5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Cake Pans
Published on April 29, 2009 by The Sanctimonious One

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding???
Received the Fat Daddio's Anodized Aluminum Round Cake Pans (ordered four)and was pleased to see the size and shape to be perfect for my baking needs. Unfortunately have been trying to remove the label within the interior of the pans to no avail. Actually scrubbed and removed the surface on one. This is ridiculous! The outside oval sticker came off like a charm; big...
Published 15 months ago by FABBAKER

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Cake Pans, April 29, 2009
This review is from: Fat Daddio's Anodized Aluminum Round Cake Pan, 9-Inch x 2-Inch (Kitchen)
Picked up two of these after watching Americas Test Kitchen and getting a serious sweet tooth for a yellow cake that they made. After consulting Alton Brown's kitchen hardware book, I decided to eschew the normal nonstick brands that you find all over Bed, Bath and Beyond and similar stores and sought out all aluminum pans. For those who don't know aluminum, like copper, provides excellent even heat distribution, which is essential for all serious cooking and consistent results.

I picked up two Fat Daddio's pans after reading the numerous reviews praising them. I will simply add my voice to the din. They are light, very attractive and, most importantly, do an excellent job at baking. 9 inches is an optimal diameter, but also you really need to have at least a 2 inch height for the rim so the cake doesn't overflow while baking. My cake came out superb and the pans were easy to clean. Fat Daddio's is just an awesome name for a pan manufacturer too. I plan to get far more Fat Daddio's pans for future baking.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad, and the annoying (with fix!), November 21, 2010
Since buying my first Fat Daddio's pan a few months ago, I've now gradually acquired seven more. These are IMHO the good, bad, and annoying-but-fixable about the pans in general.. Starting with the Bad, since it's only one:

The Bad:

Overall quality control is perhaps not as good as it COULD be. Out of the 8 different F.D. baking pans I've bought, two of them had at least one edge that was not 'finished' properly and was shiny, non-anodized, and raw enough to either scrape or cut skin. That said, Amazon promptly processed an exchange as soon as I notified them about it. One of the replacement pans came in what I'd consider less-than-new condition: numerous black scratches that did not wash off, a total absence of either the Fat Daddio long peel-off sticker OR the square barcode sticker, and the bottom of the pan was dented. So I sent that back for a replacement. On the one hand, 3 bad pans out of 9 = 33% problem-ratio, which is not good; but 9 pans is a very small sample and I could just have been unlucky in the Warehouse Lottery, who knows?

The Good:

Love that they are anodized aluminum rather than the plain tinny stuff (I no longer use nonstick anything). I normally line the bottom of my pans with parchment but am too lazy to grease the sides -- yet these don't stick.

Love how the square and rectangular pans have STRAIGHT sides, not tapered; they are the proper size throughout, not like most other brands that are only 9x5 (for instance) along the top but the bottoms may measure closer to 8x4.

Great cleanup with little effort.

Lightweight without being flimsy. I had a pair of 8" round Calphalons a few years ago that were probably half the weight empty as the batters that got put into them!

Fat Daddio's has apparantly paid attention to the chorus of moans and groans about those *&&%$$##!!!! stickers with the impossible glue, because a few of the pans I recently bought had peel-off no-glue stickers. (the not so good news is that there is probably a ton of old-sticker stock left in the warehouse)

The Annoying (but fixable):

Those old style stickers range from Fairly Easy to Nonstop Cursing level as far as removal goes. After 8 different pans I've developed a 3-Step Method depending on sticker grade.

Step 1: Remove as much of the outer (printed) part of the sticker as possible. The long Fat Daddio's label on the pan sides peel off but often leave glue behind. The barcode sticker on the pan bottoms usually need some hot water applied to get the printed layer off.

Step 2: Use Goo Gone on the inevitable glue left behind. Usually 2 or 3 applications are needed. This usually (but not always) works on the long-label glue, but doesn't work as well on the bottom-label glue.

