusions and principles that the author has clearly outlined (items must conform to available storage, and efficiency of use is important -- if things are not efficient to use and put away they won't STAY organized). What I love most about this book is that she describes not only the end result but the *process* of organizing a room, from beginning to end. I am in the middle of organizing a home after moving in with my BF, and while I understood that a lot of clutter needed to go and that similar items needed to be grouped in containers, I was still feeling overwhelmed. Having this book has been like having a professional organizer hold my hand while going through the process. In addition, there are many beautiful full-color, detailed examples throughout the book. Her examples don't rely on specialized, hard-to-find containers and customized solutions, but items that are readily accessible in major stores.
on November 25, 2011
I've read many organizing books and this one is one of the best. Real life pictures were helpful too. Very thoughtful advice about looking at how you really live and how to make your surroundings more efficient and useful.
on August 8, 2013
1.) Plan 2.) weed and sort 3.) remove 4.) name to create boundaries 5.) containerize.
Anyone who is motivated can follow these steps, and because the author give a how-to in every room of the house, by the book's end, the steps are very ingrained in the reader's mind.
My favorite of the steps is "name to create boundaries", as in the living room is the living room, not the laundry room or the office, so having stacks of laundry or paperwork in the living room doesn't make sense! Have those items in the laundry room and the office.
Buy this book! But only if it's not going to end up in a pile of clutter and you are really ready to use it!
on February 25, 2015
I am an organizer and have read many organizing books over the years. This is by far my favorite. So many people think that organizing has to be fussy or overcomplicated. Pinsky makes a powerful and eloquent case for a less fussy, more useful approach. There is so much to learn from and think about in this book. I wish I could better convey how much I admire this book. I couldn't recommend it more highly.