5.0 out of 5 stars Should be Required Reading, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
If everyone followed this lifestyle plan we would have far fewer health problems in this county. Basically, eat the right amount of calories of the right types of foods and exercise doing cardio and weight training. All good, normal advice put into an easy to follow plan. Simple calculations to determine how much you should eat, most people eat way too few calories when dieting. Following the advice in this book, you will lose fat slowly 1/2-1 maybe 2 pounds a week if you are heavier. This plan is how we know we should eat but few of us do. Very easy to follow and you eat so much food that you aren't hungry, but if you happen to be, you know a meal or snack is just an hour or so away so you can wait. Great advice regarding preserving muscle. That's probably the very most important information because so few people do resistance training and we all need to. If you prefer the no exercise, take a pill approach to losing fat, then this book is not for you. Best to crash diet a few more times and lose a bit more muscle and only then will you appreciate the advice in this book. Always the bottom line, calories in and calories out, but with this book you will learn how to turn your body back into the fat burning machine it was when you were younger. Also love the Fat 2 Fit podcast on iTunes. Can't say enough good things about this book - real easy read and no funky foods or exercise equipment needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-Changer, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
The no-nonsense, no-hype, science-based weight loss philosophy discussed in this book has had a huge impact on my attitude and motivation (and success) at shedding some excess fat. Fat loss takes patience, which I never fully appreciated until adopting their approach. With the knowledge-based confidence that the approach will work--has to work--it makes me much less impatient...which makes it easier to lose fat the right way and know that I will keep it off. I especially appreciate the insights about how counter-productive under-eating can be. You do need to reduce your calories consumed to lose fat, but if you're going hungry, you're doing it wrong.

Their approach really helps you see through the vast amount of noise out there in the weigh-loss world and gives you the confidence to be patient for the long-term payoff of a fit, healthy body. I wish I'd had this book 10 years ago. I would recommend this book to anyone fed up with the trendy, fad diet nonsense that seems to be everywhere you look. This is the real deal. Their podcast is fantastic, too.

As for the book itself, I was happy to find that it was not padded with 150 pages of recipes or photos of exercise demonstrations. It's very information-dense, but it's also broken up into very small chapters so you never feel like you're slogging through pages and pages of the same idea restated from every angle. This book covers a lot of ground, and does it in a very accessible way. Click on the "Look Inside!" icon at the top of the page to see how the book is laid out. I was surprised by how much of the book they made available.

The ideas in this book are not too good to be true, they're just the truth. Finally. I feel like I'm now fully immunized against whatever the next batch of "weight-loss revelation" or "berry-extract" nonsense that comes out. What a relief!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the Best Overall Healthy Weight Book I Have Read, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
As someone who has read a TON of "diet" books (mainly because I am interested in new ideas about how to eat well and live a healthy, functional life--not planning to follow everything), I say this may be the best "overall healthy weight book I have ever read" for a number of reasons:

1) I found this book to be 100% worthwhile read. There was no pure "fluff," uninteresting/unhelpful/rehashing of the same-old same-old. General "weight loss" books are a dime a dozen these days and the new ones seem to have only one or two useful new arguments to make about why you should eat a certain way. That's not entirely un-interesting, but it's not always helpful either--and it can get tedious to read book after book that isn't exactly saying anything new and have to wade through 80-90% fluff to get to the new kernel.

2) I found the POV of the authors very trustworthy and sound. The book does cover stuff I have read before, but that material in this book comes through not as a rehashing, but as necessary context for considering all of the most common and relevant research/perspective on each area covered by the book. That said, there is not a lot of citing of studies (specifically), but I know form having read widely in the field that the more general references are accurate.

3)The structure of the book is really useful and engaging. There are answers to callers questions (and the questions chosen for the book tended to be ones that aren't already answered in every other diet book, and so were very well chosen); sections on exercise, nutrition, motivation, etc.

4) Aside from recommending that you eat like the person you want to be (healthier, perhaps lighter, etc.), the book does not advocate for one particular approach (eat all protein! don't eat too much! eat low fat! Eat fat!); rather it put all of that advice in context (explains why depending on your needs, some of that advice might work better for you than others) and suggests ways of finding out what suits you best.

My only gripe about the book is the cost. It is expensive for one of these books--too expensive in my opinion. But if you are done with diet "fads" and just want a book that "keeps it real" (talks to you like a real person, not a scientist or infomercial) and gives you the general scope of the best health info currently available, this is worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down to earth solutions, May 21, 2014
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
If your looking for a great diet plan this book isn't for you. If your looking to change your lifestyle for long term eating goals and weight loss with maintenance techniques then this book is for you. This will be the last weight loss book you will ever need. Stick to the plan and keep in mind that this book requires your long term commitment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good information, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
I heard the podcast first and I thought it would be great to rewiew it and read it whenever I wanted. I had bought it twice for my family and to share it with others too. I think there's great advice and encouragment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last book on lifestyle change, July 17, 2013
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
This is the last book on lifestyle changing that I will ever need to read. No "diet" is involved. Just good living with healthy foods and less processed foods, more moving, and tracking calories so you stay within your range. I have apparently been not eating enough calories going by all the "other" sites, books, etc. telling me to eat 1,200 to lose weight. I read this book, realized how much I could actually eat and when I started eating MORE the pounds started falling off. I couldn't believe it. All this time I've been "starving" myself with 1,200 calories. So, if you want to get your life back and live the life you were meant to live in a body you want, this is the book for you!! You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
Good, sensible advice. It really stresses calories and I've found that just looking at calories alone isn't helping me as much as it used to. Now I'm focusing on my macros. That advice is there but it is really helpful for beginners looking to make life changes more than advanced exercisers and lifetime dieters (read: not yo-yo'ers).

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this Book, February 2, 2013
Brandi (MIFFLINTOWN, PA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
It was such an easy read and made me realize how crazy some "common knowledge" really is! I recommend this to anyone looking to improve their fitness!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Entertaining!, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
This book is filled with great advice. And if you like the book, you'll love the podcasts. Unfortunately, the podcasts, which started in 2007, ceased a few months ago. If anyone has any info on what's happend to Russ and Jeff, please post it here. There's no info on their website.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There (Paperback)
great book. used book but excellent quality. fast shipment. very informative. best book ever. would buy additional books by this author.

Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There
Fat 2 Fit: Getting There and Staying There by Russ Turley (Paperback - July 20, 2012)
$22.95 $20.66