Step 3: Any glue residue that remains resistant to Goo Gone will surrender to nail polish remover (either acetone or non-acetone; I used the non-acetone type). Weirdly, nailpolish remover does not work well at all on its own -- apparantly the glue needs to be softened up or otherwise affected by Goo Gone first, before it can do its thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 6" pans, October 4, 2010
Mrs. J (La Mesa, CA) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend these 6" cake pans - they work great and give you more flexibility in baking smaller quantities. These hold 4 cups of batter, and a 9" circle cake pans holds 8 cups (these quantities vary slightly based on the height of the pan - I'm using my own pan measurements). So you just divide a 9" cake recipe by two if you want to bake it in this 6" pan. [Don't over-fill as there is sometimes a slight differential when splitting recipes in how much things rise...or just bake on a rimmed baking sheet if you're not sure.] I personally bought two of these so that I can make layer cakes. They work well and seem to be made of high quality metal.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cake pans I've always wanted, with one caveat, January 5, 2011
Ripley (PFLUGERVILLE, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I own three of these cake pans. Eventually I plan to try a single taller cake, but for now I have just baked three thin layers separately for cakes like Italian Cream and German Chocolate.

The good:
These pans are heavy enough to feel substantial without being unwieldy, and I like the rounded top edge. They bake beautifully. I get an evenly baked, flat cake layer--no bump or hill in the middle like my cheap cake pans. The cake releases easily from the pan. I use either Crisco and flour or Pam baking spray with a parchment round in the bottom. The cake always pulls away from the side of the pan slightly as it cools, which means no more need to run a knife around the edge to release. They also clean easily with soap, water, and a scrub brush.

The bad:
The labels are a pain to remove. There is a smaller bar code label on the bottom and a longer branding label along the side. The bar code label has to be scrubbed and soaked and then treated with Goo Gone. The branding label peels off more easily but leaves tape residue behind. Treating both areas with Goo Gone made it better but did not entirely remove the label residue. I'll have to try someone else's tip that I just read to use nail polish remover as the final removal step.

I also wanted to note that these cake pans do not stack one inside the other for storage like the cheaper versions will. If kitchen space is a consideration, this may be a hassle until you figure out a new storage option. I personally think the trade-off in performance is worth the extra storage space.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, October 2, 2010
If you want a great cake pan that will take your baking to the next level, you are on the right page. In the 10 years that I have been baking (for my family, I'm not a pro) I have never seen such an evenly baked cake!! The sides and bottom come out perfectly golden all around every time and as long as you know how to deal with a "stick" surface (e.g. butter and flour) you will be very happy with the results. I love these pans and am blown away by their quality and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice deep pan, December 14, 2007
What can you say about a pan? I wanted a three inch deep pan because a recipe for cranberry upside-down cake spilled over a two inch pan. This one worked fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Pans, August 30, 2010
MJ "MJ" (Portsmouth, Rhode Island United States) - See all my reviews
I've tried several brands of cake pans in the past, and I believe that the Fat Daddio's pans are the best. The cake bakes evenly and pops out of the pan, barely leaving a crumb behind. I plan on replacing all my other cake pans with Fat Daddio's.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!, October 11, 2010
First I bought another brand of the 8" aluminum pan and was not happy with all the leaching at all! I was going to then buy a Wilton, but was intrigued by the reviews of the Fat Daddio's and especially the anodized feature. After dealing with the regular aluminum this sounded like the answer...and it is! I bought 2 of these and baked a cake yesterday using them and was thrilled with the results. Absolutely no leaching, even using butter in the pans. I'm using them again today and feel confident that I will get the same results. Love the seamless feature too. Best pans I have ever used! Now I need to order more sizes to replace my present ones.

10-20-2010 I just received my order of an 11 x 2" pan and already baked a cake in it! I wanted it to replace the customary 9x13" sheet cake, which to me couldn't be more boring! It is the perfect size for that. Totally thrilled with these pans. Now I can't wait to take it to some holiday functions. I bet I'll be the only one to bring a 11" round cake!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cakepan, September 20, 2010
Anna (State College, PA) - See all my reviews
I bought this cakepan after it was mentioned in one of my favorite baking blogs. Its a great pan. The unusual width and depth is perfect for making narrow cakes with several layers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, October 10, 2011
I made a three tier cake for my niece's first birthday so I bought three of these. I baked the cakes and let them sit covered in the pans for about 24 hours (so they wouldn't dry out as I made 4 dozen cupcakes and a zillion other confections for the dessert table). When it came time to make the cake I just plopped the pan upside down on a cutting board and the cake jumped out, looking just perfect! The cakes were very evenly mounded, moist, and wonderful.